Best FREE KONTAKT Libraries (2024)- A Curated List of Reviewed & Recommended Sample Instruments

PavlovsCat

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

Free Drum Mic'a probably deserves its place among drum instruments for Kontakt.

https://free-drum-kits.com/sennheiser-drummica/

I would have included it, but Senheiser discontinued it and I don't link to or trust sketchy sites infringing on other parties intellectual property (which is what this site is doing). 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Great Idea 1

57 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I would have included it, but Senheiser discontinued it and I don't link to or trust sketchy sites infringing on other parties intellectual property (which is what this site is doing). 

Discontinued? No wonder, the link didn't surface at the top. Are you absolutely positive, that this site infringes intellectual property of third parties?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Soundwise said:

Discontinued? No wonder, the link didn't surface at the top. Are you absolutely positive, that this site infringes intellectual property of third parties?

Contact Senheiser,  but I'm very confident this sketchy site owner is not concerned with any of  the parties intellectual property rights of files they're sharing and has done a deal to get Senheiser's permission.  If Senheiser wanted to continue distributing the library,  they would be doing it.  This site owner also scrapped the content off of Senheiser's site (legally,  that's copyright infringement,  which is another big indicator this isn't someone concerned about respecting intellectual property rights / laws or ethics). 

A huge red flag for this sketchy site is that the site owner hides their identity and distributes other parties intellectual property (files). These kinds of sites are common. Technically,  even if a library is provided by the developer for free, taking those files and re-distributing them without agreement (which I will guarantee this anonymous site owner didn’t get) is software piracy.

But even if that doesn't mean anything to folks, the kinds of people that engage in those practices aren't the kind I'd trust to avoid infected files. Senheiser owns the right to do whatever they wish with their library and if they've decided to stop distributing it, as is the case, that is their sole right to do. Considering it was created more than a decade ago for an earlier version of KONTAKT,  it likely needs some tweaking and Senheiser likely didn't want to maintain it. But this sketchy site owner is merely grabbing their intellectual property as bait to bring traffic to his site, which I'm sure he's planning to monetize in some way (likely ads), but he also could be doing it to spread viruses.  In any event,  I'd recommend against it and stick with non anonymous sites whose owners respect others' intellectual property rights.  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I'd much prefer a legit link to Drum Mic'A. It was pretty decent for a free kit. I loaded it up and played it before adding it to the list, so I can comment on it. I downloaded it 10+ years ago, shortly after Seinheiser released it, but haven't tried it in a long time until now.  I'll definitely add it to the list. 

Thanks @Soundwise . Please don't take offense that I wasn't comfortable with that site; my issue isn't with you. I sincerely appreciate your suggestion -- and I agree that this library should be on the list and am including it because of your suggestion. Thanks to @Last Call for finding the links directly from Senheiser; and thanks to @Niky Serrano for finding the manual. 

Going through this library again, I think Senheiser did a pretty nice job, not only with the sounds, but they included a mixer with an EQ, transient designer and compressor which is really nice (although the GUI looks pretty ancient today). I found that I made a bunch of presets for the library and they sound pretty good  (I'm not saying I'm competent enough to share them; I was only a drummer, not an engineer; I'm sure all of you guys know a lot more than I do about mixing).  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

I am in love with the Wuly and have been since I was 3 when my mother, a musician and music teacher, bought one. The OGrady library was originally a Soundfont maybe 20 years ago and is pretty lofi in a less than desirable sense, by today's sample standards. I would guess that it only contains a small amount of sampled keys and no velocity layers. One of the great things about the Wuly (the real instrument) is how dynamic it is -- its sweetness when you play it softly and its bite when you play it aggressively. That's rarely captured in even the detailed sampled Wurly libraries. 

The Lo-fi Wurly on my list goes after the same vibe as the O'Grady library, but with far more detail and better sound quality. The Premier Sound Factory Wurly G seeks the same qualities, but I don't think it does it as well as the Lo-fi Wurly (made by an amateur samplist). However, Premier Sound Factory did a much better job of cleaning up their samples (the Lo-fi Wurly samples are pretty noisy if you hold a note down for a long time). Then there's the Worlitzer over at Pianobook. 

I could do a whole thread on Wurlies and even do a comparison shot out of various libraries. Oh wait, I already did that a couple of years ago! 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Soundwise said:

This Bass instrument for Kontakt is well sampled, easy to use and sounds good.

https://oomindstudio.com/index.php/hardy-bass/

This is definitely a short coming of my list -- it reflects my tastes and preferences, even with regard to styles. While I do I like a limited amount of metal bands (more prog metal), I don't create metal music.  Another admitted shortcoming of my list is that I rarely go beyond using Orange Tree Samples Evolution guitar and bass libraries. In all candor, I had such input in the initial creation of how the libraries work -- as I was a fan of the developer's work going back before he started Orange Tree Samples (he was doing libraries for other developers and some very innovative scripting for Cinesamples and other KONTAKT developers that became the talk of KONTAKT developers) and I find them so incredibly well done in terms of sampling quality, tone, scripting, and functionality, that I rarely use other guitar and bass libraries.

Guitar articulations are very complex to script in order to get authentic performances, unlike a piano or drum library and Evolution incorporate physical modeling principles that make a big difference. There are some free guitar libraries to spend time with specifically for the purposes of this list. I've tried all of the better free guitar and bass libraries on the market in the past, and though it's not for KONTAKT, the best free guitar and bass libraries I've tried are easily Ample Sounds by far. But I only tried them for myself, not for this list and making recommendations, so I need to try the libraries out again. I would include Ample Sounds libraries on this list based on their quality (they're on my other list, which includes all formats of free sample libraries), but they're not KONTAKT libraries. Maybe this weekend I'll try out the free 8Dio libraries. One was formerly a paid library they've recently made free, so I'm actually pretty pumped about that one. Christian Henson made a free KONTAKT electric guitar library drenched in reverb that's pretty good that I was just playing with the other day to decide if I should add it to the list. But again, I've become such a perfectionist for guitar and bass libraries that it's difficult to recommend something I find insufficient for my use. For free, I think Ample Sounds is the best thing out there for guitar and bass.  I'd put a KONTAKT developer next, but I can't in good conscience, recommend the guy's stuff due to his poor ethics (and I still have one of his libraries on my list because I enjoy it so much, but I'm probably eventually going to take it off; I think ethics should be a factor in who we choose to do business with and who I can recommend, even for freebies). 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

This is definitely a short coming of my list -- it reflects my tastes and preferences, even with regard to styles.

I believe most of us understand and respect that. It is your list, so whatever you put there reflects your perspective. I am totally fine with that and really appreciate the time and effort you put into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• PavlovsCat changed the title to Best FREE KONTAKT Libraries (2024)- A Curated List of Reviewed & Recommended Sample Instruments

I just added several more KONTAKT sample libraries to the list (see the original post). Most of them are libraries I've used for a long time that I just didn't recall when creating the list. As always, I put the newly added libraries at the beginning of their respective instrument categories.  My list now has more than 75 recommended sample libraries, all sorted by instrument type to make it more convenient (as the list has become pretty long and I'm adding to it at least a couple of times of a month). 

If you have your own Kontakt sample instrument recommendations, please post them! If you mention something I also like, I'll include it in my list too. The goal here is to be a great resource for others who may be short on cash but want to enjoy music making, and there are plenty of really good libraries out there, it's just a lot of work to find the best ones. That's where we can come in and help others. 

- Peter

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I just added a bunch more guitar, strings, synth, percussion, tuned percussion, vocal and brass sample libraries to the list. I had written several more libraries up, but my Internet went out and after I pressed submit I lost everything. So I'll probably be doing another update this weekend. I know that the list passed 90 Kontakt libraries when I counted this last night, so after today's additions, it should be over 100 libraries at this point. If someone wants to count it and post what they find, I'll be happy to update the original post with the latest number of libraries. In any event, when I was googling for free kontakt libraries last night, I think we've come up with -- as this has been a collaborative effort -- the most extensive list of high quality Kontakt instruments that I've seen and I've done a good amount of searching (even lists with 10, 20, and 25 libraries I've seen often include some pretty old libraries that are significantly inferior to the quality of libraries on this list). I can use everyone's help in keeping it going strong.

If you find the list useful or you've tried a library on the list and you feel strongly positive or negative about it, please do a post and/or give the original post a like to keep the thread alive (they don't pin threads like this in the Deals subforum). 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just added several more recommended sample libraries, including piano, drums, strings... If you have some free libraries for the free Kontakt Player or full version of Kontakt, please make a post and let us know why you like it. But the list now has far more than 100 free high quality sample libraries -- all recommended. I didn't put anything on the list I'm iffy about. There are especially some paid quality level pianos. There are some excellent synth, string, electric pianos, and tuned percussion libraries and everything is organized by instrument category to make it easy for everyone to find what they want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1