No audio after changing audio interface!

Holger

Question

Hello, 

since the latest update (the final) of Cakewalk bbl I have a serious issue with audio. 

When I change the audio interface (and therefore the audio driver) from Zoom H4n Pro to MOTU the whole project is silence. No more audio! 

I tried to change the project name, saved it under a different name, used the packed project feature, moved the projects to another PC.  Nothing helps! 

I cannot bring the project back to play a single noise. 

Any ideas? 

Intel 5 11.Gen Windows 11 16GB Ram

19 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Look at the output on your Master track. Where is it sending the signal ?     Zoom ? Motu ?  Nowhere ?

It goes to the right audio hardware but there is no signal then. 

Btw of course have I changed the settings for the audio input and output in Cakewalk! 

2 hours ago, Canopus said:

Different sampling rates set on your two interfaces? And the MOTU's differs from the project’s?

That could be a reason! But why is the project silent eben if I switch back to the H4N and his drivers then? Or visa versa?

is the volume control on the IO unit up? sometimes when i switch i turn my master volume on the IO i'm not using. down. and then of course sometimes forget to turn it back up. so i suggest getting into "pilot" mode of checking settings: IO volume up - check, sound id profile correct for headphone type - check, master fader volume up - check, H/W fader (usually hidden) up - check. and now several years of this habit i seldom ever get any points during which no audio happens due to system settings. still happens when i forget to unmute a track here and there though... lol.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

1 hour ago, Glenn Stanton said:

is the volume control on the IO unit up? sometimes when i switch i turn my master volume on the IO i'm not using. down. and then of course sometimes forget to turn it back up.

In all other programs and cases audio works fine! The problem happens only in Cakewalk itself. 

1 hour ago, Glenn Stanton said:

during which no audio happens due to system settings.

I was hoping that I'm not the only one. 

I will check the tip with different Bit deph ASAP and come back! 

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

Gave you a  troubleshooting tool and you come back saying you don’t need instructions?  

Yes Sir. What I need is any idea what could be a reason for a behaviour of Cakewalk that I never saw before. 

Your video tells nothing about my problem. 

But now we ruled out that part didn’t we. 
Now we know you have your sample rate is set the same in Windows, Cakewalk and your audio interfaces control panels. 

Now we now you have sound to your speakers from your interfaces because you tested it in Sound Settings 

We know that you have disabled all other audio devices other than your interfaces. 

Now we know you are using the most updated ASIO drivers for your interfaces. And that is driver mode you are using. 
Now we know you have made sure your Audio interface is  is the only device showing in all the dialogue boxes in preferences. 

We also now know that all your inputs and outputs are selected too. 

Open a basic project and play the metronome. Observe the bus pane and the metronome bus.  If you don’t hear it then check the output is correctly set on your master bus. 

A wild one i just thought of, is I sure hope you were not using the MS GM synth?  That has been disabled now.  

He said Sample Rate, not bit depth. Cakewalk doesn’t care about bit depth. It can play all of them. But sample rate is important and explained in the video.  
You don’t mention if you tried other projects?  This is also why I said load a new basic project as that rules out a plug in causing the issue. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, John Vere said:

Now we know you have your sample rate is set the same in Windows, Cakewalk and your audio interfaces control panels. 

Yes

Now we now you have sound to your speakers from your interfaces because you tested it in Sound Settings 

Yes

We know that you have disabled all other audio devices other than your interfaces. 

Yes

Now we know you are using the most updated ASIO drivers for your interfaces. And that is driver mode you are using. 

Yes

Now we know you have made sure your Audio interface is  is the only device showing in all the dialogue boxes in preferences. 

Yes

We also now know that all your inputs and outputs are selected too. 

Yes

Open a basic project and play the metronome. Observe the bus pane and the metronome bus.  If you don’t hear it then check the output is correctly set on your master bus. 

Check, works fine

A wild one i just thought of, is I sure hope you were not using the MS GM synth?  That has been disabled now.  

No, I worked only with audio recording

He said Sample Rate, not bit depth. Cakewalk doesn’t care about bit depth. It can play all of them. But sample rate is important and explained in the video.  

Yup, sample rate, sorry! That's the point that I'll have to check! 

You don’t mention if you tried other projects?

If I open another project or start a new one all is good. 

This is also why I said load a new basic project as that rules out a plug in causing the issue. 

Thank you so much for your help! 

Ok progress. So it is only one project that has no sound.  

More questions. 
In Console view: 
Do all the track meters show activity? 
Do all the buss meters show activity? 
Does the master bus meter show activity 

Does the Hardware strip show activity? 
A screenshot of your busses including the Hardware bus with this project playing might be a good thing. 

Did you try shifting the driver mode to WASAPI or WDM and back to ASIO for that project? Reason I ask this is that it will force a reset on the sound engine drivers. CbB will save profiles of known good hardware and may be confused, so forcing that reset by shifting out of/back into ASIO mode will force CbB it to re-recognize the hardware available to it.

17 hours ago, John Vere said:

Ok progress. So it is only one project that has no sound.  

More questions. 
In Console view: 
Do all the track meters show activity? 
Do all the buss meters show activity? 
Does the master bus meter show activity 

Does the Hardware strip show activity? 
A screenshot of your busses including the Hardware bus with this project playing might be a good thing. 

No for all 4 questions. And I cannot record new audio in this project when I add a new track, set it to record and try to record audio. Also, I cannot reproduce this problem when I start a brandnew project.

I tried all kind of drivers from WASAPI to ASIO and others and back. Tried different bit deph too. Stayed in 44.1KH mode all the time.

14 hours ago, mettelus said:

Did you try shifting the driver mode to WASAPI or WDM and back to ASIO for that project? Reason I ask this is that it will force a reset on the sound engine drivers. CbB will save profiles of known good hardware and may be confused, so forcing that reset by shifting out of/back into ASIO mode will force CbB it to re-recognize the hardware available to it.

Yes I tried that too. Saw the system making the checks, all was fine. But the project remains to be silent. Changed all back to asio, different drivers, different Hardware, but had no success.