adding reverb or delay to track through sends isn't working very well - SOLVED

greg54

When I have a vocal or guitar track and want to add reverb or delay, I make a reverb or delay bus, and then add it to the track through sends.  Then I could adjust the amount I wanted for that particular track.

But lately when I do that, there is hardly any reverb or delay on the track.   And by that I mean, even though I turn the sends knob up, there is barely any reverb or delay on the track.  So I added the reverb directly onto the guitar track, and there was a ton of reverb.  But when I put it back onto the reverb bus and add it to the track through sends, there is hardly any reverb, even though I maxed out the reverb on the reverb bus.

Solutions?

Edited by greg54

presumably you are trying:

track -> master buss (or equiv)

track -> send to reverb buss or aux track -> reverb 100% wet / 0% dry -> output to master buss

?

a few things to check:

1) is the reverb getting a signal from the track?

2) is the reverb output set to the same output as the tracks?

3) is the mix (wet/dry) settings on the reverb set to 100% wet and 0% dry? (otherwise you're just getting more dry signal)

4) is the reverb powered on / enabled / not controlled by an envelope which could be turning off the sends or the buss itself?

Edited by Glenn Stanton

40 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

presumably you are trying:

track -> master buss (or equiv)

track -> send to reverb buss or aux track -> reverb 100% wet / 0% dry -> output to master buss

Yes.  Track > reverb bus >master bus.   Reverb plugin is on 100% wet and 0% dry.

41 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

1) is the reverb getting a signal from the track?

Not sure what you mean.   "Very little" reverb is getting through to the track via sends

43 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

2) is the reverb output set to the same output as the tracks?

Again, not sure what you mean.  

45 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

4) is the reverb powered on / enabled / not controlled by an envelope which could be turning off the sends or the buss itself?

The reverb is powered on.  No envelope to control it.  

17 minutes ago, greg54 said:

Next to the send knob there is a button that's always orange (on).

Sends always default to post fader so that as you pull down the level on the track channel, it also reduces the send level to the reverb bus.

Evidently you either have the fader pretty far down or the track itself is relatively quiet.

Beware: in Pre-fader (button off), if you mute the track or fade out the signal, the level of reverb will remain fixed.

Edited by OutrageProductions

For reverbs especially and time-based FX in general, you want them post-fader (the default) unless you are looking for something unique. The reason is that you want the FX to be proportional to the actual track signal so it sounds natural (those FX should never be stronger than the source in real life). If shutting post-fader off "solved" the problem, check the routing on that track to understand what is going on. Post-fader send to a reverb bus is expected for typical use, and there is very little between a pre- and post-fader send (maybe a panning mismatch? or the fader has a hefty gain increase on the track).

Edited by mettelus

Some thoughts.

What do you hear if you solo the reverb bus? 

Did you try using a different reverb? 

Did you try deleting the send and re-adding it? 

What is the peak level of the vocal track when you set the track fader at unity? 

What is the peak level of the reverb bus at unity? 

Do you have a vocal sub bus? Try adding the send there. 

Edited by John Vere

• greg54 changed the title to adding reverb or delay to track through sends isn't working very well - SOLVED