Pending new releases and existing issues. RESOLVED

Chris Ward

Update:     The Beta version they are suggesting I try is for the NEXT release of Superplate and is not a Beta of the current version I'm using.  I think I shall just wait for the official release of the next version as I don't want to upset my install of EffectsRack.

Cheers

Update : Disappointing response from Soundtoys regarding refund -

Regarding returns, as per our EULA:

You may obtain a refund within 14 days if purchased at the Soundtoys online store, by contacting support@soundtoys.com.

Since your last purchase was 54 days ago, no you will not be able to return this product.

You can also try downgrading to the previous versions of your OS and DAW that your plug-in previously worked on.

You can also try using an officially supported host DAW that we guarantee our software will be compatible with:

I cannot offer a timeline for our next release, though it's looking like it should be pretty soon.

And there was no response as to why I cannot install the VST2 version as much as I have tried.

Cheers.

14 hours ago, Chris Ward said:

You can also try downgrading to the previous versions of your OS and DAW that your plug-in previously worked on.

HA HA HA! yeah i'm going to reinstall an older OS and DAW in order to work around the bad plugin coding the company did...

i would use the word f*cktards but that's not fair to the really nice f*cktards in the world. so. after buying their whole suite, basically i've mothballed them and in projects i had in progress, i replaced them with virtually no audible differences. so SoundToys will no longer be a part of my projects going forward.

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

On 1/7/2024 at 10:01 AM, Chris Ward said:

That mention in the past did not go past me and I am double checking right now what new plugins I may have bought since last year. Not many is my reckoning. Nectar 3 upgraded to Nectar 4; Waves Silk Vocal; Soundtoys Superplate. As I only have 11x plugins in my current project, that investigation won't take long.

Unfortunately, Cakewalk doesn't have a performance monitor that drills into plugin performance (it has been feature requested more than once), and threads on these topics hit quite often. Nectar 3/4 both can have a significant CPU/latency hit, with Nectar 3 being (far) worse. The "A Bit of Everything" preset inserts 18% CPU usage and 195.6ms of latency (one instance) with Nectar 3, and 14% CPU/16ms with Nectar 4 (latency is far better, but still).

That said, when you have a slew of plugins, trial-and-error troubleshooting can be a royal PITA. Being in a situation where you do not know whether the issue is the machine or plugins (much more likely), a DEMO of Studio One will give you insight into plugin issues immediately. Simply load a couple loops into a few tracks, drop in plugins you are using often, then "View->Performance Monitor" and check "Show devices." You will be able to see the performance of each plugin (similar to this), and some of them may totally shock you by what they are doing to your system. You really need to have a firm grasp of what plugins are problem children before you go tearing into a system looking for issues (that may or may not be relevant).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mettelus said:

You really need to have a firm grasp of what plugins are problem children before you go tearing into a system looking for issues (that may or may not be relevant).

yep, this ^^^^

my desktop was stable for 5 years before i bought the Abbey Road Chambers plugin. put it into a known working project. boom. stuttering, clicks, performance meters in the red... didn't think for a second it was my stable system since when i unloaded the plugin and used the Abbey Road Plate reverb, it was all fine. tried again on another project same issue... 🙂 so, in general, if my system is stable, and i introduce a new or updated plugin and suddenly things are not right - i pretty much always assume its the plugin.

so far, out of 100 tries: bad plugins: 0, stable system 100.  😉

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mettelus said:

DEMO of Studio One will

I actually was just looking the other day as I was doing my own troubleshooting. Seems they have gone subscription and as far as I could tell there’s no demo anymore. 
Actually I couldn’t find much in the way of usable demos or free DAW’s. Cakewalk is still by far the only real DAW that is easily available.  And Reaper. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2

There used to be a free version, I think called Studio One Prime, and that technically doesn't exist anymore. But there is a time limited demo of the pro version available. When the time is up (I think 15 days) it reverts to the equivalent of the Prime version, which does not support third party VSTs. So you have to get your plugin testing done in the 15 day period.

• Thanks 1

@mettelus  @Glenn Stanton  @John Vere  @ptheisen    Gentlemen, thankyou for your continued help !!!

My PC Engineer is coming tomorrow to collect my rig and make a backup of my 'C' drive. He will then install a new Samsung 990 Pro NVMe M2 SSD. I have already used Samsung Magician (thanks guys) to ascertain that my existing 'C' Drive is "good". When I get it back on Friday, I will start the task of reinstalling all of my imaging apps and others to the new SSD, leaving ONLY the OS, CbB and Band in a Box on my 'C' as advised. The new SSD will take my plugins and samples, whilst my internal 2Tb Hard Disc will accomodate all my imaging and other apps.

Whilst making these changes, I will give great attention also, to going through once again all the helpful fine tuning tips that you have given me in this thread so that I move forward as 'clean' as possible. I will even try installing the VST2 version of Superplate again.

I will then report back and hopefully conclude this long thread.

Cheers.

44 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Seems they have gone subscription and as far as I could tell there’s no demo anymore.

Are you saying the "Free 30-Day Pro Demo" link on this page doesn't work? The demo has always been for the Pro version AFAIK, but is a one-time deal like most software out there. I only mentioned it because the "Performance Monitor" is one of the easiest and "free" ones (if you have never run the demo before). There have been tools over the years done for SONAR, but they require multiple inserts rather than a "dashboard" view to let you see what all the guts are doing in a few seconds.

1 hour ago, mettelus said:

"Free 30-Day Pro Demo" link on this page

That's the one! That should work, if you haven't demoed version 6 or higher before on the computer in question. Looks like I was wrong about the 15 days,  it is 30, even better. It's a very handy tool built right into the DAW. One of quite a few little ways that Studio One is ahead of Cakewalk/Sonar.

ME :       "You haven't answered why the VST2 version is not installing."

THEM :   "There's no difference between VST2 and VST3 versions, they're just different formats of the identical sound. Because you're using an unsupported host DAW, I'm not sure I can be all that helpful with your DAW issues. I'd suggest reaching out to BandLab instead for issues with your DAW."

If only they knew !!!!!!!    (I underlined the "different formats").   Why can't they just tell me why the VST2 version isn't installing ??!!!   What an incredible brush off. They're now clearly saying it's a DAW issue.

Edited by Chris Ward

1 hour ago, Chris Ward said:

ME :       "You haven't answered why the VST2 version is not installing."

THEM :   "There's no difference between VST2 and VST3 versions, they're just different formats of the identical sound. Because you're using an unsupported host DAW, I'm not sure I can be all that helpful with your DAW issues. I'd suggest reaching out to BandLab instead for issues with your DAW."

If only they knew !!!!!!!    (I underlined the "different formats").   Why can't they just tell me why the VST2 version isn't installing ??!!!   What an incredible brush off. They're now clearly saying it's a DAW issue.

At this point I would just cut my losses.

There are plenty of other companies who's offerings work just fine.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, John Vere said:

Seems they have gone subscription . 

No, they haven't gone subscription, well not in the sense of subscription only, perpetual licenses are still available as they always have been.

2 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

At this point I would just cut my losses.

There are plenty of other companies who's offerings work just fine.

That’s always my solution. Hundreds of free or cheap plugins out there. But sometimes the cheap ones can also cause grief. Example I only own Airs collection because it was cheap . 

I was fighting a battle with Air but my battle wasn’t exactly Air it was that they chose iLok as an authorization server. ILok just cost me 3 days of headaches. They finally fixed it but it was not very straight forward process. 
So that’s the last money anything that says ILok required will see from me. Not worth it.  

• Like 2

@mettelus @heath row

All I know is I explored the whole web site , I used the search function using demo and Free trail. I used Google. If it’s that elusive it’s just not going to be found. 

And the only option to get at the download is to agree to a monthly payment,  I call that a subscription. Possibly people who always had the software can still have a lifetime license. 
Back when Gibson pulled the plug on Sonar I installed the free version which was easily found and installed. 

what's weird is i know some folks have heinous problems with iLok. for me, after nearly 20 years? the only problem i had was a number of years ago having a nearby lightning strike fry my iLok. lost a few licenses but managed to recover after much finagling with the vendors (and i could re-register on iLok). but the iLok (for me at least) has been some of the least troubling aspects in modern computing and licensing...

but it's been indispensable for traveling and switching between systems. same for the Waves key (and i recommend a super premium USB key if you do that)...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

@mettelus @heath row

All I know is I explored the whole web site , I used the search function using demo and Free trail. I used Google. If it’s that elusive it’s just not going to be found. 

And the only option to get at the download is to agree to a monthly payment,  I call that a subscription. Possibly people who always had the software can still have a lifetime license. 
Back when Gibson pulled the plug on Sonar I installed the free version which was easily found and installed. 

The link to the download was provided a few posts earlier. Even without that, I was just now able to get there doing a google search for "presonus studio one demo", so it can easily be found.

You definitely do not have to agree to a monthly payment to get at the download. You do have to set up an account with Presonus, because they issue a serial number for the demo, which would become your serial number for the purchased product if you subsequently decide to do that. And you can definitely purchase a permanent license (no subscription) if you so choose.

I know all of the above to be true because I have recently done it, as I'm sure a number of others have as well.

• Like 2

i got a positive grid Spark mini for a birthday present and it included the license for Prime OEM. of course this is a limited version. i don't see any option to view plugin details so i'll assume it's only in the Pro version. and for $399 i can upgrade to the Pro version 🙂 or use the limited time Pro demo... or use my paid version of Plugin Doctor...

3 hours ago, ptheisen said:

The link to the download was provided a few posts earlier. Even without that, I was just now able to get there doing a google search for "presonus studio one demo", so it can easily be found.

The other thing that came to mind is @John Vere may have already claimed the demo in the past (even V6 has been out almost a year and a half now). If you already claimed the demo previously (whether you used it or not), as soon as you log into your account, your only option would be to buy it. IIRC, just by logging into your account, there should be records of everything downloaded for that account (including trials).

I do, however, find this odd propensity to promulgate disinformation rather entertaining. It seems to rear its ugly head any time "self-interest" is involved.

5 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

what's weird is i know some folks have heinous problems with iLok. for me, after nearly 20 years? the only problem i had was a number of years ago having a nearby lightning strike fry my iLok. lost a few licenses but managed to recover after much finagling with the vendors (and i could re-register on iLok). but the iLok (for me at least) has been some of the least troubling aspects in modern computing and licensing...

but it's been indispensable for traveling and switching between systems. same for the Waves key (and i recommend a super premium USB key if you do that)...

Yeah after getting over my initial problem with Pace that led to a many year ban on all things iLok/Pace, I got enticed back, and now I wouldn't want to be without it, zero problems for 5 years or so, I did purchase that Zero downtime thingamajig I think it's called just in case, but it's not been needed. Don't even know it's there apart from the excellent plugins I would otherwise not be able to use.

• Like 1

• Chris Ward changed the title to Pending new releases and existing issues. RESOLVED