Fast Bundle 80% Off!

cclarry

36 minutes ago, stony said:

My price with the code is €40 inclusive VAT. - But I never heard from this Plugins. Are they worth it? 🤔

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.....How these plugins compare to Izotope's Neutron & Ozone as well as Sonible's plugins?

Can I crowd source this decision?  I'm writing this, expecting that many others have similar questions.*
*See DrumDude's question and it was compelling enough to him to be his first post; @DrumDude welcome to the forum, from one drummer to another. 

While I've been making multitrack demos since I was a kid, I still don't know much about mixing or mastering -- while I recorded in pro studios as a drummer, the most involvement I had with mixing was engineers asking me if I liked the mix or wanted things adjusted -- and rely on Izotope's suite of tools. I use Nectar on vocals, Neoverb as a reverb (I own plenty of other non-AI reverbs and effects too, but I don't know how to use them beyond presets and my tweaking those presets in the most clueless manner), Izotope's compressor (though I am only starting to figure out how to use it as anyone hearing my recordings can tell) and Ozone for mastering. I've tried using Izotope on the entire mix and hated the results, so I still do the overall mix by ear. 

So I was contemplating buying the Fast Series plugins to use their AI to give me additional options (e.g., if I'm not satisfied with the results I get from Izotope's tool, I would run it through Fast's AI tool).  For $39.99 USD, they seem decent and it may give me different results than Izotope's similar tools that I may prefer -- but having a second option seems like a good idea overall. 

What do those more experienced / knowledgeable on mixing think? @cclarry, I've heard your stuff and can tell you know what you're doing just from listening to that, what do you think?  

Thanks in advance!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cclarry said:

At $39.99 it's a good deal IMO.  The REAL question is "Do I need them and would I use them?"

Well, I would think for someone like you -- who knows what he's doing with mixing and mastering -- these tools would not be worth picking up because, while I'm sure even you might find the AI capability valuable, you're likely to want to tweak things exactly the way you want and these tools probably don't offer the kind of tweaking you'd want. Whereas someone like me doesn't really know how to COMPETENTLY tweak things (I will try, but often, it doesn't make things better). So I'd say no for you, maybe for me. FTR, I realized there were demos of all of the plugins that I've downloaded and will try out tonight. I recently recorded a cover of ELO's "Can't Get It Out of My Head" and discerned that it could really use a better job on the compression than what the Izotope tool had done, but I don't know how to fix it manually, so I thought I'd run it through FAST's compressor to see how it does.  If it does a good job, it's an instant buy. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Okay, I just tried the FAST Compressor demo. The interface is incredibly dumbed down and allowed me to to quickly try three settings (I think they were soft, neutral and hard) and it sounded good. In other words, SOLD! 

In real life, soft and hard are the only settings you will ever need.