Z3ta

1 hour ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Considering there are no signs of that software appearing any time soon, that's more than correct. It doesn't matter who owns what if the software is not available for purchase or use outside of people who already own it or acquire it using "illegal" (you can't lose profits from a software you don't sell licenses for) means.

I was just pointing out that BandLab owns ALL of the Cakewalk intellectual properties that were formerly owned by Gibson/Cakewalk.

An owner can keep it locked away and choose not to sell it or give it away. Bottom line is that BandLab now owns all of the former Z3ta+ and rgc:audio properties. Totally their call what to do with it.

I'm asking about being free, because I wonder if these products are free or not, good products that no one will ever install, it would be great if they were free like the current product, the same about plugins, I don't understand why they are not free and it would be great if they became free, if you don't buy and download them, then no studio will use them and a good product will simply never be available to anyone, it's a pity if so, not all people have powerful computers, the old versions were also gorgeous.

I remember once they sent me a letter from one company and I became interested in it, there was such a slogan on the Internet, if the second version appeared, then the first version is conditionally free. I understand that this is not the case, but sometimes the old versions are stronger than the new ones.

I respect the law, I respect people's work, and I think I follow all the rules.

Edited by Mister Cakewalk sonar

From page 1:

On 3/7/2023 at 9:08 PM, charles kasler said:

I tried out this plug-in I used years ago and it won't work with CBB. Is that because it's 32 bits? If so, perfect space still works and I think that is 32 bits. Thanks.

On 3/15/2023 at 8:39 AM, kperry said:

I just went through both of the SoS articles and couldn't get any of the (non-FX parts of z3ta) to work as described.  Anyone else tried it and been successful?

In case someone who has a licensed copy of z3ta+ 1.5 (the version that has a dll to use it as an FX processor) is trying to get it to work, there is a discussion of this several pages back along with links to some useful SOS articles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mister Cakewalk sonar said:

I'm asking about being free, because I wonder if these products are free or not, good products that no one will ever install, it would be great if they were free like the current product, the same about plugins, I don't understand why they are not free and it would be great if they became free, if you don't buy and download them, then no studio will use them and a good product will simply never be available to anyone, it's a pity if so, not all people have powerful computers, the old versions were also gorgeous.

I understand what you are saying, but that's just the way it is. Feel free to contact BandLab directly with your concerns if you wish to pursue this further. We are just ordinary users like you and there's really nothing we can do about it. Just sharing the available info where we can. ;)

7 hours ago, Mister Cakewalk sonar said:

I respect the law, I respect people's work, and I think I follow all the rules.

That's a good attitude! For better or worse these old products are still the property of BandLab, and not orphaned "abandonware".

7 hours ago, abacab said:

That's a good attitude! For better or worse these old products are still the property of BandLab, and not orphaned "abandonware".

Abandonware refers to software that is neither sold nor supported by its creator, so that term does apply.  Of course just because something fits that definition does not mean intellectual property law doesn't apply.

2 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

Abandonware refers to software that is neither sold nor supported by its creator, so that term does apply.  Of course just because something fits that definition does not mean intellectual property law doesn't apply.

What Native Instruments did recently with Absynth is a close parallel to where z3ta+ is at in that regard, where the owner has stopped public sales and distribution of their product. But the software is still under copyright, and they continue to make it available to users who purchased a license.

In these particular cases the owners have not gone out of business, but have deprecated their products. Not sure if this technically qualifies as "abandonware" or not, or even if that matters as it's not really a legal definition, at least in the US.

"Abandonware is any software still under copyright when the copyright owner either doesn't or can't enforce it. Regardless, since the copyright still exists, hosting and downloading abandonware generally counts as piracy in the US, making it illegal."

• abandonware remains under copyright protection.
  • abandonware is not software that has passed into the public domain.
  • In the US, there are no laws using the term “abandonware,” but since what we think of as abandonware exists outside the public domain, its distribution meets the definition of software piracy, which is certainly illegal.

https://www.howtogeek.com/829307/what-is-abandonware-and-is-it-legal/

Edited by abacab