George Martin's Keyboard Contributions

bitflipper

Beatles geeks will already know this stuff, but this is the first time I've seen all of his contributions listed out like this.

Keep in mind that something as basic as recording a part at half speed and then speeding it up was way more difficult to do back then. Not to mention old-school sampling with a razor blade and splice block.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Keep in mind that something as basic as recording a part at half speed and then speeding it up was way more difficult to do back then. Not to mention old-school sampling with a razor blade and splice block.

Or touching a "flange wheel!"

17 hours ago, bitflipper said:

old-school sampling with a razor blade and splice block

I still can't  wrap my head around that. Knowing what they did,  I can visualize it. Having worked with tape myself, (just cutting taping songs together) it's hard for me to imagine taking one track, (maybe even in the middle of the tape!) from one section of a song and splicing that back in to a new part!! And knowing that there was NO ROOM FOR ERROR!!! NONE!!

That took some nads.

And you were working with upper tier artists that you didn't want to tell them you f'd up and they have to do the whole song over because the tape is ruined. 

1 hour ago, Grem said:

And you were working with upper tier artists that you didn't want to tell them you f'd up and they have to do the whole song over because the tape is ruined. 

I'm pretty sure they made safety copies of the track first and if they didn't then that REALLY took some nads.

On 2/25/2023 at 3:57 PM, jackson white said:

and then they went for Billy Preston.

Billy played on a lot of their works. And he did a great job (as usual).

IMO the George Martin contributions go far beyond his occasional piano playing. He took the raw material from the songwriters and turned them from good songs to great songs.

I can even see Martin's love of Bach in the structure of some of the great B sections of many of the Beatles' songs.

I enjoyed the video bitflipper, thanks for sharing it.

Notes ♫

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 9:39 AM, Notes_Norton said:

Billy played on a lot of their works. And he did a great job (as usual).

Yes he did a great job.

On 2/27/2023 at 9:39 AM, Notes_Norton said:

can even see Martin's love of Bach in the structure of some of the great B sections of many of the Beatles' songs.

I enjoyed the video bitflipper, thanks for sharing it.

Yep, for sure. 

Thanks bit.