Audio slide completely ruins arrangement of audio

I don't think I've ever had something so confounding happen in a DAW. If I use "Edit > Select All" and then "Process > Slide...", and then select that I'd like everything to move 1 measure forward, somehow everything moves a different amount and ruins my project. This seems pretty simple - like, if something is starting on Measure 5 Beat 1, it should then be on Measure 6 Beat 1. Nope, it's on Measure 7 Beat 1. And the track next to it moved the correct 1 measure.

What am I missing here? And more importantly, why is this even happening? This is such a basic concept it blows my mind that it doesn't just work as described. 

couple of thoughts - use Ripple Edit (turn on when needed, turn off immediately after), and use the project > insert time/measures as i think there are more options there. remember to turn off Ripple Edit after you make the move otherwise you can really skew the project...

as to why "slide" is misbehaving, no idea, never use it.

• Like 4

You're using the wrong command.

Project->Insert Time will do what you want.

Process->Slide does something different... kinda complicated to explain, but it's all to do with closing gaps:

- If you slide a clip by one measure and there's more than a measure gap between the clip you're moving and the next clip,  the next clip will remain where it is. 

- If you slide a clip by one measure and there's less than a measure gap between the clip you're moving and the next clip,  the next clip will move by the the sliding amount minus the original gap.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Or with Ripple edit on - use CTRL A to select all - snap on - drag project to desired location. This will also move automation, tempo map , arranger etc. Im not sure using insert measure does  all that.
As said always remember to turn ripple editing off. 

Ripple Editing is global to many music and video editing apps. It’s a lifesaver for inserting or removing segments of any multi track projects. But selecting all is important for it to work. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Those are all good points/suggestions, but if the OP started with Select All and the meter is contant, that should have worked as expected, at least with regard to clip start times. Would probably need to see the specific project first hand to understand if the result was due to user error, faulty expectations for the circumstances, or an actual bug.

• Great Idea 1

14 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Those are all good points/suggestions, but if the OP started with Select All and the meter is contant, that should have worked as expected, at least with regard to clip start times. Would probably need to see the specific project first hand to understand if the result was due to user error, faulty expectations for the circumstances, or an actual bug.

Mark explained above why this might not work

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Mark explained above why this might not work

I'm actually not sure what scenario Mark is describing.  I use slide a lot, and have never seen that behavior when sliding an entire track or project, and can't reproduce it now.

The only time I've seen anything like that is when moving/sliding a partial selection with  Slide Over Old to Make Room set in Drag  and Drop options which has always been buggy (later material sometimes moves later than necessary or actually moves earlier when you're moving something ahead of it later). But that's all moot if you're starting with Select All.

7 hours ago, David Baay said:

I'm actually not sure what scenario Mark is describing.  I use slide a lot, and have never seen that behavior when sliding an entire track or project, and can't reproduce it now.

The only time I've seen anything like that is when moving/sliding a partial selection with  Slide Over Old to Make Room set in Drag  and Drop options which has always been buggy (later material sometimes moves later than necessary or actually moves earlier when you're moving something ahead of it later). But that's all moot if you're starting with Select All.

It all depends on which order the clips are processed.  I've not looked at that code in a while, so I can't recall what determines the order.

But say you have two clips right next to each other, and the first clip is processed first.  This will result in the second clip being moved to accommodate the first, then the next clip moved again because it's part of the selection.

If however the second clip was moved first, both would move as expected.

As I said, it's the wrong tool for the job when dealing with the entire project.  Insert Time is the one to use in this scenario, as it's a far simpler command and far less complicated than either ripple edit or slide (therefore much less chance of anything going wrong).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, msmcleod said:

But say you have two clips right next to each other, and the first clip is processed first.  This will result in the second clip being moved to accommodate the first, then the next clip moved again because it's part of the selection.

If however the second clip was moved first, both would move as expected.

I  still think that's only if the selection is partial, and your have Slide over to Make Room set in Drag and Dorp options.  And a selection always moves as a contiguous block; clips within the selection should never move relative to eachother.

8 hours ago, msmcleod said:

As I said, it's the wrong tool for the job when dealing with the entire project.

I don't disagree with that, but it should have worked as expected based on my experience. And I'd be really curious to see and understand the scenario in which it doesn't.