Straight Ahead Samples [NEW RELEASES] Tuba + Guitar!

cclarry

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Craig Fowler said:

The demo for the archtop has just gone up - and it sounds amazing!

https://www.straightaheadsamples.com/jb145

Honestly, I think the tuba sounds dreadful, but then there aren't many places I can imagine needing one.

Sadly, this developer isn't known for great BF sales, but I have my eye on the flugelhorn...

That is the most savage jazz tuba sample library review I've ever seen. *

* That's also the first jazz tuba library I've ever seen. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Craig Fowler said:

I felt a little bad saying it because what SAS have been able to do with their smart delay feature is absolutely amazing. But if you watch the demo videos for the tuba and the archtop back to back, it's...well, unflattering to the tuba!

I actually tried to listen on my phone but their web page doesn't show audio or video so I can't check it out. I've done some savage reviews. I think all that matters is that we're being honest. 

Just curious are you a jazz musician that's using this for final productions or for demos or arranging? If I was still able to play professionally,  I think I'd  mostly use sample libraries for sketching out ideas/arrangements/demos and have real musicians record the final production. I mostly played rock professionally,  but did a couple of jazz gigs and absolutely love jazz. 

23 hours ago, Craig Fowler said:

The demo for the archtop has just gone up - and it sounds amazing!

https://www.straightaheadsamples.com/jb145

Honestly, I think the tuba sounds dreadful, but then there aren't many places I can imagine needing one.

Sadly, this developer isn't known for great BF sales, but I have my eye on the flugelhorn...

Okay, I finally listened to the tuba demo and I completely agree with you regarding the tuba sample library. The tuba simply does not sound well recorded.

And let me be clear, I LOVE almost everything else I've heard from this developer (okay, I didn't love his free piano). It sounds fantastic to my ears. It has a vibe I never imagined a sample developer could capture. And I've told the dev that at another forum. It's really like Cinesamples Piano in Blue.  But the tuba does sound like a miss to my ears too.  

Edited by PavlovsCat

22 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I actually tried to listen on my phone but their web page doesn't show audio or video so I can't check it out. I've done some savage reviews. I think all that matters is that we're being honest. 

Just curious are you a jazz musician that's using this for final productions or for demos or arranging? If I was still able to play professionally,  I think I'd  mostly use sample libraries for sketching out ideas/arrangements/demos and have real musicians record the final production. I mostly played rock professionally,  but did a couple of jazz gigs and absolutely love jazz. 

56 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Okay, I finally listened to the tuba demo and I completely agree with you regarding the tuba sample library. The tuba simply does not sound well recorded.

And let me be clear, I LOVE almost everything else I've heard from this developer (okay, I didn't love his free piano). It sounds fantastic to my ears. It has a vibe I never imagined a sample developer could capture. And I've told the dev that at another forum. It's really like Cinesamples Piano in Blue.  But the tuba does sound like a miss to my ears too.  

Always nice to have your impression validated by someone else!

I'm strictly a hobbyist with a fondness for jazz standards 🙂 With that said, my hunch is that most people who use the horn libraries from this dev don't feel the need to replace them. You'd have to know really good horn players (and be able to record them well!) to improve on what can be achieved with the smartdelay function. 

The bari sax and tuba seem very niche - I know there has been some demand for a wider range of instruments, but I hope they're not spreading themselves too thin because they're doing things that no other dev is managing to pull off.