How to record my outboard synth digitally thru it's USB out to computer USB in?

T Boog

Hi guys. I have a Korg PA500 synth that I've been using just as a midi controller. However, I just learned from the owner's manual that the Korg's USB out is designed to plug straight to computer to record digitally. 

I've downloaded the latest Korg driver for my synth. Now I just need to know how to record it. I'm guessing I should insert it as a midi track?

Can someone please walk me thru the steps on how to go about this? Thanks!

If you downloaded the driver from Korg you should be able to use the synth as an audio device. I think that this will cause the problem that you will not be able to use the "other" audio card that you usually use at the same time.

Anyway, maybe, you could use the Korg as audio card just once, and creating an audio track you should be able to capture its sound.

Once recorded the track you could then switch to your regular audio driver.

Am I wrong?

bye,

Giorgio

1 hour ago, Giorgio Gabriel said:

If you downloaded the driver from Korg you should be able to use the synth as an audio device. I think that this will cause the problem that you will not be able to use the "other" audio card that you usually use at the same time.

I assume by "other audio card" u mean my interface? If that's the case, that would suck. I'm also in the middle of a project so I'm kinda scared to muck around with swapping drivers. I was hoping it was a simple, straight forward process.

I just took a quick look at the manual and AFAICT the USB is only passing MIDI data. With the Drivers installed (and the Korg connected), you just need to go into CbB preferences->MIDI->Devices and check the box as a MIDI input (similar to what you did using your interface). Check and see if it is listed in your MIDI devices when plugged in via USB.

You probably can also check it as an output, but to get audio from the Korg back into CbB you will need to run audio from the output jacks on the Korg to your audio interface. In fact, you can record into CbB for both MIDI (via USB) and audio (via the audio outputs to your interface) but may see some latency in doing so.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mettelus said:

I just took a quick look at the manual and AFAICT the USB is only passing MIDI data. With the Drivers installed (and the Korg connected), you just need to go into CbB preferences->MIDI->Devices and check the box as a MIDI input (similar to what you did using your interface). Check and see if it is listed in your MIDI devices when plugged in via USB.

This ^^^.  From manual I found on line directly from Korg:

USB 1.1 Full Speed Device port, to connect a personal computer to your Pa500. This port can be used for file transfer, and for MIDI connection (without the need of a dedicated MIDI interface for the PC).

6 hours ago, T Boog said:

Hi guys. I have a Korg PA500 synth that I've been using just as a midi controller. However, I just learned from the owner's manual that the Korg's USB out is designed to plug straight to computer to record digitally

It is unclear if by "record digitally" the OP meant "record MIDI" (as opposed to audio).

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

Yep it’s just a midi keyboard that is also a sound module. So you treat it as such. 
Record the midi, edit and when happy send the midi back to the keyboard and record the audio output via your interface. 

There are keyboard workstations that include ASIO audio interfaces and those normally will have audio inputs on them for guitar and mike connections.  I know Yamaha makes one.  But they are rare. 

I’ll add there is nothing wrong with switching audio interfaces when needed. I do it all the time. 
The important part is using 48 as a sample rate for everything.  

• Like 2

What John said above is the right answer. Send your Midi data to the PC thru USB. Run L/R audio outs from the keyboard to a stereo pair on the interface, and use direct/zero latency monitoring from your interface to hear the midi that you're working on. Edit in CW until you're happy, then record the audio thru your audio interface. I do this all the time with a number of external synths, including a Korg Kronos.

Edited by Ross Smithe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Arwood said:

Some USB connections can carry multi channel audio data. Check to be sure if your does this. 

I suppose it is possible that Korg reissued an updated PA500 that sends audio data out the usb port, but the user (2008) and service manuals (2007) for the PA500 I found on line do not show that ability.  I suppose it is also possible that they were able to do that with a software update.  I looked, but didn't do an exhaustive search.

@Max Arwood where would you suggest the OP look? 

I don’t know those korgs. Kurzweil added this with spiff in 1999.

I was reading here ->
 https://gearspace.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/694317-list-hardware-synths-modules-digital-audio-outputs-s-pdif-etc.html

It looks like several models can add a spiff card. That might be an option on an older keyboard  

I just read a Reddit forum a guys said korg doesn’t do much usb audio.  But I know that The korg Kronos has usb audio.  

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/523479/Korg-Pa-500.html

I looked some but this is 283 pages!

I didn’t find it. 
Good Luck!

The Yamaha Motif etc can function as a one stop audio and midi usb  unit.  You have to run their driver and then you can record the motif’s audio directly as well as the standard midi output via usb.  When I used it back when, however, the latency was high.  This was years ago and I didn’t really try to replace my interface with the 2x2 Yamaha usb system, so others might have got it to work.

however, the Motif line is a significant step up in price from the Korg.  And that is about the only thing I know about the Korg.

Yes using hardware takes dedication as it's actually a more advanced process than just using VST instruments. Some of us still use hardware because there are sounds in there that you don't have in a VST.  I have a Korg 05r/w and a Sound Canvas plus a  Roland 505 and a GR 50. The Sound Canvas and GR 50 are dust collectors because they don't have anything of interest to me the TTS-1 has that covered.  But the Korg has some sounds that I have yet to replace and as far as I can see it was never emulated in a VST.  

It's a lifelong quest to collect sounds you really like and then you totally forget where you found them. At least with a VST it stays put in a project. 

The downside of hardware is if you later on need to make changes then it's a major hassle and if your like me I often forget to embed the bank and patch in the midi track because I just used the hardware's front panel to select the sound I wanted. I stopped doing that once I learn how to use the Instrument definitions. Lucky me the Korg was on the list.  

Edited by John Vere

My solution for many years has been Samplit2. I also have newer software called SampleRobot. I like the simplicity of Samplit2, but they both work great to copy hardware to Kontakt files. Most of my favorite sounds have been sampled. Both softwares let you chose how large/detailed file you want to make. If you don’t know about these you should look into them.

• Like 1