Babylon - Mix 3

Kevin Walsh

This tune has been percolating for a very long time, and I've finally decided to finish this thing. It's not really finished yet but it's certainly in shape enough to get some feedback. I'd love to hear some critical feedback on the mix, instruments and arrangements. In short, here's your chance to be a (very poorly paid) producer! :) 

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Edit: Not sure why the link wasn't working, so here's a sound cloud link:

https://soundcloud.com/kevin-ibsen/babylon

Updated: New mix addressing sucky bass. 

Updated:  tightened up some transitions, getting the drums under control

Edited by Kevin Walsh
New mix
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Kevin

Really good track and excellent guitar - the only thing for me is the bass - do you have a chorus effect on this perhaps? It just seems to not be constant and is drifting a bit

otherwise all good

Nigel

I very well might have, Nigel. I always throw so much crap at the bass guitar trying to get a good sound that I tend to forget. Thank you for yor ears!

1 hour ago, Teegarden said:

Love the trippy feel😉 

I agree with Nigel that the bass could use some work.
Seems like there's a little crack at the start (or is it my internet connection?)

Nice instrumental part,  nice little fills throughout the song!   

Thank you for listening! I'm not quite finished with it so I'll spend some looking for it. I appeciate your comments!

Funny I was listening and as I read the other comments I laughed because that was exactly what I thought. The bass sort of sucks. Not sure what you are using but I  would ditch it and find something else. I have found that the ample p bass lite is the best solution for my type of music. I do not have to process it at all. 
Otherwise great mix and the guitar parts make the song. Love  the way they move around in the headphones 

Edited by John Vere

Thanks for listening and commenting, John! The bass is played by me on a lovely Fender American  P Bass that I record direct in to the interface, an Audient ID22.
On some songs it sounds killer and on others not so much. I think it has more to do with my playing technique than any effects I throw at it. It’s time to throw the bass track out and try again I think.

I own both Modo and ample but I don’t  play keys and I’m just not any good at getting midi basslines to sound natural. Maybe I’m missing some secret that make great sounding midi bass parts possible.

• Kevin Walsh changed the title to Babylon - Mix 2
11 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Thanks for listening and commenting, John! The bass is played by me on a lovely Fender American  P Bass that I record direct in to the interface, an Audient ID22.
On some songs it sounds killer and on others not so much. I think it has more to do with my playing technique than any effects I throw at it. It’s time to throw the bass track out and try again I think.

I own both Modo and ample but I don’t  play keys and I’m just not any good at getting midi basslines to sound natural. Maybe I’m missing some secret that make great sounding midi bass parts possible.

I play my part on my Yamaha bass and then drag the audio track to AmpleP  bass instrument track.
I use Melodyne Melodic.

The midi will be an octave low. Transpose 12. 

I also find the duration is 1/32 to 1/16 too long so select all and drag back.  

Then I make all velocities 106. 

I Quantize 

I fix glitches and some notes to lock in with other tracks. 
I have over 300 backing tracks done this way as well as all my originals use either the Ample bass or Dim Pro Acoustic 

You can find my songs on all major streaming  services if you want examples. I’m also on Sound Click 

So instead of redoing just try the convert to midi trick first. 

I can actually use my Yamaha and real bass audio but I find the Ample p bass sounds almost identical anyway and it gives me way more options to clean up minor errors as well as rock solid timing. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Thanks for sharing your techniques, I'm going to have to give it a try. What are your quantization settings?

That totally depends on the material. Every song is different. 
Generally I use 1/16. But a lot of my material uses triplets. 
That’s why I Quantize as the last step before editing. 
You’ll soon hear that you choose the wrong one so you undo and try again with different settings. 

You can try different grid line settings in PRV and see what grid matches your notes  

• Thanks 1

• Kevin Walsh changed the title to Babylon - Mix 3