Anyone using Remote Desktop (or similar application) to remote into a computer running CbB?

tunesmithers

Question

I am interested in trying to remote into my studio computer from my office computer and work on edits to Cakewalk files.  I have used Google Chrome Remote Desktop and that works well to access the computer.  The issue is I cannot get audio from Cakewalk through google Remote Desktop. I can from other sources on the host computer (I.e. I can play a YouTube video and hear it fine) through the remote connection but not Cakewalk. 

For Cakewalk, I am using ASIO drivers.  Audio interface is Focusrite Liquid Saffire.  Computer is running windows 10.

Any thoughts?

9 answers to this question

SonoBus. A free app that can be used as a plug in on your Master Bus. It is also a stand alone PC, OS and Android app. 
I use it to send Cakewalk playback to my cell phone as a proofing tool. 
It uses your network.
So I could play my latest mix for you anywhere in the world. 
Sound quality is subject to settings and bandwidth. 
So in my home using CAT5 networking, computer to computer,  I can have higher sound quality. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2024 at 9:09 PM, John Vere said:

SonoBus. A free app that can be used as a plug in on your Master Bus. It is also a stand alone PC, OS and Android app. 
I use it to send Cakewalk playback to my cell phone as a proofing tool. 
It uses your network.
So I could play my latest mix for you anywhere in the world. 
Sound quality is subject to settings and bandwidth. 
So in my home using CAT5 networking, computer to computer,  I can have higher sound quality. 

Are you using a VPN?

I did try this in the past, but audio was pretty much a non-starter as although I did get it working (with WASAPI), it killed performance.

I've tried both VNC and Windows RDP - both worked ok, although performance wasn't stellar (mind you, my network was only 100MB rather than 1GB).

Nowadays I just keep my projects sync'd to the cloud so I can access them anywhere - it does mean my laptop needs all the plugins installed though.

If your studio is in the same property as your office, you could try a more lo-tech solution like splitting your audio output and either using bluetooth transmitter/receiver, or a long audio cable. 

You may find VNC / Windows RDP is fine for video / keyboard / mouse control, otherwise there are similar lo-tech solutions for video (both wired & wireless).  For keyboard/mouse, any remote software KVM solution will work without any real performance issues.

I'll take a shot at this. I think he wants to hear the audio on one PC in his studio from his office PC.

I recorded a vocalist on 2 songs 100 miles away from me. You have to use WASAPI Shared to hear the audio. Controlling the other computer is something I do by using Anydesk. Would that work for you?

Michael

On 4/3/2024 at 2:51 PM, tunesmithers said:

For Cakewalk, I am using ASIO drivers.

Use WASAPI Shared and you should get better results.

My favorite remote desktop app for long distances is Teamviewer, inside the house, I just use the built-in Windows Remote Desktop.