Migraine from Cakewalk to Studio one

Pragi

I did migrate from Sonar on PC to Logic on Mac back in 2010 - it wasn't so bad because I wasn't in the middle of a project, and I'd been using Logic on the PC for years and really loved the software. I simply began working on new material and only eventually started importing old projects during down times or when I didn't have any new idea to work on.

I still have an old laptop running XP and Sonar 8.5 in the other room, with all my pre-2010 projects, and every now and then, I pick one up, transfer the audio to a flash drive and rebuild it in Logic. Actually, I was just working on one tonight. Funnily enough, there was an issue with one of the tracks which had been created using Dimension Pro which is no longer available, so I ended up using an old MacBook Pro running Logic 9 and Dimension to re-record that one track, bounce it, and transfer it to my new DAW.

I'm glad I have the option to load the old projects even if I have everything bounced because it allows me to see what plug-ins and instruments/presets I was using, in case I need to try to replicate something. I'm guessing some day I'll no longer have that option, though. And that'll suck. I am still fond of the old Sonar, 've written so much music in it...

Edited by Rain

406595442_1111088790272392_8793532540514117855_n.thumb.jpg.ede96a0e12a4df5df8488820e3f6f286.jpg

Took the picture earlier this week when it actually saved the day. An old Alienware laptop a friend gave me. That thing is a tank. 

In terms of lifespan, it's outlived every PC I've ever owned. I can still load project, but I can't work with it, and if it's on for a while, the audio drivers fail (at least that's what I think that's what it is) and I need to be reboot it. 

If I could run Sonar 8.5 on a recent version of Windows that supports the plug-ins I use, I'd have no problem with it. I believe it's still one of the finest DAW softwares ever.

I know you guys hate Apple, but by comparison, I recorded this thing on my old 2010 MacBook tonight because I wanted to spend time downstairs by the fireplace and I wanted to mess with Dimension - no interface, just a USB keyboard. Plug it in and move on.

Remember how we used to have to reboot every time we hooked a new device and how we struggled with latency back in the early 2000's?  Now you just hook up your device to your laptop and you're all set, and latency isn't even an issue, even with the built in interface. 

It's not mixed or anything, just piled up tracks - I don't have monitors downstairs. And my cat insisted on assisting, so the camera moves around a bit... 

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

I don't hate Apple but, as a tech guy, they're a bitch to work with!  Many of the lower level type things we need to do are not available "to protect the user!" plus the operating systems auto-expire requiring you to buy the latest OS to keep going.  Then there's the extra costs just because.

They are shiny though... 😁

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

@Rain 

When Emagic stopped supporting Windows, I did migrate from Logic to Sonar,

so exactly the opposite way around.

Really, twenty years ago?

I find myself in an odd situation as my box, an Intel I 3770 that has been reliable for ten years, died ten days ago at an inexplicable time:

I enjoy making music the most during the three-month period between December and February because I don't have to work as much.

On an outdated Fijitsu Siemens Intel I 5, I have to install a variety of software instead of recording guitars, arranging, and mixing.

Oh man, I was able to load one of the four new songs yesterday, however because of my bad graphic card, Sample Tank and Kontakt 7 won't open properly.

However, at least I can record the tunes to stereo tracks and continue, albeit without comping.

I have the ability to purchase a new audio PC at the start of February.

Who knows what this is beneficial for?

Is it possible that in February the new Sonar will be ready?

Moving to a different box or DAW bothers me, as I find it to be inconvenient every time.

Edited by Pragi

The hardest part of switching from Sonar to Studio One is still, to this day, the visual aspect of S1. I simply hate how S1 looks and the convoluted way they force you to change the limited color scheme.

I'll trade that though for the stability. I can count on 3 fingers of 1 hand the number of times S1 has crashed. And at no time did I ever lose any tracks.

I remember at one point I had set X2 to auto save ever 5 minutes iirc?

It's not that way now with CbB, but back when I switched, losing the visuals was well worth the gained stability.

I don't know how in depth of a Sonar/CbB user you are, but in the end I found S1 to be far easier to use, once I learned where everything was laid out. Then I added custom macros, and well, I'm happy. And I'm not a happy person by nature. 😁🤪

5 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

I don't know how in depth of a Sonar/CbB user you are, but in the end I found S1 to be far easier to use ...

I'm sure I could fly around CbB just as fast as I always could if I started using it regularly again. I didn't mean that as a slam on CbB. I guess a better more PC way of saying what I did would be to say I found the transition easy and I had no trouble with the differences in workflow. But yeah, it is always difficult switching software we're so intimately involved with. 👍

• Thanks 1