Why is my PRV suddenly behaving so sluggishly?

Keni

This has been going on only the last few days so I must have accidentally changed something?

In a somewhat large project (for me Probably over 20 tracks) with all tracks frozen but one. An old 32bit plugin I use in near every project (VSampler being the only one I can affor that will play my giga bass library). Normally it's as lightweight as can be, but right now opening the PRV takes many seconds of the screen slowly flashing and re-adjusting itself trying to get to it's goal. It does this with every screen movement and edit.

With all tracks but this frozen, there is only the waves Abbey Road Studio 3 plugin I use for my monitoring all projects, Soundtoys Little Plate VST2, Sonitus Modulator and Sonitus Delay. Nothing that should be causing this kind of response...

I would appreciate any thought any of you have about this. It's suddenly like this. Never before with such light load

Thanks...

I don't have much to offer other than to suggest you have another go at finding an affordable x64 substitute for VSampler. If the issue is related to Bitbridge, you might try the inexpensive 3rd-party Jbridge if you're not already running it. Bitbridge has an issue that it adds and empty buffer of audio to bounces/exports; Jbridge doesn't have this issue. It also solves the problem that having a 32-bit UI focused unavoidably grabs all your keystrokes so, for example, you can't start/stop the transport with Spacebar while working in the UI. It's cheap, but you can demo it first:

https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, David Baay said:

I don't have much to offer other than to suggest you have another go at finding an affordable x64 substitute for VSampler. If the issue is related to Bitbridge, you might try the inexpensive 3rd-party Jbridge if you're not already running it. Bitbridge has an issue that it adds and empty buffer of audio to bounces/exports; Jbridge doesn't have this issue. It also solves the problem that having a 32-bit UI focused unavoidably grabs all your keystrokes so, for example, you can't start/stop the transport with Spacebar while working in the UI. It's cheap, but you can demo it first:

https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

Thanks David, but that's not the problem here. I've been using this plugin since it was first given bundled with Sonar many decades ago! 😉

It has continually worked fine and I do use it on almost every song I work on. This current situation has only been within this last week... With same plugin.

If I open an empty project and insert the synth with all my typical plugins and a 4 minute bass track (MIDI) PRV is working fine. At 128 buffer all is normal.

On this project I'm working...

There are many very resource hungry plugins in the project.

Including Superior Drummer 3

VSampler

IK's Hammond B-3x

UA Moog

Labs

Cherry's CA2600

...and three guitar tracks using amongst other fx, virtual amps (Amplitube 4)

But all tracks are frozen except the VSampler track. As mentioned earlier, very few plugins running in busses.

Yet my PRV is behaving as if I was trying to run all those synths unfrozen simultaneously???

I don't get it. What's weighing the system down with so much frozen? Why is PRV behaing as if there's more load than there is?

22 minutes ago, gustabo said:

What you are describing 

Now why would anyone want to make the PRV response delayed and stuttering? I thought maybe pause scrolling or some such? Are you sure that's what it's supposed to do?

Please help me by telling me which key is the pause key. I use a very unusual system and my keyboard does not have that old familiar label (This is a Mac Pro which I run only Windows 10 on as my DAW with Xeon 12 core with multithreading at 3.06 and 128 GB RAM)

I remember that it's one of the home/end keys section, yes?

Once I know, I will unfreeze the track and see if that key changes anything related to this.... Thanks... A good lead to pursue!

I just opened a similar project with

Same Superior Drummer 3 (unforzen!)

Same VSampler Unforaen)

Same B-3x (frozen

UA Moog (Frozen

Cherry CA2600 (forzen)

and one frozen guitar track using Amplitube 4

In this project, even with two synths unfrozen, my PRV is behaving normally to edit either/both.

Same latency setting etc. Yes, it's slighly less loaded (no Labs and only 1 guitar track)

But it's again mostly frozen...

What is the problem in the other project? Could it be LABS (frozen involvement? That's the only very new (first use) device in my project....

Hmmm... I will remove the Labs synth and see what follows. Frozen, it shouldn't be such an issue, should it?

Nope... Even with the Labs synth removed from the project with it's tracks, PRV is still making dream of the fab handling of a Mac truck!

Edited by Keni

2 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Labs I found Buggy. I like some of the sounds but I had some issues a while ago and narrowed it down. I didn't bother to install it on my new computer.  

Thanks John.

i removed Labs from the project. Made no difference.

If the synths are frozen, they should jot be adding resource demands anymore.

I’m hoping Jonesy sees which key on my keyboard translates to "pause" as it’s a strong suspect.

59 minutes ago, sjoens said:

When you removed them from the project, did you save-as, close CbB, and reopen?

Also, looks like there's no Pause key... or Print key on your keyboard, but they may be assigned to F14 & F15 as on mine.

No. I did not. That's more than I was prepared to do. I will have to duplicate the project then experiment on the copy so as not to lose my work while testing.... Maybe tomorrow?

Thanks for the thought. I didn't think of this.

I'll try the function keys you mention...

Edited by Keni

29 minutes ago, OutrageProductions said:

IEEE standards for function keys is

13=PrintScreen/SysReq

14=Scroll Lock

15=Pause/Break

Unless you're on a pre-2006 Macintosh or Unix/VT100 Terminal [DOS], in which case F13-F24 are assignable. (Altho F13 on Mac is still SysReq).

Thanks... No, this is a 2013 Mac Pro "Trashcan" but the keyboard is a macally, not an official apple...

I'm gonna try the function keys in a moment...

Nope function keys F13/14/15 do nothing...

Edited by Keni

1 hour ago, sjoens said:

When you removed them from the project, did you save-as, close CbB, and reopen?

Also, looks like there's no Pause key... or Print key on your keyboard, but they may be assigned to F14 & F15 as on mine.

Thanks... I just tried this and again, no change.... The PRV has a couple of seconds delay to any action I do and is "jumpy"

3 minutes ago, OutrageProductions said:

Well, if you're running CbB in a VM/OS on a Mac, I can't help you.

Thanks for trying... I've been doing this for a couple of machines dating back to the Sonar days and though everyone always is shy thinking it has issues due to this, I haven't discovered any one difference. Bootcamp supplies the DOS boot table and it's running on intel... When it's open as windows (the only way I use it) it is a windows machine... Period... Now the keyboard? That's always been a bit of a pain...