Folding MIDI Keyboard 61

Sven

I'm trying to get a decent but not too expensive folding 61 key piano to record demos on the road.  61 keys should do it since that will allow me to use my Ample guitar plugins.  Has anyone bought any of these and if so can you please recommend one if you like it?  

Some don't have velocity info which is something I definitely want.  The one below only connects via Bluetooth so I'm worried about if there might be latency issues.    I don't care about the built in sound quality for their piano tones or whatever...as long as I can get MIDI notes and velocity info into Cakewalk and my Synth plugins I should be fine.

An example of what I think I may want is available on Amazon:  "Finger Dance 61 Key Folding Piano Keyboard"

https://www.amazon.com/Finger-Dance-Keyboard-Imitation-Bluetooth/dp/B0B28BSJ6H/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=AL2465L7U6HL&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.tImkBVuHmpgj6qmCOjDDLJk3SisAMRonFpUThCcigvP_kCMwTjsdvDXRjDINkwWvno0K2F30W8CNQ5Z47iSimJGJMbI_xDLmDdFvn5HJVSYooSrbLFVwscxdEvkhaLpMp5El9xQKDb6eDgiJ0yhSsEmBHLEIItI3ImuP751ORxt3hkVkXh7o5Rj6fABG794nGK4W6J25AeLoAiM_WOPLXqEiwmV7pxLfw1hiCi9OgvONwkd1d6vAi4XLbi-h8lMN7RJkgUsPIisimBezxW3JZtEx1tKhhPd-MXDGP-PInw0.iaNwO8eVDUEdABILvTKtrgf2sdLlOO9M3oYvvRPuzfI&dib_tag=se&keywords=midi%2Bpiano%2Bfolding%2B61&qid=1707999554&sprefix=midi%2Bpiano%2Bfolding%2B61%2Caps%2C396&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Thanks!

If you scroll down on that description it says it will use a USB-C cable connection for MIDI as well, which is probably preferred over BT. Amazon has a very liberal return policy (and a coupon on that product to boot), so you can always test it out and return it if it doesn't fit your needs.

I have zero experience with any of these. The first pic in the product description made me laugh though... the product is HUGE, and they shrank the poor kid to the left of it.

f9ec703b-dfd6-4593-9930-c549ab37f206.__C

Thanks mettelus,

I ordered it today and should have it in a week.  There was a very similar model with a slightly better review rating I got.   I don't expect too much but if it's serviceable on the road trips to get ideas down that will be okay.

I've been using a silly cheap roll-up MIDI keyboard that I got for my kids which is a bit of a joke.  Maybe this one will make some new fun chirps for the kids too.   The built in Cakewalk PC keyboard piano is actually more useful, but very limited of course.

• Like 1

Hi.  I ended up buying this keyboard but I'm having a problem connected it to my PCs and Cakewalk.  I hooked it up to my home Win 10 desktop with a USB connection and Windows immediately found the driver and it looked fine to Windows.  But Cakewalk didn't show it appearing as a MIDI device.

Then I hit the road for a quick trip to test it with my Win 10 Acer laptop which is the device I actually want to use it with and I didn't see it yesterday via a USB cable  and Windows said there was a problem with the USB device.  I didn't quickly see a driver to download so I thought I'd try their keyboard Bluetooth connection.  Win 10 saw the keyboard and I thought that might be the answer but again, Cakewalk didn't show it as a MIDI device.

This article was interesting and I thought I could maybe make it work this info:

No luck so far despite trying various Audio device settings in Preferences.  I'd like to have a USB connection but I'll take anything that will work at this point.  I'm heading off in about two weeks for a long trip and have to decide quickly whether to return this keyboard or somehow make it work for the journey.

Thanks for any thoughts on any of this.

PS:

msmcleod - You always seem to know the answer to every problem with Sonar!  I'm guessing you'll know the answer to this problem as well.  You've been a great resource over the years!

Go into Device manager and see what it says there. Should be under Game Controller etc. 

Open the tab ( properties?) and see what the driver tab says. 
Generally If the manufacturer doesn’t have a Midi driver then Windows uses its generic midi driver. Make sure it says as such. 
Then generally Cakewalk recognizes that driver and will list it in Preferences/ Midi/Devices. 

If it isn’t listed myself I’d get my money back as it is sort of par for the course with this type of consumer devices. 

I just saw a nice small 21 ? note M Audio keyboard I was tempted to buy for both travel and to use at gigs for playing simple little parts live while still holding my guitar. 
I think wanting 88 keys is sort of out of the question for small and portable. 

Edited by John Vere

It does show up in the Device Manager:

image.thumb.png.53aeaa0e8318b411212c17196d37cab1.png

image.png.574cd5ad73d2fe269a0f6c87aede9273.png

image.png.a61684cef2b1e850b743972a787b209b.png

But Cakewalk doesn't show it as an available MIDI device:

image.thumb.png.74afcb4c0a02052c6a550a0898c823dc.png

image.thumb.png.3972b35342a6a424949c2e7ba0ed5c74.png

Is there anything else I could change before I give up and return the keyboard.  I'd much rather get it working than start again.  It's got 61 keys and folds so it's perfect for my needs.  I'm actually surprised it didn't just plug and play.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Sven said:

It does show up in the Device Manager . . . 

image.png.574cd5ad73d2fe269a0f6c87aede9273.png

But Cakewalk doesn't show it as an available MIDI device . . . .

Is there anything else I could change before I give up and return the keyboard.  I'd much rather get it working than start again.  It's got 61 keys and folds so it's perfect for my needs.  I'm actually surprised it didn't just plug and play.

Thanks.

Long shot idea: If Preferences > MIDI >  Playback & Recording > Driver Mode is MME, without a project loaded try changing the MIDI Driver Mode to UWP.  I always MME there, but my gear is older. UWP might work because it is a newer product and uses Windows Bluetooth which I assume is also relatively new.  

If that doesn't work, remember to change it back to MME.

Also, I have no experience with Bluetooth MIDI Devices, but if I had one, I would research it to see how it works.  Others here might be able to chime in on these issues.  If so, I defer to their knowledge of BT MIDI devices. 

I think I'm going to give up and return this keyboard to Amazon.  One of the LED lights doesn't work so you can't clearly see program numbers so that's another reason to return it.

I'm running out of time before my 2 month trip so I think I'll have to take a gamble and maybe order this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Weighted-Portable-Electronic-Beginners/dp/B09Y21PWDM?th=1

This looks encouraging:

Connector TypeBluetooth, MIDI USB

Hardware InterfaceBluetooth, USB, HDMI

and this:

🎶【Bluetooth & USB MIDI Function】 The 61 keys foldable keyboard has built in wireless connection, connect with piano games apps such as Garage Band, Perfect Piano and Pop Piano, or online music lessons, Make piano learning more fun. Also you can use the midi keyboard as a speaker. The music midi keyboard allows you to connect computer and other intelligent devices to edit music and create your own music.

Thanks for your help.

7 hours ago, Sven said:

I think I'm going to give up and return this keyboard to Amazon.  One of the LED lights doesn't work so you can't clearly see program numbers so that's another reason to return it.

I'm running out of time before my 2 month trip so I think I'll have to take a gamble and maybe order this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Weighted-Portable-Electronic-Beginners/dp/B09Y21PWDM?th=1

This looks encouraging:

Connector TypeBluetooth, MIDI USB

Hardware InterfaceBluetooth, USB, HDMI

and this:

🎶【Bluetooth & USB MIDI Function】 The 61 keys foldable keyboard has built in wireless connection, connect with piano games apps such as Garage Band, Perfect Piano and Pop Piano, or online music lessons, Make piano learning more fun. Also you can use the midi keyboard as a speaker. The music midi keyboard allows you to connect computer and other intelligent devices to edit music and create your own music.

Thanks for your help.

The rating being only a 4/5 after 81 ratings (my personal standard is a minimum of 4.3/10) scares me and so does this:
ScreenShot02-25-24at09_00AM.JPG.a0e4838fa8de0ffff1cf47ec8d16aab6.JPG

i am running my two 49-key units set one two octaves up and the other one down two octaves to get 98-keys 🙂 and i have two pitch wheels and two mod wheels i can operate (as well as all the split options and keyswitching). and each fits into a standard flat guitar case along with their power supplies, cords, pedal, and some effects...

Edited by Glenn Stanton

Hi gustabo,

Do you know of a better 61 foldable piano choice?  I haven't ordered it yet and it doesn't have to be from Amazon.  The price is right for this on and it's not supposed to replace my studio keyboards as far as quality.  But I would I like to get the best I can for about $150 or less.  I open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Hi.  I didn't realize that 'folding' equaled 'toy'.  I guess nobody's made a professional folding keyboard yet so I'm returning the Finger Dance 61 to Amazon for a full refund and moving on.   My kids have a roll-up keyboard which is a bit of a joke (no velocity) but they enjoy it.  A toy.

I bought a M-Audio Keyrig 49 about twenty years ago and it served me well until I moved on to my M-Audio Keystation 61 MK3 which I've enjoyed using the last couple of years.  I think I'll just order their M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3 and give up on the folding option.  I can throw it in the back of the car and know that I'll be able to record decent demos on the road.

If anyone knows a better choice than the M-Audio model please let me know.  I'm not an expert on keyboards but the M-Audio seems to satisfy my needs.

Thanks again for your help.

i have the Keystation 49 II and it's been reliable over many years and still one of my go-to keyboards. i recently (last year) acquired an NI S49 Pro which is very nice feel and i use it mainly because i can quickly scroll through instruments and patches with the Komplete Kontrol app. but if i was getting a new one, it would like be something like an Akai or similar 49 w/ the pads.

Edited by Glenn Stanton