writing pitch bend in MIDI

DSL

Question

Hi friends,

I do realise that I won't be the first person to ask about this, but I couldn't find what I was looking for by searching...

Would someone please point me to a tutorial video or similar that shows how to write pitch bend information in my MIDI tracks. I'm only looking to be able to do the basics. I've found the 'wheel' controller pane, but I can't seem to draw what I want (ie smooth bends).

Thanks as ever,

Dave

8 answers to this question

You should be able to do what you want with automation lanes.  You can also use the Controller pane, as you noted, but it can be harder to draw precise curves. 

https://gaga.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Automation.09.html

You can also use the pattern tools to draw repetitive paterns

https://gaga.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR X3&language=3&help=Tools.13.html

The PRV controller lanes are my go to for entering pitch bends (and all controllers for tat matter)

One reason I use the PRV controller lanes, instead of automation nodes, is because of the Transform Tool. You cannot apply the Transform Tool on automation nodes.

Also, controller events can be manipulated by CAL scripts, whereas automation nodes cannot. I have actually written many CAL scripts that specificity manipulate pitch bend events. I have built these into a Studioware panel that I have written.

For drawing MIDI controllers I usually use the smart tool.  The draw tool could work too.

Personally, I use CAL scripts I have written to create smooth pitch bends.  One even converts a straight line to a smooth curve.

I was curious. Opened a basic project added a synth, and using the virtual keyboard played a few notes. I added a Wheel lane to the controller pane and drew a pitch bend. The first attempt was blocky ( notice the lower part)  so I turned off snap and I was able to draw exactly what I wanted by just holding the left mouse button as I moved it around. No fuss to muss. 

Screenshot (596).png

Edited by JohnnyV
  • Like 1