Life/Afterlife (instrumental)

Larry T.

Hi all. This songs has two parts. The parts are the same song presented two different ways, each about 3 minutes long.

The first part is "Life" which is a straight forward, band-type version. I used Arturia's new, free VST (until January 4, 2024 I think) Efx Refract on the bass and the electric piano.  The second part is called "Afterlife" which I posted here a few months ago as a piece called "Life" (ridiculous, I know....sorry....) which is just a syncopated, improvised on the piano roll piano and percussion version. Happy New Year!🎶🎶🎶🎶

link: https://larryterrano.bandcamp.com/track/life-afterlife

Landscape_in_Second_Life 640x391.jpg

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab

pc: windows 10, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8GB ram, acoustic guitars, DI bass, arturia minilab mkII, arturia analog lab 5 lite, SI Drums by CbB effects

reference speakers: M-Audio BX3

Edited by Larry T.
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Larry T. said:

Hi all. This songs has two parts. The parts are the same song presented two different ways, each about 3 minutes long.

The first part is "Life" which is a straight forward, band-type version. I used Arturia's new, free VST (until January 4, 2024 I think) Efx Refract on the bass and the electric piano.  The second part is called "Afterlife" which I posted here a few months ago as a piece called "Life" (ridiculous, I know....sorry....) which is just a syncopated, improvised on the piano roll piano and percussion version. Happy New Year!🎶🎶🎶🎶

link: https://larryterrano.bandcamp.com/track/life-afterlife

Landscape_in_Second_Life 640x391.jpg

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab

pc: windows 10, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8GB ram, acoustic guitars, DI bass, arturia minilab mkII, arturia analog lab 5 lite, SI Drums by CbB effects

reference speakers: M-Audio BX3

Nice work Larry, very relaxing vibe. I just downloaded that EFX Refract also, looking forward to putting it through the paces!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ross Smithe said:

Nice work Larry, very relaxing vibe. I just downloaded that EFX Refract also, looking forward to putting it through the paces!

Thanks Ross. The Efx Refract is pretty amazing. The huge amount of choices available it gives the user to shape the sounds is really nice.

Yes relaxing and pleasant experiment with 2 parts. I like the way you have the drums/percussives distant in the mix and panning around. Maybe not too ridiculous, life-afterlife-former life some who believe in reincarnation can relate to that sequence. Happy New Year to you too

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2024 at 5:09 PM, treesha said:

Yes relaxing and pleasant experiment with 2 parts. I like the way you have the drums/percussives distant in the mix and panning around. Maybe not too ridiculous, life-afterlife-former life some who believe in reincarnation can relate to that sequence. Happy New Year to you too

Thanks Treesha. The percussion panning is from  a Cakewalk Style Dial FX called Depth. You access it via Pro Channel, Insert Module, Style Dial FX, Depth. Word of caution when using it though, since I only have 8GB of ram whenever I load that FX I get an audio issue (short, loud clipping on the Master bus and whatever track module that it's installed in). At least, that's what i think is causing the audio issue. 

The afterlife question....who knows???? I wouldn't bet on it but have no definitive proof it does or doesn't exist. Cheers!!!!

Edited by Larry T.

Hi Larry, this is a very nice, mellow vibe that you've created.  It flows like a river!  I just picked up Refract, myself, and I'm using it in a new piece.  You showed me how it can add depth to a bass line, and I'm impressed!  Keep up your good work in the new year!!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Hi Larry, this is a very nice, mellow vibe that you've created.  It flows like a river!  I just picked up Refract, myself, and I'm using it in a new piece.  You showed me how it can add depth to a bass line, and I'm impressed!  Keep up your good work in the new year!!

Thanks Lynn. I used the Harmonizer setting and played with the Efx Refract adjustments awhile on the bass track. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Larry, there are some very engaging patterns in here, esp in the first part.  That little percussive bit works really well (maybe a bit overused, tho)
Nice job
-Bjorn

Thanks Bjorn. This is a song I wrote back in the early eighties. It's in three different keys so it gives the piece some variety. Cheers.