Side-by-Side Installing SONAR and BandLab Cakewalk?

orcmid

Question

I have a legacy (and life-time) SONAR Producer setup.   I would also like to do tutorial and demonstration work for users of BandLab Cakewalk, the free version.  Is it possible to install that side-by-side with my SONAR installation?

If not, do I have to use a completely different computer to avoid conflicts, especially over registry settings.

13 answers to this question

@orcmid as promidi indicated above Sonar and Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB) will peacefully co-exist.
In fact, I would guess that the majority of long time forum members have at least two versions
of Sonar side by side with CbB.
for example on my office rig l have:
Sonar 8.5
Sonar X1
Sonar X2
Sonar X3
Sonar Platinum

CbB (Cakewalk by Bandlab)
all existing side by side and fully functionable...

t

I meant tutorials I would produce.  

However, if CbB is being discontinued, I will continue to use my SONAR Platinum so long as legacy files are available.  

My follow-on question is, what will be a free version from BandLab, if CbB is now discontinued?  I would point novices to that when the time comes.

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

FYI. Cakewalk by Bandlab has just been discontinued so tutorials will be obsolete very soon. Sonar will be similar but the whole look will change so CbB videos will  look wrong to new users. 

Not yet it hasn't.  The download links for Cakewalk by BandLab on www.cakewalk.com are still active.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Not yet it hasn't.  The download links for Cakewalk by BandLab on www.cakewalk.com are still active.

Thanks for clarifying that.

I have a hunch that, even after Sonar has been publicly released,  Cakewalk by BandLab 2023.09 Build 75 will still be available (and activatable) for some time yet to allow users time to transition to the new Sonar.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Vere said:

FYI. Cakewalk by Bandlab has just been discontinued so tutorials will be obsolete very soon. Sonar will be similar but the whole look will change so CbB videos will  look wrong to new users. 

Your statement about the whole look changing is incorrect, if you read what is said on the website it clearly indicates the only change is the way the GUI is generated. 

As for tutorial videos any videos from the X series onwards are still useful today.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John Vere said:

tutorials will be obsolete very soon.

John, personally I think your (very good) tutorials will be just as valid a year or two on as they are today. 
Sonar X3>Sonar Platinum>CbB>Sonar has been a long slow evolution. Things I did in X3 I still do in CbB.
Just my nickel98, 

t

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words. A lot of work goes into making videos. At least the way I do it. 
As far as Sonar/Cakewalk/Sonar goes It depends on how you use the software as most certainly a lot of stuff is still the same even going back 20 years.
But example, with CbB Workspaces cannot be ignored and any instructions that don’t include them might miss a lot. 
The new Sonar we are told will be a major upgrade to the graphics and possibly a bunch of new features. 

I had to pull my tutorials on Next because they are updating it just about every 2 weeks. I’m slowly re doing them and trying to keep it basic for now but probably anything I make right now will become outdated in a short time.  

Mostly I mentioned this because I’d hate to see the OP go to all that work for discontinued software. They might be totally unaware of what is taking place. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Yes, it is clear that there may be no updates following the one earlier this year.  I'm going to grab it and see if it helps me with some problems with my reinstalled Platinum after I foolishly deleted it when the Command Center quit working.  I should have come here first :).

Oh, it looks like "Cakewalk Next" may be the replacement.  The CbB download link may be a bit hidden.  Oh, no.  Cakewalk Next will be a commercial product.  However, the Q&A about that provides the link to the CbB download.  (sighing)

Edited by orcmid

1 hour ago, orcmid said:

the Command Center quit working. 

Oh, it looks like "Cakewalk Next" may be the replacement.  The CbB download link may be a bit hidden.  Oh, no.  Cakewalk Next will be a commercial product.  However, the Q&A about that provides the link to the CbB download.  (sighing)

Have you installed the new version of the CCC, 1.8.1 I believe.

Cakewalk Next is a new product not a replacement for anything. 

CbB is ending plain and simple, personally we have had a good 6 years of a free ride.

Cakewalk Sonar is in effect the replacement but is functionly identical.

Whatever you do if you reinstall S-Plat you must reinstall CbB as there are shared files that work with both but CbB comes with new updated version.

On 12/10/2023 at 11:08 AM, Wookiee said:

Whatever you do if you reinstall S-Plat you must reinstall CbB as there are shared files that work with both but CbB comes with new updated version.

Good advice.  I did reinstall SONAR Platinum and I see the shared file locations.  I'll reinstall CbB to get the latest one.  Thanks. 

On 12/10/2023 at 11:08 AM, Wookiee said:

Have you installed the new version of the CCC, 1.8.1 I believe.

I did that.  Thanks for the tip.  The weird thing is my SONAR Platinum was still considered to be installed, but I managed to "reinstall" all of it.  I forget how I removed it, and evidently that was not clean enough to fix whatever registry keys or other files were being used to manage the configuration.  It's all working.