I think I'll pass.

Shane_B.

$121 U.S.D. for the 50th Anniversary Edition of All Things Must Pass.

I think I'll pass. That's absolutely ridiculous.

When I was a kid I used to go to the town dump on Sundays to see what cool stuff people chucked. One of the people in town committed suicide and they just dumped all the stuff from his apartment right at the beginning of the dump. I know this because he wrote his name on the albums. A common thing people used to do.

I got all the original U.S. releases of all the Beatles albums as well as all their original 45s and a few solo albums. All Things Must Pass was one of them. It was like Christmas and my birthday times a 100. Many years later I lost them all when my basement flooded. I actually cried when it happened.

I'd love to get this set. I've heard the remixes on XM and some on Youtube and they did an excellent job. For the first time ever I can understand all the words. It's like they dialed back the 'wall of sound' and made it more of a George Martin sound if that makes sense. But $121 bucks? My Sweet Lord that's a lot of Wah Wah.

😟

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

$121 U.S.D. for the 50th Anniversary Edition of All Things Must Pass.

I think I'll pass. That's absolutely ridiculous.

When I was a kid I used to go to the town dump on Sundays to see what cool stuff people chucked. One of the people in town committed suicide and they just dumped all the stuff from his apartment right at the beginning of the dump. I know this because he wrote his name on the albums. A common thing people used to do.

I got all the original U.S. releases of all the Beatles albums as well as all their original 45s and a few solo albums. All Things Must Pass was one of them. It was like Christmas and my birthday times a 100. Many years later I lost them all when my basement flooded. I actually cried when it happened.

I'd love to get this set. I've heard the remixes on XM and some on Youtube and they did an excellent job. For the first time ever I can understand all the words. It's like they dialed back the 'wall of sound' and made it more of a George Martin sound if that makes sense. But $121 bucks? My Sweet Lord that's a lot of Wah Wah.

😟

There are cheaper versions here in Europe…… as prolly in the US

However, The most expensive set is 252 € - so, you’ve got a bargin ! Taxes on cd’s are horrendous here v USA. Same on guitars. Like you, its a no go for me. Isn’t it a Pity?

But you can download the mp3’s for only 13 € from Amazon France. 😜😂😜😂. I’ll get my hat …….

J

Edited by Jeremy Oakes
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

For the first time ever I can understand all the words. It's like they dialed back the 'wall of sound' and made it more of a George Martin sound if that makes sense.

This makes complete sense.  Phil Spector had a hand in producing John Lennon's "Sometime in New York City" album which included some bonus material from the Frank Zappa Fillmore East concert when Lennon and Ono sat in.  As a Zappa fan, it was clear to me that Spector did not come anywhere close to the production values I was used to--it was muddied, the vocals and instruments were not as crisp as I was used to--even by 1972 standards--and the sonic material was not well balanced.

Decades later some of the material from the concert was included on an official Zappa release. Hearing that material reaffirmed my early impression of how awful the Lennon/Ono/Spector production values were.

So if the new "All Things Must Pass" used the masters to undo the heavy hand of Spector's style of production, I would assume that's a good thing.  Still, I agree that $121 is asking a lot.

Zappa criticised the presentation of the Mothers' performance on Some Time in New York City, as the vocals of Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan had been removed, and Zappa did not receive writing credit for "King Kong", which was wrongly identified on this release as "Jamrag". He and Lennon had also agreed that each would release their own version of the performance, but Zappa was legally prevented from issuing his version, which did not appear until the release of Playground Psychotics in 1992.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

There are cheaper versions here in Europe…… as prolly in the US

I just checked and yes you are right. I found a 3 CD version without the photo/notes book for $25 U.S.. The Deluxe Edition with all the demos and outtakes and book is now $131. 

I think there is an ultra deluxe version and I know there is a vinyl version but I couldn't find pricing on Amazon for those. $25 is better.

2 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

you could get the FLAC version with all the demos if you're not bothered about the book

Yikes. Just did a search. No thanks. I can wait to see if it drops in price.

The one I won't be able to resist no matter what the cost is the upcoming Let It Be movie by Peter Jackson.

7 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

oh i'd forgotten about that, might be time for a re-watch

Lucky you. We're not allowed to purchase or watch it here in the U.S.. I've even tried to download it illegally and they somehow replace parts of the video with other crap or the audio is completely screwed up and out of sync. Not sure why it's like this. I used to rent it on VHS. His company seems to rule with an iron fist. Just restore it and put it out on 4kUHD. You'll make millions. Jeez.

I had an all horror channel satellite dish years ago called Voom. It was a service owned by John Carpenter and a couple other horror icons iirc. It was on one of those channels but they got bought out and shut down by Dish Network and they bricked the hard drive so I couldn't watch anything I had recorded. That's when I got rid of Dish and haven't had or missed satellite or cable since. That was 18 + years ago.

I can buy an import region 2 dvd for a lot of money then rip it and remove the copy protection then burn it to a US Region 1 dvd or slap it on a thumb drive but it's a pain in the *****.

If you like hardcore over the top comedic gore the best it gets. I love the graveyard/priest scene. "I kick ***** for the Lord!" and a few seconds later ... 🔪

2 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

lucky you

Awesome! I hope it doesn't get taken down before I can watch it. All the various ways I knew of to download from there have been removed the net. If you know of a way that works please let me know. Thanks!!

25 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

Awesome! I hope it doesn't get taken down before I can watch it. All the various ways I knew of to download from there have been removed the net. If you know of a way that works please let me know. Thanks!!

i have 2 yt downloaders (firefox extensions) installed:

easy youtube video downloader express

youtube mp3 downloader

i suspect it was the first that got me a 720 version of that movie, if you pay for the full thing you can get as high a res as yt is hosting