Building a DAW- which componets ?

Pragi

Hello everyone,

I have to build a new machine because of the crash of my PC in December.

I require a silent box that can handle up to 75 tracks per project without requiring heavy  vst synth loads (2 at a time).

Recording a maximum of 4 tracks in real time. .

The audio interface is a RME Raydat. 

Do the RME Raydat and the Asus Tuf  motherboard have compatibility ?

Do you have any suggestions or recommendations?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Processor:

Intel Core i7-12700K, 12 Core (8+4), 8x 3600 MHz 
Intel U/HD-video OnChip

Cooler:

Deepcool Gammaxx C40 v2 

Motherboard

ASUS TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFI 

Ram

32 GB DDR5-RAM, Dual Channel (2x 16 GB), 5600 MHz*, Kingston Fury Beast 

3,5" 10in1 HighSpeed CardReader / 1x USB 3.2 Gen 1 

1        x       500 GB NVM SSD

2        x 1 000 GB  Samsung SSD ´s for Samples and Tracks

Box

be quiet! Pure Base 600 silver

Power:

650 W be quiet! System Power 10, 89 % Effizienz, 80 Plus Bronze 

Windows 11 Home, 64 Bit

Edited by Pragi

• Pragi changed the title to Building a DAW- which componets ?
1 hour ago, wiviv said:

Hi. Just about to build my first DAW, im going pc based and would just like a bit of help as to what sort of components to use. ie are certain motherboards, CPU's and RAM better for DAW's than others? i heard intel motherboards were the way to go. im computer savvy so building it isnt an issue, just need the advice Thanx

Hi, 

My build is based on the configuration above.

There are a few points worth mentioning.

-If you're constructing a DAW with a good video card, the Be Quiet 550 power adapter may not be sufficiently powerful.

-To obtain a Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) lightning port, a Thunderbolt card is necessary.

In essence, the AMD Ryzen Processor is excellent.

I like to get an Intel processor because the AMD path (DDR 4 RAM and other  ports ) is not future-oriented, but I'm uncertain about that.

Your system will also determine which audio interface you want.

Jim Roseberry's recommendation seems to be a good option because he frequently provides excellent tips when he is available.

Edited by Pragi

For your specs, I'd say to go a little higher on the power supply. I don't think they cost that much more and it just makes life easier should you add a video card.

I'd say 64GB of memory. If that isn't possible, just get 2 16GBs now, and 2 later.

NO on win11 HOME. Home additions are much more restrictive. Get PRO!

Also, do you have current generation nvme drives? They are cheap and give you plenty of overhead..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ HockeyJX

the power supply has been upgraded to 650 watts,.

I neglected to inform you that I will receive a 500 GB NVMe drive. My old box contains 2 1TB Samsungs, one for samples and the other for songs/projects which I want to build in the new box .

I appreciate your recommendations.

Edited by Pragi
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

someone mentioned a PCI-e x16 riser card where you could install dual m.2 drives, so if looking to create RAID or simply expand storage maybe look for that as well...

Good point,  thank you.

Yes I just did my own build and used  two 1 TB m2 drives one is OS and other is working drive. 
I pulled my 2 SSD drives from old machine and put those in so everything important was now in new machine. Those are then back up drives. 
Definitely W11 pro. I bought it from PC world for $80.   It was only $15 more than Home.
RAM is cheap. Go for 64GB.  

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's time!

At the  last week I finally had all the parts together and put the computer together.
Most of the software has been installed by me in the last two days and now it's time
conducting initial sound checks and checking latency, etc.

So far, the computer's speed and quietness have made me extremely happy (no background noise).

The RME Raydat began working seamlessly as soon as it was placed in the correct PCIE slot.

@John
The small version of Windows 11 Home Edition has been working out wonderfully for me,

especially since it takes up less storage space.

I appreciate your suggestions regardless. The 32 GB of RAM seems to be sufficient for my computer.

I want to express my gratitude to everyone for their valuable tips.😄

Edited by Pragi
  • Like 3