Does having long hair make you a better musician?

Tezza

On 6/22/2022 at 10:11 PM, Bapu said:

For the first 18 months of COVID I let my hair grow. Now that I'm older my hair is just fine strands of silver threads. I'm back to same old bapu now. In fact, I'm due for a trim.

I did it upside down. I let my beard grow, which served me well for the grand kids at Xmas 2019.

Then i shaved.

But i haven’t shaved for a few months now, and have got past the itchy stage. To shave or not is now the question……

But it never made me a better player (or worse for that matter).

YMMV

J

• 3 weeks later...

Ha, I guess the premise for this has to be humor right?  As a man thinks, so he is. "If" a man thinks having long hair helps him it's a useful placebo. I once thought having long hair was "the way" to look. I think somehow a poodle dog got into the genetic pool thousands of years ago, so my hair is often curly and ornery. 

Maybe some of it grew from the 60's counter culture rebellion against societal norms, because this is when long hair as a "thing" took hold. If you were in a rock band then you were supposed to have long hair. I see it as more of a marketing schtick. An association to the people who you wanted to buy your records. They looked at them and said, "they are one of us". This may or may not have been true.

This association carried over into the 70's, largely went away in the 80's except for metal bands mostly. Never went completely away, but did die off for awhile in a big way as a thing all bands did. Cutting the locks hasn't seem to affected Metallica's image and sales, but metal heads would say they aren't really a metal head's band.

Since gen z really doesn't have much of a musical foundation due to all the computer junk, some of them have gone retro in a big way. Marketing has changed and corporations now have agendas more than ever. Back in the day a band's message and look wasn't as important as album sales. Now bands are groomed by corporations for agendas. 

What big brother thought was popular is what was popular as long as I can remember. If they want something to be popular they promote it through all channels and John Q public adopts it. Tattoos, body piercings and just generally out there looks are in for bands. I don't mean one tattoo, I mean covered in them. I find it ironic women in bands often have short hair, so I see see the whole thing as a counter culture statement by groups of unhappy, upset and confused individuals. If the world is around long enough in it's preset way, the day will probably come when no tats and piercings are in because, after all, grandpa will have them. 

Edited by Tim Smith