Amazon Prime "Early Access" Sale Oct 11-12

Brian Lawler

I've rarely seen anything I'm interested in on "Prime Day" deals.

But since I do most of my shopping at *Amazon, the free Prime 2-day (occasionally same day) delivery pays for itself and saves me gas money. Plus I shop there with the Prime branded Visa card that gives me 5% back on all Amazon purchases.

*Other than groceries and household staples that I pick up at the local supermarket or Walmart.

Amazon's scam has been exposed, and it's the exact same scam that jewelry stores have perfected over many decades: raise prices to ludicrous levels right before the "sale" and then restore them to the same price they would normally have been.

I'll often go to the manufacturer's website before ordering from Amazon. The price will be the same (Amazon sees to that) but the 30% that Amazon takes from the vendor will go to the manufacturer instead.

I recently found out about a website that tracks Amazon price histories. It shows an item's list price (usually meaningless), its current price, and its historical average price. But their main business is notifying you when an item you're interested in drops in price. Curiously, when I looked at their front page this morning, it listed an expensive wristwatch as going for 99 cents (average price $1,409) so it's possible you could catch a surprising deal that was the result of a typo at Amazon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I always compare Amazon prices with the manufacturer's price if they sell direct, as well as other online merchants, before I pull the trigger. That's a quick way to spot out-of-line prices.

Another advantage of Amazon is their hassle -free return policy. Never had an issue in that respect with anything sold and shipped direct from Amazon. With 3rd party sellers, it's up to you to understand the return requirements. Let the buyer beware! If you shop smart you can do all right.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

Prime should be under Undeals.  It's a crapshoot if the delivery goes to the right place.

Must be your local distribution hub. I live in a large metro area, and they have been spot on 99.9% of the time here. :)

• Like 1

There are some things I just won't buy from Amazon, in particular when I want to be assured of high quality. Example: microphone cables. As some may recall, I have bought more mic cables than usual this year due to puppy-related incidents. I could saved a LOT of money buying them on Amazon, but I'd rather pay 3-4x the price at Sweetwater and know the cable will perform as expected.

I think of this as the "Walmart Effect". Walmart's primary business plan is to sell stuff cheap. They really don't care if it's only cheap because it was cheaply made. Amazon customers have a similar expectation that purchasing from Amazon is going to save them money. Amazon has no problem offering low-quality products as long as it looks like a bargain on the product page. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Example: microphone cables.

Exactly. 
I have purchased some cables from them but quickly learned these are not stage worthy. I got a bunch of little cables for the phone output to car audio receivers, but I won't get stuff I need to depend on from them.

I get my stuff from SWeetwater also.

As far as Amazon goes, I quit Prime because I found a better deal. Just that simple. Instead of paying them over $130 a year for my membership, I found a better deal with Walmart Plus. I get discounted gas, they deliver my groceries for free to my home, or ship it to me if it's not in my local store. Man the joy of sitting at work and ordering groceries, having them deliver it, that, that, that's almost no-brainer territory!!! (I was gonna say priceless, but it ain't that good!!)