OsTIrus -- FREE Virus Ti Emulator By The Usual Suspects

locrian

Review:  https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2024/04/23/ostirus/

D/L:  https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/ostirus-downloads/

Note:  As with all previous releases, the emulator itself is free.  However, you do have to provide a legally acquired Virus Ti firmware file to make the most of it.  If you can swing that, you’re in for one of the best softsynths in recent memory.

Edited by locrian
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• locrian changed the title to OsTIrus -- FREE Virus Ti Emulator By The Usual Suspects
37 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

As long as you're an owner of the TI, you can download it from that page and extract it (unzip it) from: Virus TI Installer 5.1.7.00 for Windows 64 bit msi.. in theory 😉

Hmmm, I don't think so... Or?

5 minutes ago, Zoukiman said:

Hmmm, I don't think so... Or?

There's a cab file inside it and it one of the files is the bin... just needs an ever so slight rename from _bin to .bin and it's good to go... in theory.. Haha.. 

17 hours ago, locrian said:

Review:  https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2024/04/23/ostirus/

D/L:  https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/ostirus-downloads/

Note:  As with all previous releases, the emulator itself is free.  However, you do have to provide a legally acquired Virus Ti firmware file to make the most of it.  If you can swing that, you’re in for one of the best softsynths in recent memory.

As ex user of access virus A,B,C and TI 1 this sounds exatly same as original - on emulation of virus b i load rom and load my backup patches from oldie backup all works fine.  Works great if you use only 1 patch no try multi :) very nice virus ti and for free ;)).   I bought 1 year back midimix midi controler with custom knobs to control this vst and all works well.

Edited by Kreveta Puket
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Kreveta Puket said:

As ex user of access virus A,B,C and TI 1 this sounds exatly same as original - on emulation of virus b i load rom and load my backup patches from oldie backup all works fine.  Works great if you use only 1 patch no try multi :) very nice virus ti and for free ;)).   I bought 1 year back midimix midi controler with custom knobs to control this vst and all works well.

Sounds the same ? not sure , isn't the Ti has analog filter also ? Being able to load the same patches doesn't warranty the same sound .

3 hours ago, Zo said:

Sounds the same ? not sure , isn't the Ti has analog filter also ? Being able to load the same patches doesn't warranty the same sound .

Sound same, virus ti havent analog filter, it was all time vst in box.Sound exatly same 1:1 i have from my oldie rec my patches and its 1:1 emulation. Its real virus os emulator- use same rom from ti , b, c .

Image it is like rom from nintendo console its same.

try Viper vst - it can load some patches but never sound same as your hw + on vir ti emulator all knobs do same hell ;) as original hw , really same. 

big plus you no need super modern cpu i run it on i7 from 2013 4 thread on base freqency 2,4

( now hope they do in future Nord Modular :) )

Edited by Kreveta Puket
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 4:07 PM, MusicMan said:

There's a cab file inside it and it one of the files is the bin... just needs an ever so slight rename from _bin to .bin and it's good to go... in theory.. Haha.. 

... it worked in fact! 🙂 THX!

1. unzip the  V. TI Suite .msi file

2. unzip the cab file

3. rename the f..._bin / _bin64 with .bin at the end

4. place the file in the same directory as for your OSTIRUS VST, start it

5. Working like a charm (TI2 ROM loaded)

Edited by Zoukiman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zoukiman said:

3. rename the firmware_bin / _bin64 with .bin at the end

There are two files there: firmware_bin and firmware_bin64. 
Do you mean rename them for (for example) firmware.bin and firmware64.bin ?
Or rename to firmware_bin.bin and firmware_bin64.bin?
Both are needed?
Sorry to ask but I am very interested in this and cannot test it right now.
Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Sergio said:

There are two files there: firmware_bin and firmware_bin64. 
Do you mean rename them for (for example) firmware.bin and firmware64.bin ?
Or rename to firmware_bin.bin and firmware_bin64.bin?
Both are needed?
Sorry to ask but I am very interested in this and cannot test it right now.
Thanks in advance.

I do not know, I've just tried with the _bin 😉

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kreveta Puket said:

I have a Modular G2 Engine expanded. It's one of my favorite synths and the Clavia software editor is still compatible with Win10.

IMO the most difficult part would be replicating this patch editor.  The Nord Modular front panel does not help much without a dedicated editor for patching. And to create it as a VST plugin would be even harder I think.

The native modular synths of today have surpassed the Nord in terms of sound quality and versatility though.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kreveta Puket said:

Sound same, virus ti havent analog filter, it was all time vst in box.Sound exatly same 1:1 i have from my oldie rec my patches and its 1:1 emulation. Its real virus os emulator- use same rom from ti , b, c .

Image it is like rom from nintendo console its same.

try Viper vst - it can load some patches but never sound same as your hw + on vir ti emulator all knobs do same hell ;) as original hw , really same. 

big plus you no need super modern cpu i run it on i7 from 2013 4 thread on base freqency 2,4

Im' pretty sure i 've read one filter is analog moogish modeled , can't recall the model .... anyway looks interesting , Sample rate and resolution could play also imho , watching as i type an A/B where o hear diffirences , but i will not say it sounds less good ....

• Like 1

Its superb that we now all have free access virus Esp C and TI for free. Guys who made these motorola chip emus had ti version about year, but they release it after ofico end of sale virus ti. Hope they will do more and try Supernova too. Waldorf q is decent but need more love.... :)) 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kreveta Puket said:

Its superb that we now all have free access virus Esp C and TI for free. Guys who made these motorola chip emus had ti version about year, but they release it after ofico end of sale virus ti. Hope they will do more and try Supernova too. Waldorf q is decent but need more love.... :)) 

supernova : check v station , it's still solid and has this vibe .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zo said:

supernova : check v station , it's still solid and has this vibe .

Thx Heh i have it 😃   ( must instal it again ) had k station desktop rack in past  and nova desktop but no big rack supernova ;) and now its coming time( hope will  be in near future ) to try ;))) it as vst 

TheUsualSuspects - they make gems now :) 

Edited by Kreveta Puket
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Kreveta Puket said:

Thx Heh i have it 😃   ( must instal it again ) had k station desktop rack in past  and nova desktop but no big rack supernova ;) and now its coming time( hope will  be in near future ) to try ;))) it as vst 

TheUsualSuspects - they make gems now :) 

Yep solid stuff they make  ....

Is osirus the same as the osTIrus , just gui change ? i can load each patch on both but i remebr people telling TI has extra stuff and patches can sound diff ...