Long time Interface driver problems... Please help!!!

T Boog

Hi guys. I've been using my Audiobox usb96 interface since I began recording about 2 years ago. Well, a few months back, I started having problems with it. When I'd load a project, I'd get a loud crackle/popping-static sound and then no sound at all. I had to reload the project multiple times to get it to work. (I think the problem may have started when I plugged the interface into the wrong usb port)

Well, about a month ago, I made a couple changes(like uninstalling an unneeded synth driver) and my interface started working perfectly. My whole computer started working faster and better.

The only prob I was still having was excessive hiss. So two days ago, I borrowed my friend's Audiobox iTwo interface and sure enough... its way quieter and better sounding. So I ordered a new iTwo like his which I should receive in 2 days.

HOWEVER, later that night when I restarted the computer, my friend's iTwo started having the same crackle/pop then no sound problem. Plus it caused my whole computer to keep getting stuck. But as soon as I unplugged the interface, my computer worked fine again. 

Both the usb96 and iTwo use the same Presonus "Universal Control" driver. I tried reinstalling it a couple times but the problem still remained. I then plugged my usb96 back in, and it works perfect. 

So anyway, that's my issue guys. I have a nice, quiet, new interface on it's way but I'm expecting to have the same connection problems when I get it. Any ideas on how to fix this? (before I put my head thru a wall 🤕)

Check out this thread in the Computer forum, it has a pretty comprehensive list of system checks to consider.

The other thing to check specifically for your situation is that the sample rate/bit depth in the universal control match the project settings. If using that interface with multiple applications (i.e., it is a default output in Windows Sound Settings - see below, as this is something you really do not want if feasible), the first app that uses it will lock the sample rate/bit depth. I got my first experience with Universal Control last fall, and unlike most every other ASIO driver, it will connect to multiple apps at different sample rate/bit depths. On my system that inserted a noticeable latency hit, but otherwise functioned fine. However, it didn't tell me (actively) that it was doing it, and it might do more than just insert latency on other machines.

A one-time thing I do with interfaces is go into Windows Sound Settings and explicitly tell Windows to use the RealTek chip as the default audio device (with the interface connected/visible). You also want both "exclusive control" boxes in Windows Sound Settings unchecked for devices so that Windows isn't running the show with how things are being used.

• Like 1

A good maintenance thing to do is open Device Manager and select Show Hidden Devices from the View menu.

Look under Sound, video and Game Controllers. If there are duplicate greyed out entries for your audio interfaces, uninstall them. While you're at it, disable the display audio driver (on my system it's "Intel Display Audio").

Windows can get weird if there are too many unused copies of USB devices.

Also, bus-powered interfaces like this pump the 5V supplied by the port up to 48V to power condenser mics. Sometimes, especially if there are multiple bus-powered devices plugged into the same root hub, the hub just can't supply enough power. In that case, a powered external hub is called for.

Last but not least, USB cables can go bad just like any other cable and cause problems with data and/or power transmission, so try another cable. My own PreSonus Studio 2|4 which I picked up used, came with a cable that messed up performance, and when I finally got a good cable, it started working fine.

2 hours ago, Promidi said:

Personally, this is where I start thinking of another manufacturer.

PreSonus is a well-established company with a good reputation. I myself use one of their USB interfaces and have had no problems with it whatsoever.

The Audiobox 96 in particular is a tried and true workhorse.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot guys. Well I may have found a problem. When following the Audiobox uninstall directions, under "program files" > "Universal Control" file, there's both old and new presonus & Univ-Control files that wont let me delete them. When I try to delete them it says... "File in use, The action can't be completed because the file is open in Universal Control, close the file and try again".

Could someone please tell me how to do this? How do I close the file yet delete what's inside of it?

23 minutes ago, T Boog said:

Thanks a lot guys. Well I may have found a problem. When following the Audiobox uninstall directions, under "program files" > "Universal Control" file, there's both old and new presonus & Univ-Control files that wont let me delete them. When I try to delete them it says... "File in use, The action can't be completed because the file is open in Universal Control, close the file and try again".

Could someone please tell me how to do this? How do I close the file yet delete what's inside of it?

Looks like the Universal Control is still running . 

Personally, I would not be deleting files in c:\program files.

What I would do go Start run > "appwiz.cpl" and see if there is an older version there that you can remove

I am assuming that you have headed to the manufacturer's website and downloaded the latest drivers already so that you can reinstall them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Promidi said:

What I would do go Start run > "appwiz.cpl" and see if there is an older version there that you can remove

Thanks Promidi. I just did that and it only showed the one new version.

Btw, I took ur advice and also ordered a diff brand interface. The Behringer umc204. All reviews said the preamps are low noise and John mentioned it uses asio4all. Im hoping that helps.

It should be here monday so I think Im just gonna wait and try that one out. I'll be sure to update yall once I give it a try.

Btw, Any advice for swapping over to the new asio4all driver? Im guessing I just follow the audiobox uninstall directions again then follow Behringer's driver install directions?

• Meh 1

13 minutes ago, T Boog said:

Btw, I took ur advice and also ordered a diff brand interface. The Behringer umc204. All reviews said the preamps are low noise and John mentioned it uses asio4all. Im hoping that helps.

Personally I would have got a Focusrite 2i2 as it comes with true ASIO drivers.  ASIO4ALL are not true ASIO drivers but are only a wrapper.

Is it too late to cancel the order?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Personally I would have got a Focusrite 2i2 as it comes with true ASIO drivers.  ASIO4ALL are not true ASIO drivers but are only a wrapper.

Is it too late to cancel the order?

Well I looked at the 2i2 first but it has no midi. I gotta have midi. And yeah its too late to cancel the order but I don't mind returning it if it doesnt work. I'm hopeful it'll work though(call it faith 😉).

Oh, about my last question... Is there anything special I need to do to switch over besides following the uninstall directions?

8 minutes ago, T Boog said:

Well I looked at the 2i2 first but it has no midi. I gotta have midi.

Then the Focusrite 4i4. - that has MIDI ports.

I believe that the majority of your issues will evaporate if your get an audio interface that comes with native ASIO drivers, and that had 5 pin MIDI ports.

15 minutes ago, T Boog said:

Oh, about my last question... Is there anything special I need to do to switch over besides following the uninstall directions?

Make sure you select the right device in Preferences - Audio - Devices

I believe when you select the umc204 in CbB, you might get a message, Asio4all  “is known to be incompatible with Cakewalk”

If you do stay with the umc204, then consider using WASAPI driver mode. 

Most folks on here will stay away from anything to do with ASIO4ALL. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Most folks on here will stay away from anything to do with ASIO4ALL

Wow man, I didnt know that. Let me ask u this, All this time Ive been trying the universal control with my friend's audiobox iTwo. The new iTwo came in today at my daughter's house but I figured it'd be the same thing. Is there a chance that having the registered driver could make a diff?

6 minutes ago, T Boog said:

Wow man, I didnt know that. Let me ask u this, All this time Ive been trying the universal control with my friend's audiobox iTwo. The new iTwo came in today at my daughter's house but I figured it'd be the same thing. Is there a chance that having the registered driver could make a diff?

I am not sure if the driver for the iTwo is native ASIO or just an ASIO4ALL variant.

The way to test is this.  

In Cakewalk, select the iTwo’s driver mode in Cakewalk’s audio Preferences.  Play a project in Cakewalk. 

While that project is playing, adjust the Windows volume using the volume control in the Windows taskbar.

If the volume does NOT change, then you are using a native ASIO driver.  That is because true ASIO bypasses much of the Windows audio subsystem (including Windows level controls).   Think of true ASIO as a Batphone to your your audio interface. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

Most folks on here will stay away from anything to do with ASIO4ALL. 

Like the PLAGUE!

57 minutes ago, Promidi said:

If the volume does NOT change, then you are using a native ASIO driver.  That is because true ASIO bypasses much of the Windows audio subsystem (including Windows level controls).   Think of true ASIO as a Batphone to your your audio interface. 

Unless (like me) you have finagled your computer into using ASIO for everything on the system (system audio, browser audio, DAW audio, Video sled audio, et al).😁

8 hours ago, T Boog said:

Thanks Promidi. I just did that and it only showed the one new version.

Not sure if you got this resolved, but also be sure to set either set something else as your Windows default playback device, or remove the driver manually (and restart). For Windows, the manual method should be similar to what Focusrite advises to remove their Mix Control app (the "For Windows" section near the bottom).

IIRC, there was an update to the Universal Control in November about a week after I began testing it that resolved the only issue I had with the app. You definitely do not want conflicting installs running even if you need to remove both of them and install the new one from scratch.

Quick Edit: One big advantage of the Universal Control is it includes the FAT Channel from Studio One, so you can process signals before they are written to disk. I think I saw a reference that they are not ASIO drivers, but they most definitely are (and rather capable ones at that). I was running them through multiple apps simultaneously and the only app that took exception to these shenanigans was Melodyne. Melodyne stand-alone literally had a heart attack doing this, but no issues otherwise.

Edited by mettelus

1. Following the manufacturer's uninstall directions is a good thing. If you're getting a message saying that the files are open in Universal Control, the thing to do is quit Universal Control. You can do that from Universal Control's File menu. Down at the bottom of the menu, Quit.

2. I don't know why ASIO4ALL suddenly entered the discussion.  ASIO4ALL is a special case driver for use where your interface itself doesn't have its own true ASIO driver and your audio software doesn't support WASAPI Exclusive. The Audiobox, the iTwo and your new Behringer UMC204 all have their own true ASIO drivers, so there's no reason for you to mess with ASIO4ALL.

3. Did you try my suggestions to try a different cable and delete unused Device Manager entries?

15 hours ago, T Boog said:

The easiest way to remove drivers (at least in Windows 10) is:

1. Make sure the device is unplugged, and reboot your machine
2. Go into Device Manager ( short-cut WinKey + X, then press M )
3. On the View menu, ensure "Show Hidden Devices" is checked. This will show drivers for disconnected devices.
4. Expand the "Sound, video and game controllers" node
5. Right click on the driver you want to remove and select "Uninstall device"

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Did you try my suggestions to try a different cable and delete unused Device Manager entries?

Yeah bud. I think I've tried literally everything u guys have suggested and more. I did have(& deleted) the duplicate entries and I tried a diff usb cable. Nothing made a diff. 

Btw, I love hearing the umc204 has it's own asio driver. Youre giving me some hope again. It should be in tom and I'll immediately give it a try.

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

If you're getting a message saying that the files are open in Universal Control, the thing to do is quit Universal Control. You can do that from Universal Control's File menu. Down at the bottom of the menu, Quit.

Btw, I cant find this "Quit" option. 

Here's what Im doing...

1. Pressing Windows key + E

2. Clicking "This PC'

3. Double clicking"Windows (C)"

4. Double clicking "program files"

5. Double clicking "PreSonus"

...That brings up the "Universal Control" folder. When I right click on it, there's no option to quit. And when I open it, it list the new and old files... The top 6 listed are file folders from 2/17/24. Below that are 9 listed as "Application extension" dated 4/6/23, then there are 2 listed as "Application" also dated 4/6/23. The first is "PresonusHardwareAccessService.exe" and the other is "Universal Control.exe". 

Btw, when I double left click the "Universal Control.exe". It opens the Universal Control.