NEW : Orb Synth X

cclarry

orbsynth.thumb.jpg.2d0e587d293585f3ccdc260e4523784e.jpg

It seems there are 2  "osc1"  instead of osc1 and osc2, as well as filter and lfo....plus osc1 in matrix mod is missing a "s".... quick update to 1.0.1 redesigning interface guys....

Edited by pop_life
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, smde said:

I personally felt scammed by this company after what they did to Orb Composer. After that I would not give them even one penny.  Beside that free Vital synth works great.

I'm out of the loop... what did they do to Orb Composer?

14 hours ago, Lionel said:

I'm out of the loop... what did they do to Orb Composer?

Long story short- Very expensive product.  It may be $40 now, but they were asking about $500 at launch, drifting down to about $200.  Shortly thereafter they abruptly deleted their Discord channel (only source of support and information).  There was never any more promised (on the now vaporized Discord channel) development or updates.  They came out later with "Orb Producer".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

Long story short- Very expensive product.  It may be $40 now, but they were asking about $500 at launch, drifting down to about $200.  Shortly thereafter they abruptly deleted their Discord channel (only source of support and information).  There was never any more promised (on the now vaporized Discord channel) development or updates.  They came out later with "Orb Producer".

Ahh, I see.  Thanks for the info

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

FYI- Got this email today.  Seems they realized that they MIGHT have priced this above the market.  IDK if this is even worth the 29€, based on the company history.  No mention of a trial that I can find.  Just a 7 day refund policy.

https://www.orbplugins.com/orb-synth-x/

Orb Synth X Upgrade: New Pricing

Dear Valued Customers,

We have received numerous complaints about the pricing of the Upgrade for the new Orb Synth X, and after reviewing the feedback, we agree that the current pricing is not fair to our loyal and long-time customers. We truly value your continued support, and we want to express our gratitude by offering the Orb Synth X upgrade at a significantly discounted price. As a goodwill gesture, we are happy to announce that the new listed price for the upgrade will be 39€ instead of 99€. Furthermore, we are pleased to offer an additional discount until the end of May, which means that you can purchase the upgrade for 29€ only.

We want to assure our customers who have already paid the old price that they will automatically receive a refund of the difference in price.

Thank you for your continued loyalty and support.

The main problem with this "new synth" is that it's basically the same synth with small changes, but with "new" name.

New features are (please, do not laugh):
1. AUTOMATION!
You may ask why it's even a feature. All synths have possibility to use automation, right?
WRONG! ORB Synth didn't have that option because was not reporting any knobs to DAW so you didn't have any possibility to use automation. Even "last tweaked" in FL works that way - it must first recongize knob by it's name and then you can connect automation to it. In case ORB Synth - your DAW just didn't know that any knob was moved!  So now - great feature - automation is working!

2. NEW EFFECT!
Yeah! You can now use brand new chorus effect! It's FOURTH effect in this synth - after delay, reverb and drive. None of them working so good before, so I don't expect that this chorus will be good. But yes - it's new effect! Not first, not second, not third but FOURTH effect!

3. IMPORT WAVETABLES!
You may not know that, but ORB Synth was wavetable (only) synthesizer without possibility to import custom wavetables (or generate any). Something like tomato soup without tomatoes. Now import custom wavetables is a new feature!

4. Improved unison sound quality
Yes, that is on changelist. Well, previously unison do not work so good, so now I suppose it starts working proper. Great feature. Bugfixing is now a feature!

5. Oscillator fine tune
Should I coment it at all?

6. 100+ presets
Not 20, not 25, not 30, not 35... not 95, not even 100, but 100+ presets! 

7. And much more!
This feature is really great, because there is not enough changes that would justify changing the name and selling the same product a second time. If I add that there is only one glide mode (glide always with retrigger and only in poly mode), last version was released over 2 years ago (and then no fixes, no updates at all), support ignores customers, you cannot be sure that after you save your project, your preset will be restored proper after reload etc. - the only I can say is - STAY AWAY from this synth!

Or buy it. But then don't be surprised if they will release "Orb Synth XX" or "Orb Synth Deluxe" after 1-2 years and you will be forced to pay for update (update, not upgrade, because number of changes is too small for calling it "upgrade").

UPDATE: After a month they change their mind and now they now sell "upgrade" for $29! Wait a little more and they sell it for $5 for everyone, because with their sales policy and not respecting customers, they will not sell more than few copies to people who never saw good synth and buying stuff based on promo description.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, artturner said:

I have the Orb Synth but got it for $1  two years ago. I can't tell if I'm eligible for the upgrade to X for $29 with my $1 synth. Maybe I already have all the wavetable synths I need...

You should be. I got it a $1 as well. If I log in I can add the $29 upgrade to my cart. (but don't know if I would by it)

13 hours ago, Barrie said:

You should be. I got it a $1 as well. If I log in I can add the $29 upgrade to my cart. (but don't know if I would by it)

Is there a specific link or way to add the upgrade? I'm signed in, I have Orb Synth in my downloads, but if I hit buy now on X, it puts it in my cart at $127.