Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S MK3

satya

11 hours ago, Fleer said:

Yeah, would love a new 32. 

I have the M32 (as a cheap 2nd hand) just for playing desktop synths and sounddesign.  When I'm in my synth corner I can't reach for my usual midi controllers on my desk. I really like the feel of the keys. I can't think of any features I feel like missing right now. It picked up the transport controls for Ableton in an instant. 

• Like 1

Didn't like the feel of the Kontrol S-88 mk2. 

Compared to higher-end workstation keybeds, it feels cheap.

Polyphonic aftertouch and 30-lb weight make me want to try the mk3... but I don't have high hopes.

My favorite 88-key keybed (out of everything that currently exists) is the Nord Stage 4.

At ~40 pounds, the weight isn't terrible... but once in a case, it's about as heavy as I want to go (carting to gigs).

The Stage 4 has triple-sensor keybed... and channel-aftertouch (not polyphonic).

The keys have enough weight to play acoustic piano expressively... but sprite enough to play fast Moog type synth lines.

I can't imagine carting something like the Fantom-8 or Montage-8.

In a case, those are 80+ pounds.

That harkens back to the early 80s and hauling 100 pound Rhodes electric pianos.  🤪

Edited by Jim Roseberry

5 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

I have the M32 (as a cheap 2nd hand) just for playing desktop synths and sounddesign.  When I'm in my synth corner I can't reach for my usual midi controllers on my desk. I really like the feel of the keys. I can't think of any features I feel like missing right now. It picked up the transport controls for Ableton in an instant. 

I love that form factor. Would be great if they add an interface. 

27 minutes ago, Fleer said:

I love that form factor. Would be great if they add an interface. 

Only if they utilized a third party that knows how to make a quality audio I/O.

I've tested the NI interfaces on the bench and never been impressed with their A/D specifications, especially jitter.

But then, IMO, the M32 is not evidentiary of high standards anyway. 

• Like 1

I really got this wrong.   This is a whole new piece of technology.  It has a computer on-board so that the lights work with Kontakt--without Komplete Kontrol.  This is something a lot of people care about.  

I've never had any problems using Komplete Kontrol, so it's not a big deal.  But that might be significant for other people.  

There's lots of useful info in this VI:Control thread.  

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/komplete-kontrol-s-series-keyboards-mark-3-now-available.143521/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OutrageProductions said:

Only if they utilized a third party that knows how to make a quality audio I/O.

I've tested the NI interfaces on the bench and never been impressed with their A/D specifications, especially jitter.

But then, IMO, the M32 is not evidentiary of high standards anyway. 

Depends on how you define 'high standards'. If that standard would be that it must fit perfectly beneath a Behringer 2600 in a 19"rack, well let me present exhibit A that it is the best keyboard known to man 😜

PXL_20230914_163412041.thumb.jpg.f919ea2ae4d4fc6681f3026633cbe456.jpg

• Haha 1