Writing simultaneous, identical envelopes on multiple tracks possible?

Billy86

Is it possible to select multiple tracks and simultaneously right, say, an identical volume envelope for all of them at once. What I’m trying to do is drop multiple tracks out at a certain point in a song for a certain amount of time before they come back in all at the same time. Maybe that’s automating some sort of group mute/unmute?

Seems my OP isn't possible, but thanks for the suggestions, all. Realized drawing identical envelopes won't work because the track envelopes for the rest of the song are completely different; same issue with copy/paste envelope. Sending all to a bus or an aux with a single controlling volume envelope may be the best way forward. 

Yes. you could add gain envelope to multiple tracks. While hold down the CTRL key you can then select multiple tracks and lower volume use the new gain clip volume  tool. The CTRL key will make it happen on all selected tracks. You can do other things too with multiple tracks and the CTRL key like: change the reverb levels, lower the gain or volume knobs., add multiple sends. Keep the CTRL key down when making edits. 

Interesting, and a nice time-saver. How about the multitrack moves you mention for only an identical 16 measures in the middle of the song? There would need to be envelope nodes added at the same locations on the multitracks. Node 1: the track's discreet volume pre-event, Node 2 would take that volume to Zero, Node 3 and 4 in combination would take the discreet track's volume from Zero back to its volume at Node 1.  

depending on how tightly these need to happen, one track at a time with automation write enabled to drag down the fader and bring it up. one other option is do a split on the clips start and end, then edit the volume envelope - the cursor sets to the size of the selected clip, then just drag that down. repeat per track. not great but reasonably fast.

• Great Idea 1

I usually use markers for the verse/chorus/prechorus/other. This way I can

1 select the tracks I want to work on

2 click between the markers on the ruler

3 while holding down the CTRL add a clip gain

4  move the mouse to a darkened area caused by the marker selection. The cursor changes. Drag this area down and it will automatically add the nodes and move the selected env area down on all selected tracks. You could drag up or down.

Mccloud made a great short video clip on it. I wish I could locate it for you.

you can :

add all types of envelopes 

automate multiple envelopes 

change multiple effect/reverb sends

You could change the volume of 50 tracks at the same time!

You can do a ton of stuff with this. It is called quick group if you want to search  and study it. 

Edit - quick groups is a good thing to learn, but adding a group bus to use for volume automation is simplifying things not making it more difficult. 

Edited by Max Arwood
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

thanks Max! i seldom use envelopes for dropouts - if i do need it, i usually just split the tracks i need to drop and carve the opening, esp since i seldom drop all tracks - and most times the arrangement is addressing most of the dynamics in the performance anyways.

i wan't sure if the quick group could affect multiple volume (etc) envelopes or not. i'll have to try that out as a new song i'm working on needs a 1 beat drop across all 31 tracks and i'm reluctant to adjust the performances...

10 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

I usually use markers for the verse/chorus/prechorus/other. This way I can

1 select the tracks I want to work on

2 click between the markers on the ruler

3 while holding down the CTRL add a clip gain

4  move the mouse to a darkened area caused by the marker selection. The cursor changes. Drag this area down and it will automatically add the nodes and move the selected env area down on all selected tracks. You could drag up or down.

Mccloud made a great short video clip on it. I wish I could locate it for you.

you can :

add all types of envelopes 

automate multiple envelopes 

change multiple effect/reverb sends

You could change the volume of 50 tracks at the same time!

You can do a ton of stuff with this. It is called quick group if you want to search  and study it. 

Edit - quick groups is a good thing to learn, but adding a group bus to use for volume automation is simplifying things not making it more difficult. 

@msmcleod any chance you still have the vid he references in this post? Thanks.