Coming Arrival

Tim Smith

I like it! As for the mix, I get that you were struggling with the vocals to sit better. The times when the guitar was brought down, the vocals were more present. Guitar being my favorite instrument, love when its strong like this but maybe turn it down some? Other things I might try, panning the guitar away from the center to both sides and keep vocals in center, less fx on vocals or another vocal track with less vocals behind it, eq out some of the overlapping frequencies between guitar and vocals.  Good work and good luck with any corrections !

• Like 1

Really like this track, strong composition and performance. Mix wise, I agree with Treesha, biggest thing I hear is the guitar is kind of hogging the center of the mix. Seems like it should be moved back and spread out, and the vocals should be more forward and present. You could even set a side chain compressor to duck the guitars when the vocals come in and then they could go back up again when vocs stop. Overall great job though, keep at it!

Edited by Ross Smithe
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2023 at 2:15 PM, treesha said:

I like it! As for the mix, I get that you were struggling with the vocals to sit better. The times when the guitar was brought down, the vocals were more present. Guitar being my favorite instrument, love when its strong like this but maybe turn it down some? Other things I might try, panning the guitar away from the center to both sides and keep vocals in center, less fx on vocals or another vocal track with less vocals behind it, eq out some of the overlapping frequencies between guitar and vocals.  Good work and good luck with any corrections !

On 10/4/2023 at 7:37 PM, KSband said:

I would bring up the vocals, bass and drums.

13 hours ago, Ross Smithe said:

Really like this track, strong composition and performance. Mix wise, I agree with Treesha, biggest thing I hear is the guitar is kind of hogging the center of the mix. Seems like it should be moved back and spread out, and the vocals should be more forward and present. You could even set a side chain compressor to duck the guitars when the vocals come in and then they could go back up again when vocs stop. Overall great job though, keep at it!

Thanks for these observations. I @Ross Smithe @KSband and @treeshamust have played with guitar volume for hours. Main part is really played by two tracks I was tempted to track two vocal tracks which seems to work well for some mixes. Both guitar tracks are panned about 20% L/R. 

Maybe you know the feeling. Some mixes just seem to jump into place, while others can hang us up. Case in point.

Me on a whim with a uke HERE. No forethought. Took about 20 minutes to play and record the basics. Playing isn't very tight. That recording itself basically sucks with lots of little noises in the beginning. It was supposed to be an experiment- over 300 plays on SC. Skip forward to this track. Hours and hours invested in trying to get it to sound right, playing the parts, etc, and it gets half the attention. Go figure.

I will see what else I can do based on these suggestions.  Thanks all!

So the trick the pros use to getting the vocals to sit right in the mix (I just saw this used by a great mixer) is what  Ross Smithe eluded to earlier.  That is what I think is needed to spruce up this mix.

But here is the "twist".  Use a multi-band side-chain compressor.  Send all your instruments to a bus before they go out to the master. Use your vocals to compress all frequencies  the instrument bus has in the vocal range (usually 1k-5k ish---use your ears for each project).   If you can't get your hands on one My friend said he use to accomplish this in the old days with a "De-esser" , programming it's automation to turn on and off during the vocals and instead of it set to the S frequencies, he lowered the settings to compress the actual vocal range(in all the instruments of course} . 

If you do this right , all the vocals sit way better.

Sonar gave this multi band compressor away along time ago.  If you have it try it.

• Great Idea 1

Bloody Hell !Tim  There´s a lot going on in there , Loved the guitars and yeah I concure with all the above , with the right mix this is a great song as said before  maybe the guitars should by panned L R making more space for the vocals??? , cheers P

• Like 1