Feature Request: Matrix View like in Cakewalk Project 5

Asato Maa

Dear developers!

It would be very interesting to know about plans to finalize the Matrix module!
If it, this module, would be improved to the level of Cakewalk Project 5, it would be the best alternative to Bitwig and Ableton on the market!!!

At the moment, for me personally, the module is useless. But it could become a very cool and very popular feature, which is in Bitwig and Logic.

Let's support the idea to finalize the matrix (already written about it on the forum) and make it one of the features of the future Sonar!

What do you think?

397654739_.png.5851de4e58ec5d773a8c2afda8986a79.png

Edited by Asato Maa
  • Like 1

• Asato Maa changed the title to Feature Request: Matrix View like in Cakewalk Project 5
On 2/29/2024 at 10:43 AM, Asato Maa said:

What do you think?

I think I'm interested to know more about what you think is missing from the Matrix as currently implemented, vs. Project 5 (and Bitwig, FL, Ableton Live, and so forth).

What features should be added? What features should be changed?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I think I'm interested to know more about what you think is missing from the Matrix as currently implemented, vs. Project 5 (and Bitwig, FL, Ableton Live, and so forth).

What features should be added? What features should be changed?

There are many errors in the matrix. 

Copying clips was implemented with errors.  The logic by which he inserts clips into 2 or 3 tracks is unclear.  The work in the matrix is implemented for the most part for drums.  The clip can only be opened in the sequencer. 

It would be convenient to use a matrix like in Bitwig to store options and sketches.  And then be able to open clips in piano roll.  Which was implemented in Project 5. And now in Bitwig.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

Well, if it was in Project 5, then it means the code is probably in BandLab's possession. There is hope.

Most likely not as Project 5 was 32bit code

• Like 1

@Asato Maa  Add me to the list for this request. Over atthe NEXT Beat Discord channel I mentioned similar in the Next Suggestions section:

"In NEXT we have the PAD CONTROLLER which is similar-ish to the Matrix View in Sonar?

Here I would love to see a CAKEWALK take on Abletons Session View. To maybe expand the PAD CONTROLLER so you can add samples, instruments, midi etc to the cells/columns.  Then be able to play rows as well as columns .. great for creativity"

Below is the ableton session view with sample track - 2nd row being played by pressing the play button over right under MAin / 2

Ableton12sessionview.jpg.12f183c63488f4f4fbe4b97eef083ee4.jpg

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 8:03 AM, Starship Krupa said:

I meant the source code. Source code isn't 32 or 64 or any bit until its compiled.

i used p5 a lot, and never understood why they never bothered releasing a x64 version :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pwal³ said:

i used p5 a lot, and never understood why they never bothered releasing a x64 version :(

It seems to be much missed by the people who used it. I don't know the timeline, but maybe Cakewalk, Inc. pulled the plug on it before 64-bit became a must-have thing?

nah, everyone was going (or had gone x64) and there were hints in the forum that it would happen, but then the plug was suddenly pulled, i guess they didn't have the funding at that point to justify the effort... ah well, at least sonar has survived

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 5:00 AM, pwal³ said:

nah, everyone was going (or had gone x64) and there were hints in the forum that it would happen, but then the plug was suddenly pulled, i guess they didn't have the funding at that point to justify the effort

I suspect that when a company has to decide whether to spend resources on being compatible with some advancement in technology, we see more than the usual number of products being dropped.

We saw it happen in the past few years with multiple plug-ins due to Apple coming out with their own processors and then announcing that the backward compatibility layer was going to be removed.

So do we keep updating this plug-in that seems to have run its course or do we drop it and come out with an improved version?

iZotope dropped a bunch of stuff in the past couple of years. Break Tweaker, half a dozen Exponential reverbs, Iris 2, Trash 2. I suspect that was the choice there, do we invest in updating these oldies for Apple Silicon or just retire them? Tough noogies for people who want to keep using them on their Macs, but take it up with Apple.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, pwal³ said:

tbf it had nothing to do with apple (and their deliberate shelf-life business plan)

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it had. I was trying to draw a parallel between the transition from 32-bit Windows apps to 64-bit ones and the transition from Intel Mac apps to Apple Silicon apps.

As something that might cause some companies to decide that it wasn't worth updating their products.

Which is what I thought may have happened with Project 5, but then you informed me that the move to 64-bit programs was well along its way when the plug was pulled.

On 4/1/2024 at 3:57 AM, Starship Krupa said:

It seems to be much missed by the people who used it. I don't know the timeline, but maybe Cakewalk, Inc. pulled the plug on it before 64-bit became a must-have thing?

It wasn't quite a must have at the time, even though the writing was on the wall.   Also,  Cakewalk did one last survey of what things people thought was most important before their last release and "Input Quantization" seems to have won.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...