Freetakt - A Free Kontakt Alternative

cclarry

5 hours ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Downloaded, installed, and tested. Latency issues, sticking notes, uninstalled!!

I was interested in this because I have been looking for an alternative besides TW16x for building my own sample libraries. 

Sorry! I am very happy with TW16x and will stick with it for now.  I hope they continue work on Freetakt as it looks to be a winner.

The ones I would check out if I were seeking to do this would be Decent and Soundpaint. This isn't due to any experience on my part as a creator of libraries, but from a user viewpoint.

I have Soundpaint and it is nice but very CPU hungry it seems. I tried Decent when it first came out and it didn't check all the boxes of features I need to construct an instrument with key switches and multiple layer velocities from scratch. I'll take another look and maybe it has been developed enough. 

As I said, right now, I'm more than happy with TW. I thank you for your advice and time. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Grem said:

Me too. And would support them when that time comes.

This question comes purely out of curiosity, but how would it then be any different from Kontakt? A user would end up paying for either option.

5 hours ago, Grem said:

For freetakt? 

I think the keyword is "free"?

Ah, ok - ignore my misunderstanding. I interpreted your comment saying you "would support them when that time comes" to mean you would pay for it.

6 hours ago, antler said:

mean you would pay for it.

I meant I would try them out, use them, buy sample libraries from them(?) maybe third parties.

I don't think it will stay free.

I am thinking they will ( or should) adapt a model like Reaper. Use it with nag screen till you can afford it. Reaper seems to be able to thrive off of that, why couldn't others? Especially something as widely used as a sampler.