Possible Bug in "Hide Tracks" option

Jerry Gerber

I am running the very latest version of CW. 

When I choose to hide all midi tracks and display only an audio track and save the file, the next time I open the file some of the tracks I've chosen to hide (all hidden tracks are muted and archived) reappear and I have to hide them again. 

I think this may  be a bug.

Thanks,

Jerry

Edited by jsg

7 hours ago, jsg said:

I don't think that's it.  I don't use screensets and I made certain I saved the workspace with all of the tracks hidden.  I'll check to see if there's a workspace setting I might have overlooked..

Make sure, that "Apply Workspace" are checked right at the bottom on the little menu box, when using workspaces.  

51 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Make sure, that "Apply Workspace" are checked right at the bottom on the little menu box, when using workspaces.  

Did that.  It's almost certainly not a workspace issue because I tried saving the file (with tracks hidden) and they don't stay hidden upon reopening whether or not I check "apply workspace".  It's probably a bug.  I tried checking and unchecking every workspace option and it doesn't matter; hidden tracks don't remain hidden when I re open the file. Or, to be more specific, some hidden tracks do remain hidden, but some do not.  

15 minutes ago, jsg said:

hidden tracks don't remain hidden when I re open the file. Or, to be more specific, some hidden tracks do remain hidden, but some do not.  

Probably a bug, who knows.

It works fine myside on test though. I even test it with 23 tracks hidden, saved it as a template and project - works fine.

Why things work for one user and not the other has been a mystery for years. To be fair: I've recently redone my entire system. All my projects, gets saved on an external drive. So it's really easy for me to always do a clean install every 6 months or so and to clean out all my fans. All I lose is about 2/3 hours to install everything again. 

The only software that are on the system itself is the DAW some VSTS that requires installation and an Antivirus. To scan files clients send and that about it. 

First, Workspaces do not involve project content. They only save the "workspace".  The size and state of tracks is saved with the project file. 

How are you hiding the tracks? What do you see when you open the track manager after you hide the tracks?

If they are all checked then yes they will re appear when you re open the project next time. 

Screenshot (319).png

9 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Probably a bug, who knows.

It works fine myside on test though. I even test it with 23 tracks hidden, saved it as a template and project - works fine.

Why things work for one user and not the other has been a mystery for years. To be fair: I've recently redone my entire system. All my projects, gets saved on an external drive. So it's really easy for me to always do a clean install every 6 months or so and to clean out all my fans. All I lose is about 2/3 hours to install everything again. 

The only software that are on the system itself is the DAW some VSTS that requires installation and an Antivirus. To scan files clients send and that about it. 

My DAW is also a fully dedicated machine, nothing but music production takes place on it. 

54 minutes ago, John Vere said:

First, Workspaces do not involve project content. They only save the "workspace".  The size and state of tracks is saved with the project file. 

How are you hiding the tracks? What do you see when you open the track manager after you hide the tracks?

If they are all checked then yes they will re appear when you re open the project next time. 

Screenshot (319).png

Thanks John, I'll check out the track manager later this morning..  I h;ide tracks by selecting them and right-clicking to get the context menu and then I choose "hide tracks".

Edited by jsg

On 2/3/2022 at 9:30 AM, John Vere said:

Screenshot (319).png

Hi John,

I looked at what you suggested and used the track manager to hide all my MIDI tracks, only leaving one audio track and an audio master bus unhidden.  I checked (and unchecked) Keep track/console visibility states in sync.  I then saved the file and reopened it, unchecking the option to open the file with a workspace.  No go. Bug still present. The first 8 midi tracks continue to show up even though they are hidden, along with the remaining 11 midi tracks.  This must be a bug.  I don't know what else to try.  Again, out of 19 midi tracks 11 remain hidden as desired, but the 1st 8 midi tracks keep reappearing and I have to re-hide them each time I open the file.

I originally hid the tracks using the right-click option of hiding tracks.  But either way, whether I hide them that way or with the track manager it doesn't matter.  The track manager shows all MIDI tracks are hidden.  I save file and reopen it.  But the first 8 midi tracks are now visible and the track manager reflect that state by showing the 1st 8 MIDI tracks as checked.  

This is most likely a bug.

Thanks for responding!

Jerry

Edited by jsg

56 minutes ago, jsg said:

Yeah, I thought of that too, maybe something particular to the project I'm working with that is causing it...

Those tracks your want to hide, are they archived? Cause theres a bug with that when hidding tracks. 

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

I don't know if it's any consolation, but I've had a project before go totally fubar and I had to rebuild it all over again from scratch.

1 hour ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Those tracks your want to hide, are they archived? Cause theres a bug with that when hidding tracks. 

Yes, the tracks I am hiding ARE archived and muted.   But I just tried un-muting and un-archiving them and saving the file. The bug remains, the 1st 8 tracks are still showing up after saving, and reopening the file.  Hmm....I have no idea why only the first 8 tracks don't remain hidden while the other 11 tracks do...

I find so few bugs in CW that I forgot how to submit a bug report.  Do the people responsible for bug fixes read this forum or is there a particular place I should send a bug report?

Thanks,

Jerry

1 hour ago, jsg said:

I find so few bugs in CW that I forgot how to submit a bug report.  Do the people responsible for bug fixes read this forum or is there a particular place I should send a bug report?

Best DAW support ever! 

What i was asking and seek clarity on was -- if you manually enabled archive too? Don't mean automatically like it say in the OP. Just had a lengthy conversation about this the other day too with another member after countless questions when we discovered these bugs with Archive Tracks. 

But perhaps @msmcleod might be able to help if you send the project file to him after/when he respond to this. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/6/2022 at 9:36 AM, msmcleod said:

@jsg - can you PM me a copy of your project file so we can take a look?

I have exactly the same problem that the visible/hidden status of tracks and buses is not being saved with the project.  When hide a number of buses then save the project, then the buses reappear when I load the project again.  I'm running the last version of CfB.  I tried creating a couple of test projects and all have the same issue.  Were you able to get to the bottom of this issue?

1 minute ago, norfolkmastering said:

I have exactly the same problem that the visible/hidden status of tracks and buses is not being saved with the project.  When hide a number of buses then save the project, then the buses reappear when I load the project again.  I'm running the last version of CfB.  I tried creating a couple of test projects and all have the same issue.  Were you able to get to the bottom of this issue?

The bug has been fixed, and will be available in the next update.

• Like 1