IK Added Krazy Deals!

cclarry

$39.99 for the following:  T-RackS Stealth Limiter, AmpliTube Leslie, and Brandenburg Piano

Amplitube Leslie

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/atleslie/

Stealth Limiter

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/trstealthlimiter/

Brandenburg Piano

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/st3brandenburgpiano/

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

Stealth Limiter is permanently on my mastering chain. Amplitube  Leslie I find amazing for the kinds of sounds i like working with. Both stellar.

I was just reading (OK, listening to the audiobook version of) "Making Rumours" by Ken Caillat and didn't realize how much he use a Leslie on Lindsey Buckingham's guitar so I'm probably going to dive deeper into those tones as opposed to some of the more commonly-known examples - perhaps in one of the Sunset Sound ISO rooms since we don't have the Record Plant in Sausalito though I'd love to have it.

I also want someone to figure out the circuit for the "Fat Box" bass DI used, but the circuits are potted on any units out in the wild, the creator won't ever make any more, and nobody seems to want to let one go if they have one. I wouldn't either. :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

I was just reading (OK, listening to the audiobook version of) "Making Rumours" by Ken Caillat and didn't realize how much he use a Leslie on Lindsey Buckingham's guitar so I'm probably going to dive deeper into those tones as opposed to some of the more commonly-known examples - perhaps in one of the Sunset Sound ISO rooms since we don't have the Record Plant in Sausalito though I'd love to have it.

I also want someone to figure out the circuit for the "Fat Box" bass DI used, but the circuits are potted on any units out in the wild, the creator won't ever make any more, and nobody seems to want to let one go if they have one. I wouldn't either. :D

I never knew they used it on that record. I am a big Buckingham fan. I gotta check that book out next. For me , I just like the sound and vibe of the Leslie. It has that 60s bluesy sound that is vintage and odd which I am into.

In case anyone into this stuff. They had a very cool interview in SOS on the making of the Buckingham/McVie record where they interviewed the engineer that did that record. I was shocked he uses so many very common plugins to get that sound.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/inside-track-buckingham-mcvie-feel-about-you

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 1

I would imagine any bass using DI with some preamp tweaks should sound better on studio recordings than an amp + mic setup.

I heard that they often recorded both, and then binned the amped bass track, and just used the DI.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

FWIW.. the way I started using AT5, I don't use any eq's at the beginning. I mix and match the mics and move them around in the virtual environment until I sort of get the tone I am looking for. And then I start playing around with tone knobs and eq's. Seems to work for me. I find I like ribbon mics mixed with sm57 a lot.

In the case of Leslie. I first got the AT5 version which I used fora few years. Loved the thing. Then finally for the T-racks version in last GB. Now am in heaven.

1 hour ago, abacab said:

I would imagine any bass using DI with some preamp tweaks should sound better on studio recordings than an amp + mic setup.

I heard that they often recorded both, and then binned the amped bass track, and just used the DI.

Yeah. I think that was common. I also notice in the SOS articles a lot of guitars where just DI into the board. So I started using that a lot as well. I turn off the speaker cab and just use a compressor into an amp head and then stick a British channel insert after it. Sounds nice to me.

Edited by telecode 101