Learned something new today

I was today years old when, after using 4 monitors for the last 14 years, found out that the combination of the WIN key and the direction arrows on my Querty keyboard will snap an open window to full screen, half screen, or quarter screen of the monitor that they are on. Always snapped them to a corner/side/full with the mouse before. Too kool.

Never too old to discover a new wonder of the world, I guess.

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

sheesh, i thought everyone knew these :P the real fun begins when you fat finger it in lieu of the alt or ctrl keys... let mayhem reign!

Been there, done that. I use a big trackball, so mousing is not stressful on the hand/arm, but still... discovered this one totally by accident.

Windows has a lot of functionality that is baked in that few use or know about. I happened across the CTRL-ALT arrow keys by accident one day on Win7 (screen rotation) and that one would really mess someone up as a "bad keystroke." Those might be disabled by default in Win10 (for good reason), I just tried them and they don't take on my machine, but it was a funny way to screw with people who walked off without locking their laptop way back when.

6 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

I . . . found out that the combination of the WIN key and the direction arrows on my Querty keyboard will snap an open window to full screen, half screen, or quarter screen of the monitor that they are on.

• Maybe it varies from system to system.  I get:
    • using Windows Key + right cursor arrow:
      • Full Right Panel (half screen) on the Monitor it was opened on (or relocated to, if moved manually)
      • Full Left Panel (half screen) on the Other Monitor
      • Reasonably normal size with approximate relative coordinates of the original
        • possibly affected by screen display variation (resolution, scaling) of the Other Monitor
      • Full Right Panel (half screen
      • Full Left Panel (half screen) on the Monitor it was opened on (or relocated to)
      • Reasonably normal size with approximate relative coordinates of the original
        • possibly affected by screen display variation (resolution, scaling) carried over from the Other Monitor
    • Cycled through monitors using calc (each time it gets back to the original monitor, the location is off).

Edited by User 905133

My favourite is Windows/ PrntScn. To take a screenshot of both monitors and it goes directly to a folder in Pictures. Then there’s a lot you can do to it with the Windows picture app.

Before all this taking a screenshot and editing required a lot more moves and using various other apps.  
It’s like using printer/scanners now you just tell Windows to add it to the list and it works. No more installing a printer software and a bunch of useless bloatware. 

• Like 1

Windows has also absorbed some functionality that was previously only available through 3rd party apps. The Snippet tool (Win-Shift-S) is another handy one that people used Snagit for... when you want very precise snippet of what is on the screen.

• Like 2