Midi Into Computer

Grem

20 minutes ago, Craig Fowler said:

Depends on the unit I s'pose...For the first time, I now have a keyboard without a 5-pin midi output! I was skeptical about plugging straight into the PC via USB, but it's kinda nice not having to go through my audio interface.

OMG, you're right. I just realized that my MIDI controller is also directly connected to the PC. Only mic and guitar are connected to my audio interface.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Grem said:

What's  the best way to get midi from a hardware unit into a computer these days?

That would be using whatever cable/connector the hardware unit has available.

If it's 5-pin DIN, then you need to plug it into a MIDI interface, either built into your interface (most PreSonae have them), or dedicated.

If it's USB, then straight into a USB port.

If you're trying to choose a controller based on which type of connection it uses, then it depends on whether your interface includes 5-pin DIN. If it doesn't, then a controller with its own USB connection would be necessary.

The advantage to the 5-pin DIN MIDI connection is that you can use it to plug bits of MIDI hardware into each other without the need for a computer (what MIDI was originally intended to be used for).

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Yep. I got that figured out. Not a noob! : )

That said, I have gotten rid of all my interfaces that have Midi inputs on them. And all midi hardware I now have has USB interface.

SOOOO I thought maybe they came out with a very simple/cheap way to convert midi into a USB signal for all that old hardware that we all have laying around.

Really was trying to keep this short...

I have a Behringer midi foot controller I want to use with amp sims and synths. It has 5 pin din.

I have a Yamaha electronic drum controller I want to use also. It has 5 pin din.

Thus my need for a simple midi interface. 

Thanks for all your responses. I should have made it more clear.

(And I should have posted in the CH, not the deals!! Unless somebody can find a real good deal on some kind of midi interface... then we all benefit!! Funny how that works!)

Edited by Grem

After some investigation, it would seem that MIDI I/O's of multi-port nature are dinosaurs, so even though I rarely use it anymore, I'm not going to pull my midiman midisport 8x8 anytime soon.

I wonder, if one had a bunch of HW devices to connect, would it be possible to use several 5pin DIN devices as noted previously on a POWERED USB hub? Curious...

Edited by OutrageProductions
nomenclature correction
  • Great Idea 1

30 minutes ago, Grem said:

Thank you!! This is what I couldn't find. Ordered.

And thanks for the wifi idea. That looks promising.  Not that expensive. 

You're welcome.

It's actually not WiFi but Bluetooth LE (compatible with most recent computers, phones, and tablets).

Here's a search for Bluetooth midi: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bluetooth+midi

CME is probably the most reliable/premium option.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OutrageProductions said:

After some investigation, it would seem that MIDI I/O's of multi-channel nature are dinosaurs, so even though I rarely use it anymore, I'm not going to pull my midiman midisport 8x8 anytime soon.

I wonder, if one had a bunch of HW devices to connect, would it be possible to use several 5pin DIN devices as noted previously on a POWERED USB hub? Curious...

This is exactly what I was thinking as I no longer have any midi interface anymore. And my midi arsenal is small compared to some I know. I have only four hardware midi controllers I use. Two are USB (Alesis Q49, Trigger Finger) and two without, (Behringer foot controller FCB 1010, and Yamaha DD75).

And there must be others with a need greater than mine that has a audio interface that doubled as a midi interface, that no longer works in Window X.

@Grem; there do seem to be some 2 port & 4 port I/O devices still available, but for a suite of HW synths (more than two) it seems that selection is extremely limited.

My old (20 years +) Midisport had 8/8 I/O ports for a total of 128 MIDI channels... only ever had (back in the Paleoscene Era, pre USB) 3 keyboards & 1 MPC-60, which are now fossilized.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grem said:

all midi hardware I now have has USB interface

Except for....

4 hours ago, Grem said:

I have a Behringer midi foot controller I want to use with amp sims and synths. It has 5 pin din.

I have a Yamaha electronic drum controller I want to use also. It has 5 pin din.

The inexpensive 5-pin-to-USB interfaces on Amazon are fine, just don't be tempted by the under $10 black ones.

Avoid this type (the one with the body that's black with rounded corners and usually has a staff/clef symbol on it that typically goes for under $10).

This type (the one with the clear window with activity lights that typically goes for $15 or so) is fine.

I know the above from (bitter, in the case of the <$10 one) experience. With those, it's common to experience dropped notes and stuck notes. The slightly more expensive one has been solid as a rock for years.

The only hitch I ever ran into was that the MIDI hardware spec calls for a diode across the input to any MIDI device. This was originally part of an optocoupler, but I think optocouplers have long since been superseded by less expensive solutions. Most manufacturers probably just stick an LED across the input in case there's any legacy equipment that still expects to see a diode drop.

Of COURSE I wound up with one that didn't have the diode, and OF COURSE I had one of the very very few pieces of MIDI equipment that insists on having a diode drop across whatever it plugs into or it petulantly refuses to operate (this would be the famous Rockband keytar that doubles as a MIDI controller). I solved this by soldering a diode across the input myself. The Rockband keytar is the only device I've ever heard of that won't work unless it senses the diode drop, probably uses it to know to turn of the wireless connection and use the MIDI port instead.

In other words, unless you need to plug in a Rockband keytar, you should be fine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

Except for....

Yeah... here I go with that clarity again!!

I meant "the only ones I use on a regular basis!! : )" But you knew that didn't you!! Dealing with me for so long!! (gotta laugh at myself) And again, when I wrote it, it was very clear... to me!! :)

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

The only hitch I ever ran into

All my stuff has been since 2k. Nothing 'vintage'.  So I should get around that little hitch. The oldest USB I have is the Original Trigger Finger. And it's worked on everything XP to Win11.

I did order the one that ACL found for me. The 6' version. And I read some of the reviews before I pulled the trigger. 

Wasn't you in that thread recently that we were talking about Amazon selling a lot of fake stuff?

And just for everyone watching, I did search. I searched for midi interfaces. Never thought about a midi to USB cable!! Seriously!! 

Again, thanks everyone!!

• Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted a completely wireless setup on stage, so I took my old Casio PX5S 88 key synth which can be powered with internal batteries. I recently ordered a Lekato wireless midi connector. It recharges on litium battery, has both in and out and isn't technically bluetooth. 2.5 khz I think? 

I can report back on how it worked out. I also made my guitar and mic wireless.

My idea was to play through a vsti on my laptop. 

On 2/27/2024 at 4:26 PM, Starship Krupa said:

If it's 5-pin DIN, then you need to plug it into a MIDI interface, either built into your interface (most PreSonae have them), or dedicated.

If it's USB, then straight into a USB port.

If you're trying to choose a controller based on which type of connection it uses, then it depends on whether your interface includes 5-pin DIN. If it doesn't, then a controller with its own USB connection would be necessary.

The advantage to the 5-pin DIN MIDI connection is that you can use it to plug bits of MIDI hardware into each other without the need for a computer (what MIDI was originally intended to be used for) Everett Junk Removal.

Hello. I purchased a Kawai VPC-1 which I'm using with Pianoteq and Garritan CFX. I'm using an Apogee Duet to get sound to my speakers or headphones. I've noticed that I can plug the VPC-1 either directly into my computer's USB input, or through the Apogee's midi USB input. It seems either way the most my computer can handle is a buffer size of 256 at a sample rate of 96khz or 128 at 48khz. My question: is there any reason why it would be preferable to run the VPC-1 into the Apogee vs. straight into the computer, or should there be no difference at all? Thanks

Edited by oscarreece

17 minutes ago, oscarreece said:

....either way the most my computer can handle is a buffer size of 256 at a sample rate of 96khz or 128 at 48khz. My question: is there any reason why it would be preferable to run the VPC-1 into the Apogee vs. straight into the computer, or should there be no difference at all?

Since you're getting the same latency either way, it seems like there's no difference. If you run into issues in the future, then you can experiment with switching. At this point, the only criterion would be how you prefer to do it, going into the Apogee at least saves a USB port on your computer.

If you're really curious, ask whatever support there is at Apogee. Their forum if they have one or email tech support.