Get Back

Jesse Screed

This Beatles thing is very interesting to me.

Watching this band coming undone.

Seeing how each member begins to move away from the center.

Several things stand out right now.

1. Ringo, he slogs through all the while seeming to wonder what the hell is going to happen.

2.  How the "lads" were on their best behavior when Billy Preston shows, or when George Martin arrives, (although the sessions fall apart as the session goes on.)

3. Glyn Johns getting the room set up, and the sound dialed in.

3 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

Watching this band coming undone.

Not to me, because the final result of these sessions was an album called Let It Be that was actually released *after* Abbey Road (which had not been recorded yet).

What the film reveals to me is how the inner workings of the collaborative writing process can be fragile and awe inspiring at the same time.

Bands can be tough even in the best of times.

Paul was obviously a 'better' songwriter but I've always liked John's songs more.

George came into his own after The Beatles and Ringo is simply kind hearted Peace & Love Ringo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

Not to me, because the final result of these sessions was an album called Let It Be that was actually released *after* Abbey Road (which had not been recorded yet).

What the film reveals to me is how the inner workings of the collaborative writing process can be fragile and awe inspiring at the same time.

Bands can be tough even in the best of times.

Paul was obviously a 'better' songwriter but I've always liked John's songs more.

George came into his own after The Beatles and Ringo is simply kind hearted Peace & Love Ringo.

I can agree with with most of that.  When they worked together as a team they were excellent.  Lots of tidbits in this revealing just how "fragile and awe inspiring their collaborative process was."

Bapu, did you notice the part where they were discussing whether to pay, or how to pay Billy Preston?  I thought that was interesting.

I like Peace and Love people, but also recognize that just because someone seems difficult doesn't mean they don't have great ideas.  Whether or not one chooses to live with it is the hard part.

• Like 1

There was a piece on 60 Minutes a few weeks ago about this doc. Their take was that this version would show how well the Beatles got along and their collaborative process better than the original. "Let It Be" was sad, to me, perhaps because I already knew what happened afterward. Still, I liked the music and all the joking around they did. And seeing all the gear they used.
About Billy Preston, in the first flick, they kinda indicated that it was George Martin's idea to bring him in and maybe put the boys on their best behavior, but 60 Minutes said it was George Harrison's idea. Or maybe I've got my Georges mixed up.
On a related note, I just watched "Under The Volcano" last night, a documentary about George Martin's studio in Montserrat and all the musicians who went through there in the decade it was in operation. Pretty cool.

I enjoyed all three parts of Get Back. It brought back so many memories of bands I was in. Ringo being bored while the lads worked out arrangements. Been there and seen that in my band. The buffonery with lyrics and such. Been there and done that too.

For me the biggest payoff was watching the song Get Back come into existence from Macca just strumming on the bass and mumbling some lyric ideas. And then later he and John working out lyrics by just spit balling ideas about Arizona and California/grass. 

5 hours ago, Bapu said:

I enjoyed all three parts of Get Back. It brought back so many memories of bands I was in. Ringo being bored while the lads worked out arrangements. Been there and seen that in my band. The buffonery with lyrics and such. Been there and done that too.

For me the biggest payoff was watching the song Get Back come into existence from Macca just strumming on the bass and mumbling some lyric ideas. And then later he and John working out lyrics by just spit balling ideas about Arizona and California/grass. 

I watched the last segment this morning, and had some time to reflect as I organized my sock drawer this afternoon.

The Beatles were common blokes

who met by happenstance

and coalesced into an Act

with visions of grandeur, like us all

but they were still common blokes

they had pain, joy, distress, ecstasy, anxiety, and love

they were just like you and me

with a twist

and a shout

at the right time

enveloped in their love for one another

bolstered by their talent

fortified by enablers, disablers, and the luck of the draw

conjuring up a magical stew

a lodestar for anyone curious

Smile

this could be your day

but you know it won't come easy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

I watched the last segment this morning, and had some time to reflect as I organized my sock drawer this afternoon.

The Beatles were common blokes

who met by happenstance

and coalesced into an Act

with visions of grandeur, like us all

but they were still common blokes

they had pain, joy, distress, ecstasy, anxiety, and love

they were just like you and me

with a twist

and a shout

at the right time

enveloped in their love for one another

bolstered by their talent