Quick Howdy, Newbie here, new download and wondering about setting up

Is there a pdf or something I can download to help me get this bad boy set up? I opened it up and was scrolling through the different instruments, But I have no idea how to pull up an instrument without doing all that scrolling. I found the metronome and found how to adjust it and change it's voicings. I'd like to set it up so I can start exploring some recording with it. This thing would take forever just rummaging through to try and make it happen. Can one steer me in the right direction? Thanks in advance, Roger

Welcome Roger , There is a "massive" online documentation file you can download . I'm sure the help menue can lead you to online documentation ,  instead of downloading it . Honestly , I would just google Cakewalk by Bandnlab basics or getting started. There is also a tutorial section on "this" forum you can look through. Several members here do Very helpful Youtube videos for this Daw. Half the time if I Google a question about a technical problem I'm having , it will link me straight to this forum to a post about my problem.  Best of luck ..         mark

• Great Idea 1

Welcome to the forum.
If you can hear the metronome, you've got this thing licked! 😁
Seriously, it is deep program and somewhat complicated for new users, especially if you're not familiar with some of the terms.
Forum member John Vere (AKA Cactus Music) has a series of video tutorials on You Tube, as have many others. There is a Help file with the program and a PDF that can be downloaded from Cakewalk. It's >1600 pages.
Besides learning the program, there is the hardware side of recording and mastering music. If you're serious about this vocation, or avocation, having decent gear will pay off in fewer headaches and better-quality sound.

cakewalkspecs.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tutorials - Cakewalk Discuss | The Official Cakewalk by BandLab Forum

Tutorials - Cakewalk Discuss | The Official Cakewalk by BandLab Forum

Apparently I can't paste a link here.

Edited by 57Gregy
ignorance.
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, I'm digging in and finding this program is what I want but it definitely is gonna take some learning to get up to speed. I know you all are gonna laugh, I've come here after using Audacity as my main DAW.  It's been good at what I use it for but doesn't have what I need to deliver the final product. I'm a singer/songwriter and have been and will probably continue using it in the capacity I've been using it for. I have it on my main desktop and use it now as a simple recorder as I start to write. This way if I do something I like I can return and expand on it, really don't need  any bells or whistles for that. Since I am greener than grass I will have some guest ions from time to time

• Like 1

As others have said there are lots of excellent video tutorials available on YouTube - the links already posted to Creative Sauce's (Mike Enjo) and John Vere's series are a great place to start. Watch these - and watch them again 🙂 - and you'll be well on your way. You'll always find friendly advice here and if you are on Facebook you might want to join this group (full disclosure I am a mod there!) for more friendly CbB related discourse! https://www.facebook.com/groups/4529701167094391  

• Like 1

Well I ran into my first wall. Just to try and test the waters I imported a track I had made of a song on Audacity. I wanted to try and add a drum track, after going to google I found how to add a drum kit. I was able to do that but found that what I really must have wanted must have been a Session drummer. So back to search and find what I thought was a straight forward way of adding one. However following step by step I run into a problem, instruction says" right click in the fx box in the track, and a pop up will say midi effects, slide the cursor to that, and another box will open called cakewalk effects, slide to that and a bigger box will open from that click on session drummer. Session drummer will open." I follow this only to find there after sliding (clicking) that there is no option to select Cakewalk effects. I get "insert Midi" or "bypass FX".  Opening the insert midi tab I get drawn further down the rabbit hole. All I can think it that perhaps the suggested chain to get me to my session drummer has moved. Thoughts?

Session Drummer is an instrument, not a MIDI effect.

Try to create an instrument track & insert SD in that. It will be a combined MIDI track driving the SD.

Your Google response had the nomenclature incorrect. 

Or open the browser [B] and look in the instruments section (little keyboardish icon) for it.

Edited by OutrageProductions

Using the browser (depending on how you have your plugin layout setup)

Untitled.png.d1546f544fff205c64c783219937ed2b.png

or when creating the Instrument track (Right Mouse Button, hereafter RMB) 

2Untitled.png.b831dee11a8aa8327b4dfc563a7fba29.png

3Untitled.png.77eafd8179192e590c9b0d22ace65510.png

It is also possible that you don't have Session Drummer installed as IIRC it was part of a bundle from back in the SONAR dayz. In which case you could try SI-Drum Kit or TTS-1, which also has rudimentary drum kits too.

This video starting at about 1:40 also has another way (using split MIDI/Inst tracks... not my preferred workflow, but...) showing the insert of SI-Drums. 

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Like 1