Great Guitars...That Suck to Own

Posted (edited)

The Gibson ES 175 CC I bought a little over a year ago was a guitar I had wanted to own and play for 40 years .

I got the ES  at a good price because the frets were pretty low and the guitar needed a fret job .

I personally don't like fret less wonder neck set ups so I start saving up the money to get the fret work done .

Other than that one vintage wear and tear issue , the guitar itself is in great shape . 💪👄👍

His video hit the nail on the head when he mentioned often times Vintage Guitars need work done to them .

Getting them playable for your personal playing preferences may involve costly repairs.

Finding the right qualified person / shop to have the work done has been a real PITA .

I did an extensive search and I may have found a shop in Portland OR to have the work done ....

Yeah Great ...So Guess what ?

So now that I have left Vintage Guitar Repair Purgatory !! I'm now in Vintage Guitar Repair Limbo !

A fret job in the shop I'm considering having the work done at costs right on the border just about North of $600.00 +.

If I have to pay that much to get it done right OK !  I think I Ken Do It !

So I close my eyes, take a deep breath, click my cowboy boots three times ,  grab my ankles and whisper. I Ken do that 🫣

OK! so now I have taken all the time it took to raise the coin to get the work done . It still feels like I can't seem to win ....

I live a few miles just outside of an area where many reputable stores and shops make the Local News almost nightly for repeated break ins, store vandalism and thefts .The repair shop is dead smack in the thick of all that ...

Even though I have questioned the shop personal on the phone about how things are for the shop, the safety of the area , and parking .

I have decided put the fret job on hold because I am not leaving my guitar anyplace with anyone for 2  to 3 months  just to have the work done ....

NO Ken DO

I'm just not feeling the Love !

So on behalf of myself and my  Vintage ES 175  . We are proud to have contributed and we gladly accept the Trophy for Our respectable Fifth Place finish in The Great Guitars that Suck to Own thread  :P

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

This Duet was played by me tonight on a Great Guitar that only cost me peanuts . B|

Whoa !    if I would have know the picture would show up that Big I would have spared you the Fugly !😄

It's too late Now !

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 2

Hey Ken, too bad Thomann are in Europe....they do a stainless steel new frets PLUS plecking the new frets (they have a plec machine).

You can advise the setup, frets material,height, nut height, neck relief, action etc for around 500,-.

And their customer service is very good in my experience.

Is it no option to reach out to Gibson and ask them if they would install new frets and/or have the guitar plec'd ?

I mean, you have an excecptional piece of their history...

Perhaps Stewmac would be interested in doing the refret and make a Youtube vid for their channel/advertising and give you a good price.

Imo most repair shops don't do the refret right, especially the levelling and I guess, especially over time, the guitar will be buzzing etc.

Good luck.

Edited by Sheens
  • Great Idea 1

On 3/18/2024 at 4:32 PM, kennywtelejazz said:

I live a few miles just outside of an area where many reputable stores and shops make the Local News almost nightly for repeated break ins, store vandalism and thefts .The repair shop is dead smack in the thick of all that ...

I was recently stunned to learn through a mutual friend that Keith Kurciewski, who is a good friend of mine (used to live around the block from me in Alameda before he got a job with National and then started his own store), is shutting down 3Tracks and has already moved back to California.

Who the hell moves from OR to CA?

Then when I found out the reason, that St. Johns has become plagued with crime, I was even more stunned. I drove up to PDX 8 years ago to be there and help him out at the store's grand opening, and I though St. John's was a beautiful, charming area that was up and coming, with him moving in and a record store opening across the street.

Now he tells me that the record store had to close due to multiple instances of vandalism and burglary, and he's shutting down 3 Tracks!

I don't know if you remember, but several years back, there was a break-in attempt at his store that his amp repair guy (my former housemate and protege) fended off by brandishing a socket wrench. It made the local nightly TV news.

Who did you find to do the work on your Gibby? Is St. John's the district you're referring to?

People are placing the blame for this stuff on the local DA being as useless as bewbies on a boar hog.

Me, I bought cheap guitars from Craig's List and learned how to do my own refrets.

Edited by Starship Krupa

3 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

People are placing the blame for this stuff on the local DA being as useless as bewbies on a boar hog.

I happen to know who the local DA in the Portland area is!  He was once on a dart team that played out the same bar that mine did (plus I was the Director of the league for a few years and met him that way too).

Pretty much his entire campaign was financed by George Soros which came with very specific instructions on how 'Ol George expected things to be run!

It's not exactly moral or ethical!

I avoid going across the river if at all possible now (I'm in Vancouver Washington right across the river).  I still have to go occasionally (plus my Mom is in a care home in Portland at the border of Gresham).  I plan multiple things for one day and go about once every two months.  That said, the few issues I've had to deal with all came when I was on that side of the river!  (Like having some of my gas syphoned out of my tank.)

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Kenny, I'm subscribed to the Five Watt World channel, he certainly makes some really interesting videos.

Hi Steve !

The Few Video's of his I have seen were very good . He does the research and puts it out there  as very easy to understand  . Plus he  seems OK with not trying to specifically change anybody's mind or force anyone over to his point of view .

That I respect .

all the best ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I was recently stunned to learn through a mutual friend that Keith Kurciewski, who is a good friend of mine (used to live around the block from me in Alameda before he got a job with National and then started his own store), is shutting down 3Tracks and has already moved back to California.

Who the hell moves from OR to CA?

Then when I found out the reason, that St. Johns has become plagued with crime, I was even more stunned. I drove up to PDX 8 years ago to be there and help him out at the store's grand opening, and I though St. John's was a beautiful, charming area that was up and coming, with him moving in and a record store opening across the street.

Now he tells me that the record store had to close due to multiple instances of vandalism and burglary, and he's shutting down 3 Tracks!

I don't know if you remember, but several years back, there was a break-in attempt at his store that his amp repair guy (my former housemate and protege) fended off by brandishing a socket wrench. It made the local nightly TV news.

Who did you find to do the work on your Gibby? Is St. John's the district you're referring to?

Me, I bought cheap guitars from Craig's List and learned how to do my own refrets.

For now let me stick with the two things you said that I brought out to the forefront .

At the moment I do not feel comfortable to bring my guitar over to either of  shops I have researched . I'm sure their work is fine but for now lets just say I choose to not mention their names  because I do not want to throw shade at them as far as where they are located .

The last few  times I have been to a local Guitar Center in North Portland I got bad vibes ... I pull in the parking lot and there  is broken glass from cars that had gotten broken into in broad daylight . Then there is a whole parade of guys and girls with bicycles walking while pushing a stuffed shopping cart ...

Then all along the road is tent city ....and on weekends the general area is taken over for street racing ...Eff all That

The last guitar tech that did fret work on one of my guitars was Jay Black ! who wound up being a Fender Custom Shop Luther . I can live with the low frets for now .

My ES is somewhat of a rare guitar . It's a Gibson ,and at 42 years old in excellent condition it only needs  a fret job . There were only 478 of them made in two years  .

I played one of the same model ES 175 almost 40 years ago and it has taken me 38 years to acquire the one I got ....

Kenny

57 minutes ago, craigb said:

Pretty much his entire campaign was financed by George Soros which came with very specific instructions on how 'Ol George expected things to be run!

I'll not get deeply into it because forum rules about politics. I'll just say that I call myself a "redneck liberal," which means that while I look for progressive solutions, I also have a low tolerance for nonsense, whether it comes in from the right or the left. And district attorneys who don't do their job is nonsense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kennywtelejazz said:

At the moment I do not feel comfortable to bring my guitar over to either of  shops I have researched . I'm sure their work is fine but for now lets just say I choose to not mention their names  because I do not want to throw shade at them as far as where they are located .

How I hate to hear this. That is the death of a business district, people who repair things are rare enough without having to face things like this.

Curious, though, did you ever visit 3 Tracks when it was thriving? Keith is a great repair guy (and the sweetest dude) who learned his chops doing final QA and setup at the National factory in San Luis Obispo. He had a lot of cool old oddball guitars and amps in the store along with the classic vintage and bargain newer stuff. Just the kind of store that I love to browse.

15 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

And district attorneys who don't do their job is nonsense.

Couldn't agree more!  Apparently, there are 75 of them in key areas all across the U.S. and all must go!

Ok, back to music!

• Great Idea 1