Z3ta

3 minutes ago, Mister Cakewalk sonar said:

I installed cakewalk Bandlab for free from the site through the installer, but what about these plugins? maybe after years they are free? Z3TA 2, what's wrong with her now?

Groove synth, Z3ta1, Dimension, Cakewalk Rapture, RgcAudio Pentagon are not free. The downloads are still available from a legacy Cakewalk Sonar account, but for registered legacy users only. They would need to have been registered to your account prior to November 2017. In other words, it's too late to create a new account, but if you had an old account, BandLab support can assist with resetting the password.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Gibson-Announcement

http://www.cakewalk.com/announcement

TTS-1 is among the plugins that BandLab has bundled for free with CbB. The other legacy Sonar plugins that you mentioned have never been re-released since BandLab acquired Cakewalk's software. There is nothing wrong with them (other than age), but it has been BandLab's decision as the new owner not to distribute them.

23 minutes ago, Mister Cakewalk sonar said:

I installed cakewalk Bandlab for free from the site through the installer, but what about these plugins? maybe after years they are free? Z3TA 2, what's wrong with her now?

Nothing is wrong, it is I'm an Old Fart and started on version 1 🤣

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, abacab said:

Groove synth, Z3ta1, Dimension, Cakewalk Rapture, RgcAudio Pentagon are not free. The downloads are still available from a legacy Cakewalk Sonar account, but for registered legacy users only. They would need to have been registered to your account prior to November 2017. In other words, it's too late to create a new account, but if you had an old account, BandLab support can assist with resetting the password.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Gibson-Announcement

http://www.cakewalk.com/announcement

TTS-1 is among the plugins that BandLab has bundled for free with CbB. The other legacy Sonar plugins that you mentioned have never been re-released since BandLab acquired Cakewalk's software. There is nothing wrong with them (other than age), but it has been BandLab's decision as the new owner not to distribute them.

I don't have an account.

@Mister Cakewalk sonar Do you have proof that you paid for the older products?  Not sure if Support can help if you do have the proof of purchase, but I doubt they can help if you don't have any proof.

ADDENDUM:  I took another look at your post. Are saying that you never paid for any of the older products and that you want these for free now?

5 hours ago, Mister Cakewalk sonar said:

I have a more general question, Groove synth, Z3ta1, TTS-1, Dimension, Cakewalk Rapture, RgcAudio Pentagon, are they free ? where can I download them?

By the way, if you installed Cakewalk by Bandlab, you should have TTS-1.

Edited by User 905133
to add an addendum after re-reading the latest set of posts

TTS-1 downloaded

it's a shame that so many outdated, but still excellent products will just lie there and no one will be able to use them.

for example, there is a great synth SampleMoog 1, it was replaced with another product, I tried to find out if it became publicly available, they told me no, which means it will be unattended and forgotten about, I like this sound, but it can no longer be bought.

but I wonder if Sonar is now free, then surely the previous versions of, let's say, legacy should also not be for a fee?

Edited by Mister Cakewalk sonar

On 4/13/2023 at 2:43 PM, Mister Cakewalk sonar said:

I have a more general question, Groove synth, Z3ta1, TTS-1, Dimension, Cakewalk Rapture, RgcAudio Pentagon, are they free ? where can I download them?

On 4/13/2023 at 8:36 PM, User 905133 said:

@Mister Cakewalk sonar Do you have proof that you paid for the older products?  Not sure if Support can help if you do have the proof of purchase, but I doubt they can help if you don't have any proof.

ADDENDUM:  I took another look at your post. Are saying that you never paid for any of the older products and that you want these for free now?

By the way, if you installed Cakewalk by Bandlab, you should have TTS-1.

5 hours ago, Mister Cakewalk sonar said:

TTS-1 downloaded

it's a shame that so many outdated, but still excellent products will just lie there and no one will be able to use them.

for example, there is a great synth SampleMoog 1, it was replaced with another product, I tried to find out if it became publicly available, they told me no, which means it will be unattended and forgotten about, I like this sound, but it can no longer be bought.

but I wonder if Sonar is now free, then surely the previous versions of, let's say, legacy should also not be for a fee?

Based on your reply, I have concluded that you never purchased the older products and therefore don't have any proof that you paid for them.  I have purchased Cakewalk/SONAR products since Cakewalk for MS-DOS.  Many other users like me have the older vst plug-ins because we paid for them.

In my opinion, Bandlab has been very nice to those of us for paid hundreds of dollars (or more) over the years by configuring Cakewalk by Bandlab to use the older plug-ins.

While you might feel that they should also provide the older plug-ins for free ("not for a fee") for new Cakewalk by Bandlab users, that would be a very generous move for Bandlab presuming they have the legal rights to make those available

Just so you know, several long-time users who have paid for the older plug-ins have requested they be updated. Many long-time users might even be willing to pay for updated versions.  If Bandlab chooses to do this, I hope those of us who already paid for the the older version, will get a large discount.

Personally, I don't think it would be a shame if those of you who paid nothing for the older plug-ins had to pay a higher price for updated versions.

In case its not clear, many of us can use them.  If you paid for them but cannot access them because you can't access your account, try contacting support.  Maybe they can help.

Edited by User 905133

7 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Just so you know, several long-time users who have paid for the older plug-ins have requested they be updated. Many long-time users might even be willing to pay for updated versions.  If Bandlab chooses to do this, I hope those of us who already paid for the the older version, will get a large discount.

As a long-time user who paid for Sonar Platinum (lifetime), and years of Sonar prior to that, I can still access all of my legacy plugins in Cakewalk by BandLab. :)

But as mentioned, it is up to BandLab if they are ever going to release the plugins again. Meng, the BandLab CEO, stated during the forum Q&A in 2018 that he was mainly interested in providing a quality DAW for free to his existing and growing BandLab user base. That is his main business model. So he gave Cakewalk by BandLab to the world for free. When he responded to forum questions about the plugins at the time, it was a qualified "maybe". Since then, nothing...

My impression is that Meng really had no interest in getting into the plugin business. Since it has been 5 years since then, I feel that if BandLab were going to do that, it would have happened by now. Those old plugins are 5 years older now than they were then, plus the developers that wrote the code are probably long gone, and it would require a lot of resources and time to bring them up to date now. If you think about today's business model for selling enough plugins to finance that effort, it's pretty grim. Just look at all of the current plugins selling for $29 or less (e.g., Waves, Plugin Alliance, etc). Doubt that the plugin market outside of a few old-timers are really interested in that legacy Cakewalk stuff anyhow. Most of them probably already own them already. ;)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Mister Cakewalk sonar said:

off-topic question. Sonar 5,6,7,8,x1,x2,x3...does anyone need them for free now?

I don't need the older SONAR products, but I keep some of them around, sometimes to check how features worked (to compare with CbB), sometimes to find older projects, etc.

Anyone who didn't pay for them and never had them doesn't need them to use CbB.

If someone has projects that were made using an older version of SONAR that they paid for, they should be able to open the older projects and use them in CbB, but if it were me, I'd make a copy of the older project file to open in CbB and then resave it to preserve the original just in case there is an issue.  

Did you pay for older versions of SONAR that included older plug-ins and can't get the older projects to work in CbB? If that's what you are trying to get at, you should start a new thread to ask for help.

Are you asking if other people who paid for older versions of SONAR need for those older versions to be available for free?

Edited by User 905133
fixed typos

On 4/16/2023 at 11:38 AM, User 905133 said:

While you might feel that they should also provide the older plug-ins for free ("not for a fee") for new Cakewalk by Bandlab users, that would be a very generous move for Bandlab presuming they have the legal rights to make those available

They most likely don't. z3t4 and other stuff was developed by rgc:audio. Although rgc has been proudly displaying that "Coming Soon" message on their website for several years now and nothing came yet. But you also have worse offenders, like TH3. Overloud stopped selling TH3 licenses long ago to focus on TH-U and...F-U to whoever wants the full version of TH3 cause you can't get it. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the official licensed stuff that comes with the plugin because the free version bundled with CbB still have the official THD Univalve model in it and it's also present in TH-U...And the funny part is that THD has discontinued both amps TH3 and THU have.

13 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

They most likely don't. z3t4 and other stuff was developed by rgc:audio. Although rgc has been proudly displaying that "Coming Soon" message on their website for several years now and nothing came yet.

That is incorrect. Cakewalk bought rgc:audio years ago and the former owner went to work for Cakewalk developing the Cakewalk line of software synths. If Cakewalk owned it then, BandLab owns it now.

11 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

was Cakewalk a company back when rgc was bought? or did Roland buy them? that may be the difference.

FYI: A bit of Cakewalk history and the timeline. (For the old-timers that were around here at the time, this is all old news, and it was fully discussed and debated to death in the forums back then). See the forum archives for details! ;)

Cakewalk was a company when rgc:audio was acquired in Jan 2005. Cakewalk® Acquires rgc:audio https://www.cakewalk.com/Press/Release/1042/01-20-05-rgcaudio

Roland buys a major share of Cakewalk in 2008, and began using "Cakewalk by Roland" as a trademark. Roland had been a minor partner since 2003. https://www.kvraudio.com/news/roland_to_acquire_major_share_of_cakewalk_8518

Cakewalk was sold to Gibson in 2013. https://www.cakewalk.com/Gibson-Announcement

Gibson shut down Cakewalk as a company in Nov 2017. https://www.cakewalk.com/Gibson-Announcement

BandLab buys all Cakewalk assets in 2018. http://forum.cakewalk.com/Bandlab-buys-all-Cakewalk-assets-m3730727.aspx

There may still be still some "publicly" unanswered questions regarding the details of the last transaction, but the powers that be were pretty clear at the time that it was for ALL Cakewalk owned assets.

https://blog.bandlab.com/cakewalk-announcement-faq/

"Cakewalk’s complete set of intellectual property and certain related assets were acquired by BandLab Technologies and the acquisition was announced in February 2018"

"BandLab Technologies did not acquire the operating company of Cakewalk Inc., only the complete set of intellectual property, patents, trademarks and certain assets necessary or related to the entire Cakewalk product suite. "

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, abacab said:

That is incorrect. Cakewalk bought rgc:audio years ago and the former owner went to work for Cakewalk developing the Cakewalk line of software synths. If Cakewalk owned it then, BandLab owns it now.

Considering there are no signs of that software appearing any time soon, that's more than correct. It doesn't matter who owns what if the software is not available for purchase or use outside of people who already own it or acquire it using "illegal" (you can't lose profits from a software you don't sell licenses for) means.