Hammer + Waves Entire Collection for $202

cclarry

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

the 145B (a Wurli)

Oh boy, that thing sounds amazing. I think I have to get it.

edit: the only thing holding me back is it apparently being a plugin instead of a Kontakt library? For some odd reason? How often do they update?

edit #2: never mind, it says Kontakt under... system requirements, for some reason

Edited by jngnz
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, jngnz said:

Oh boy, that thing sounds amazing. I think I have to get it.

edit: the only thing holding me back is it apparently being a plugin instead of a Kontakt library? For some odd reason? How often do they update?

edit #2: never mind, it says Kontakt under... system requirements, for some reason

It's a KONTAKT Player library [edit: I originally mistakenly wrote that the library required the full version of KONTAKT]. I realize that it's confusing that they call it an expansion. It doesn't require anything else. I'm in love with Wurlis and this is the only 145B I own. It was recommended to me by two people in this forum, I think it was Chris R and Bad Penguin. I did a thread about my love of Wurlis and both of them strongly recommended this library and the developer and it was a fantastic recommendation. They have a 200A that also sounds great and it comes with a Rhodes that sounds great. The only reason I didn't get that is that I already have a 200A (from e-instruments) that is really versatile. But I think Skybox's 200A sounds superb. If I wasn't watching my spending, I would definitely grab this offer.  While the 200A is my only library from Skybox, it's so well done that it reflects a developer that does exceptional work, IMO.  The UI allows you to easily create your own presets. The 145B is one of my favorite electric piano sample libraries. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

It's a regular KONTAKT library -- for the full version. I realize that it's confusing that they call it an expansion. It doesn't require anything else. I'm in love with Wurlis and this is the only 145B I own. It was recommended to me by two people in this forum, I think it was Chris R and Bad Penguin. I did a thread about my love of Wurlis and both of them strongly recommended this library and the developer and it was a fantastic recommendation. They have a 200A that also sounds great and it comes with a Rhodes that sounds great. The only reason I didn't get that is that I already have a 200A (from e-instruments) that is really versatile. But I think Skybox's 200A sounds superb. If I wasn't watching my spending, I would definitely grab this offer.  While the 200A is my only library from Skybox, it's so well done that it reflects a developer that does exceptional work, IMO.  The UI allows you to easily create your own presets. The 145B is one of my favorite electric piano sample libraries. 

It's Kontakt Player, actually.

Installed!

• Like 2

On 12/22/2023 at 10:49 PM, PavlovsCat said:

Be sure to post your thoughts after checking it out. 

I've done some noodling now.

It's a nice library that complements Broken Wurli quite well for a slightly different flavour. However, it's not quite at the same level. Broken Wurli feels organic to the point of me getting teary-eyed while playing it (I love few things more than the Wurli sound). The Skybox 145B is "just" a good, possibly even great sample library. But everything Soniccouture is next level. Going back and forth between the two is like playing the real thing vs. playing a... well, sample library.

Judging by the demos on the Skybox website, the same thing seems to be true for the 200A and Suitcase as well, so I'll pass on getting more Skybox products.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jngnz said:

It's a nice library that complements Broken Wurli quite well for a slightly different flavour. However, it's not quite at the same level. Broken Wurli feels organic to the point of me getting teary-eyed while playing it (I love few things more than the Wurli sound). The Skybox 145B is "just" a good, possibly even great sample library. But everything Soniccouture is next level. Going back and forth between the two is like playing the real thing vs. playing a... well, sample library.

Judging by the demos on the Skybox website, the same thing seems to be true for the 200A and Suitcase as well, so I'll pass on getting more Skybox products.

I love the soniccouture suitcase, but prefer the skybox wurlis!

But the uad rhodes beats even the sc for me!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jngnz said:

Thanks for that review.  Damn, your praise of Broken Wurli really makes me want to pick it up. Once again,  I appreciate the raw honesty of your posts. Knowing how critical you are makes it all the more compelling when you praise a sample library like that. It was easily more than 10 years ago I spent maybe a couple of hours giving James Thompson (a co founder of SonicCouture) marketing and branding advice and was fascinated to learn his professional story. He and his business partner worked at Yamaha doing sampling. So these guys have a serious background in this business and know what their doing.

I really should have purchased Broken Wurli long ago, but I overlooked it because the name lead me to believe it wasn't about sampling a functional Wurli. But your words intrigued me to the point I'm almost certain to pick it up at some point to find out for myself. I haven't always agreed with the libraries you don't like, but I have found that when you praise a library that I have yet to disagree and I suspect that would once again be the case.