AI DAWs .. yes its a thing

aidan o driscoll

9 hours ago, jngnz said:

Please just shoot me to Mars.

I react also very sensitive to what is sold as AI nowadays!

Most things that are called AI or the like suffer from the limited brain of its creators! It happens so often that they forget about a lot of situations in real life where it should behave differently and this leads to a lot of annoyance or even disaster! Don't ask me about cars!

• Like 1

AI definitely can be very useful in any DAW, especially for cleaning up audio.  I would expect in less than a decade from now, AI functionality will be part of every major DAW.

The reaction to AI today reminds me a lot of the reaction people had to the Web in the early days (1995 -2000). It was misunderstood, overhyped by some, and written off by many. AI is a tool and it absolutely has great application for audio, as many of us have experienced for years using Izotope and Sonible tools.  Looking at the landing page for this DAW, it seems pretty reasonable.  Hopefully, more DAWS will be incorporating AI soon.  I could imagine a great deal of sound design possibilities for AI for synthesis and samplers. 

FTR,  I'm fresh off of writing an article on AI, so I've recently been immersed in the topic. AI has become commonplace in the medical world  and business world -- in the latter, especially for its use in sales, customer support,  data analytics, marketing, communications and BI.  In the medical world, it's making a huge difference,  especially in areas like radiology and making a big difference in developing nations. I bet Fleer could tell us much about how beneficial AI can be in the area of law. 

Consequently,  AI's use in DAWs seems like a pretty obvious and simple application of AI by comparison. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

AI definitely can be very useful in any DAW, especially for cleaning up audio.  I would expect in less than a decade from now, AI functionality will be part of every major DAW.

The reaction to AI today reminds me a lot of the reaction people had to the Web in the early days (1995 -2000). It was misunderstood, overhyped by some, and written off by many. AI is a tool and it absolutely has great application for audio, as many of us have experienced for years using Izotope and Sonible tools. 

Personally, I'm pretty excited about AI.  IMHO It's here to stay so we may as well start making our peace with it.  In terms of its application in music I have some plugins that already use a form of AI.  When I use them I find they sometimes make suggestions that are fairly strange and not at all useful, but I also find there are times they make better moves than I would have (which, given my skill level, isn't hard to do) and really improve things.  As this stage in the game I'm seeing AI plugins/DAWS/composition software etc. as offering a starting place and I can either take its suggestions or not.  For me, it's just another tool that sometimes does better than I could and sometimes doesn't.  I'm waiting to see what's next.

• Like 3