I m fascinated by idea of Reascripts

satya

Reaper got ReaScripts

Image Line got Flowstone and Patcher

Ableton got Max for Live

Bitwig got The Grid

Waveform also got something like Grid but with plugins

Cubase got nothing but own Every vst license

Cakewalk also got like make your own plugin but why are people not posting it in Deals

I m thinking of switching to Reaper 

17 minutes ago, Patricio Campos said:

If you switch you will not look back

Years ago I tried Reaper and  one thing I absolutely LOVED about it was the was tons of GUIs that are available.  when I demoed it I used the Abbey Road REDD console.  It made me feel like George Martin!  @satya definitely give Reaper a spin.  I think you'll love it.  BUT if you switch you still have to come back here and post deals!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting. Appeals to the programmer side of me.

ReaScript API - Generated by REAPER v7.08

REAPER provides an API (advanced programming interface) for users and third parties to create extended functionality. API functions can be called from a compiled C/C++ dynamic library that is loaded by REAPER, or at run-time by user-created ReaScripts that can be written using REAPER's own editor.

ReaScripts can be written in EEL2, a specialized language that is also used to write JSFX and video effect processors in REAPER; Lua, a popular scripting language; or Python, a widely-used programming language. EEL2 and Lua are embedded within REAPER and require no additional downloads or settings, and provide the most REAPER-specific features. Python must be downloaded and installed separately, and enabled in REAPER preferences. Because Python is harder to integrate with REAPER, some UI features are not available when using Python.

Learn more about ReaScript: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/sdk/reascript/reascript.php.

3 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Interesting. Appeals to the programmer side of me

I saw video of using ChatGPT for making scripts and It supports that ,  I can't find recommendation now

2 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

I have a colleague who uses Reaper. Because it's cheap. And then spends hundreds of dollars on Scripts by nvk, because without those scripts it's not as powerful as he would like it to be. For that money he could have bought Ableton Live in the first place. 😐

Aren't there paid Max for Live scripts? Also are you implying that Reaper isn't powerful without paid scripts? Sure, depending on the music you make, you may need a synth VST (and you could use Vital and Surge is the budget is limited), but scripts? There are more free Reaper scripts that one could possibly have time to go through, not to mention that Chat GPT can write Reaper script code 😃. You certainly don't need Ableton unless you're collaborating with someone who uses Ableton exclusively. Also, not sure how to beat say this but, the insinuation that Reaper users are broke wannabe Ableton users is a bit elitist IMHO

Edited by Milan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

I have a colleague who uses Reaper. Because it's cheap. And then spends hundreds of dollars on Scripts by nvk, because without those scripts it's not as powerful as he would like it to be. For that money he could have bought Ableton Live in the first place. 😐

Live Suite which includes Max is pricey even the upgrade compared to Reaper.

People pay for that stuff instead of taking time to learn it on their own.

The rationale is no different when people buy presets of any plugin. 

8 versions of Reaper is about equal to Live Max upgrade.  

3 hours ago, Milan said:

Aren't there paid Max for Live scripts? Also are you implying that Reaper isn't powerful without paid scripts? Sure, depending on the music you make, you may need a synth VST (and you could use Vital and Surge is the budget is limited), but scripts? There are more free Reaper scripts that one could possibly have time to go through, not to mention that Chat GPT can write Reaper script code 😃. You certainly don't need Ableton unless you're collaborating with someone who uses Ableton exclusively. Also, not sure how to beat say this but, the insinuation that Reaper users are broke wannabe Ableton users is a bit elitist IMHO

Yep. I buy them if they are interesting but there are also numerous free ones.