KOMPLETE-14-Select at PB

satya

14 hours ago, InstrEd said:

That song unfortunately is mimicking our world right now ☹️

Huh? How is a cold war protest song about a batch of balloons being mistaken for weapons resulting in a nuclear Holocaust mimicking our world right now?

Granted,  this isn't the place for thinly veiled political remarks either,  which is what appears to be the case.  There are other platforms for that and I have no interest in it. But I'm a bit confused how anyone could see that lyric as "mimicking out world right now" or why you would make such a comment in the deals forum. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

Huh? How is a cold war protest song about a batch of balloons being mistaken for weapons resulting in a nuclear Holocaust mimicking our world right now?

Are you saying that the device wasn't a surveillance device and a nuclear Holocaust is on the horizon? Otherwise,  there's really not any relationship between the song and the recent incident beyond balloons. Granted,  this isn't the place for thinly veiled political remarks either,  which is what appears to be the case.  There are other platforms for that. 

I think you read or is that red to much into my commentary about the human species in general.
I actually try to stay away from most of those type of platforms.

Peace

17 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I believe it has become a meme about recent fighter jets shooting down a stray high-altitude balloon over the US... ;)

From the song...

"Floating in the summer sky
Panic bells it's red alert
There's something here from somewhere else
The war machine springs to life
Opens up one eager eye
Focusing it on the sky
Where 99 red balloons go by"

Edited by abacab

2 hours ago, abacab said:

I believe it has become a meme about recent fighter jets shooting down a stray high-altitude balloon over the US... ;)

From the song...

"Floating in the summer sky
Panic bells it's red alert
There's something here from somewhere else
The war machine springs to life
Opens up one eager eye
Focusing it on the sky
Where 99 red balloons go by"

It started to get buzz after a certain hyperpartisan political commentator, who misunderstood the song, made the identical connection that InstrEd was making, which is why I was guessing was the root of his very similar remarks,  because,  otherwise,  there's really no connection beyond balloons. But this is my favorite meme that came out of it... (It's not political,  it's just silliness. ) 

FB_IMG_1676320965179.jpg

Edited by PavlovsCat

42 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

It started to get buzz after a certain hyperpartisan political commentator, who misunderstood the song

I don't see it as political, just the nature of governments and military in general to react to perceived (real or imaginary) threats. Human nature as it is...

Although I wouldn't be at all surprised to see political commentators picking up the idea and taking it for a spin. But I mostly ignore politics, so I may have missed that one.

23 hours ago, abacab said:

I don't see it as political, just the nature of governments and military in general to react to perceived (real or imaginary) threats. Human nature as it is...

Although I wouldn't be at all surprised to see political commentators picking up the idea and taking it for a spin. But I mostly ignore politics, so I may have missed that one.

In this case, a certain popular hyperpartisan political commentator in the US did a TV show rant on  the Chinese spy balloon referencing the 80s song, "99 Luftballons,"  claiming the song was mimicking our world today -- totally misunderstanding the song's lyrics to make his point.  His social media followers -- which are no small group -- started amplifying his message and spreading memes throughout social media. FTR, people regularly insert political posts on this forum and the moderators are pretty good about deleting those posts -- if they catch them.  I think we're all better off keeping politics out of the forum as is the policy and focus on what unites us, music. 

Edited by PavlovsCat