Elvis

Jesse Screed

I will always remember the day Elvis died - I was 17 . . . My family and my mom's sister's family were all hanging out at the Verde River and had a radio on when the news broke. I remember this not because I was a fan (I'm not) but because my mom and aunt were in tears - absolutely devastated over the news. All I remembered was the fat sweaty Vegas Elvis but apparently they remembered a younger hip swinging rebel rocker.

I learned a few of his songs over the years for some cover bands and at my mom's request but there were ONLY two I ever truly liked - One was really old (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame originally recorded by Del Shannon. I still play that one once in a while

Guitar Man would be the other but I think Jerry Reed did it better.

Yes, I'm aware my fellow musician friends all hates me for not liking Elvis.

• Sad 1

I really like those Vegas shows!

Not until I was 11 or 12 did I really grasp that there was a world of music outside of my parents record collection, so Elvis was the center of my musical universe and its unidputed king until that time. When adults asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, the answer was  "Elvis Presley".

I remember the news of his death in stunning details - I was 5 and it was the first person I "knew" who'd died.

I've always remained fond of the early years but in recent decades, I've come to be a huge fan of late 60's and 70's Elvis.

I never became Elvis, but I did become a musician and eventually moved to Vegas, which is certainly Elvis-y.

A friend brought to my attention that I also tend to smirk a little when I play guitar, maybe because his mannerism rubbed off on me. And, well...

1909859429_ScreenShot2022-11-03at7_25_18PM.png.c81f809869f8f7dc81cf09b318b5669d.png

274659966_10158986468507582_1327550859102900943_n.thumb.jpg.73b7ab0ae5da19519675fc227d86862d.jpg

Edited by Rain
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bapu said:

All Gibson, All of the time?

Actually, the only Gibson is the white one, still my main guitar, aka the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name the Angry B!tch. 

The others are all Epiphones - and sadly, all gone too. 

Edited by Rain