August Sound On Sound is out!

cclarry

Page 118 has an interesting DAW workshop article regarding some workarounds to get Studio One to talk General MIDI.

IMO, it still looks like Cakewalk with the aging TTS-1 GM synth (or external synth) is a better option for that!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fleer said:

I think it may still be free in pdf 

Yep! That's how I've been reading SOS since they began offering the free PDF each month in 2020. :)

Free Replica Digital Magazine

"We have decided to maintain access to this monthly page-turning edition — FREE — for the foreseeable future."

Start here >>> https://www.soundonsound.com/digital-magazine

https://www.soundonsound.com/

Edited by abacab
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

I'm not sure how they are managing to do that but hey, that's a decent deal.

There's probably a formula somewhere that sets advertising rates per pair of registered eyeballs, regardless whether they are paid readers or not.

The print subscription rates probably cover the cost of ink, paper, and shipping for the hardcopy version.

The magazine industry is slowly dying. Most recent magazines I subscribe to are at least 50% filler or more. 

I don't get on quite as well with e-subs and for the longest time I subscribed to the paper version of SOS.  I then went to e-sub. Better than nothing but never as good as a hard copy of that magazine. I don't know who takes the pics and does their printing, but it's amazing compared to most other magazines, almost like a small bound book instead of a magazine. Like so many other things though, this has probably changed.

Edited by Tim Smith
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

The magazine industry is slowly dying. Most recent magazines I subscribe to are at least 50% filler or more.

The magazine industry and the newspaper industry face similar challenges. The advertisers are what have provided the majority of the income for publishing companies for decades.

But the internet has been changing that, as more and more advertisers have moved online, looking for clicks. It's been much worse for daily newspapers. Periodical magazines still have the full page, full color, paying advertisements, but they also a have niche readership that is specifically targeted by manufacturers, i.e., music gear in the case of SOS.

Have you noticed that in the past few years most of the major newspapers with an online presence have moved their formerly free "content" behind paywalls? Thankfully SOS seems to be doing well enough that they don't need to be entirely dependent on subscription revenue to survive. :)

Edited by abacab

I so hate to say it, but as much as I love magazines, and have had so much enjoyment from them over the years, it's probably a format that won't survive in its current form.

For hobbyist and professional topics, there's just so much information on the web, it's like drinking from a firehose. As far as current events....big can o'worms.