Recording mode preferences - Prefer 'Overwrite', not 'Comping'

Sven

image.thumb.png.5235f8dce48dfe5c649256163182a80f.png

I'm not sure what causes this but no matter how many times I've changed my preferences to 'Overwrite' for recording mode I get the surprise setting of 'Comping' on new projects. 

Is there something else I have to change to start new projects with my saved preference for this setting?  Is it a Workplace setting??

Thanks.

Recording Mode is in the Project preference settings.

Project preferences are inherited from a template during project creation. Change the project template and all future projects created using the template will reflect the changes. Of course, existing projects require changing one-at-a-time because Project preferences are stored in project and project template files.

To prevent a DAW update from wiping out user created/modifed project templates either:

• use a custom template location - set in Preference > File > Folder Locations, Cakewalk updates the default template location only or,
  • use unique template names - not my choice but it should be pretty easy to create names Cakewalk won't use.

• Like 2

Yes this catches me out all the time. Normally like scook says I have my own templates but if I start a project with a Midi file, as I often might do,  I have to always remember to change that to Overwrite before I lay down any new tracks. It is yet another default that annoys me. To me it should be a global pre set, not per project. 

Hi scook.

In the interest of simplicity, can you please tell me the name of my default project template if I never changed it before? 

I believe it's located here:

C:\Users\Smart\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

image.thumb.png.d36468bb588ded2bfe6e8286ca5cb487.png

This is the only setting I wish to adjust and if I need only edit that file and change it to reflect 'Overwrite' I should be set.   

If it's hipper to have my customized version of the default file and  change Cakewalk settings to use that one that's fine too.   Let's say I wanted my template file to be called 'ProjectTemplate 2023' and have Cakewalk reference that file with this one 'Overwrite' change what would I need to do?

Thanks!

FWIW, several years ago I marked a template I called "My Basic" as my default template. The default had been marked as "Basic."  See the File > New dialog.  There's an option to set any template as the default.  There may be other ways to set a default template, but that's how I did it.

37 minutes ago, Sven said:

This is the only setting I wish to adjust and if I need only edit that file and change it to reflect 'Overwrite' I should be set.  

If it's hipper to have my customized version of the default file and  change Cakewalk settings to use that one that's fine too.   Let's say I wanted my template file to be called 'ProjectTemplate 2023' and have Cakewalk reference that file with this one 'Overwrite' change what would I need to do?

If you really want to change the path for the templates, I suppose you could do that. It might be a matter of personal taste, but given what you wrote, I'd create a template called "Project Template 2023" and mark that as the default for new projects. That way in 2024, you could save a template as "Project Template 2024" and mark that as the default for new projects.  

Caveat: I did this before CbB came out but I think marking custom project templates as default works the same way in CbB.  

Edited by User 905133
to add a Caveat; to include a quote to put my method into context

Default template handling has not changed for some time.

Either method may prevent lost template updates.

The template path is one of the two paths (the other being drum maps) I change in folder preferences both for the same reasons:

1. the aforementioned update issue and
  2. to limit the number of templates and drum maps.

In most cases, I prefer to use directory junctions and leave DAW defaults alone, but directory junctions don't address either issue presented by templates and drum maps.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scook said:

Default template handling has not changed for some time.

Either method may prevent lost template updates.

The template path is one of the two paths (the other being drum maps) I change in folder preferences both for the same reasons:

1. the aforementioned update issue and
  2. to limit the number of templates and drum maps.

In most cases, I prefer to use directory junctions and leave DAW defaults alone, but directory junctions don't address either issue presented by templates and drum maps.

I'm confused. Do Cakewalk updates use the default Template paths assigned by Cakewalk or the paths in File Location Preferences?

When I create templates, I use names not being used by used for the "stock" templates and I think mine are left alone by updates. And when I  change paths, I move the stock content to the new location. Do Cakewalk updates reconstruct the content at the location assigned when Cakewalk was initially installed? 

Cakewalk updates templates in the default path

For example, my template path is set to "D:\customizations\Cakewalk\Project Templates" not the default.

This has been my project path across a couple of OSes, various releases of SONAR and CbB on several PCs.

The only files in the path are the ones I put there.

Cakewalk updates have never written into "D:\customizations\Cakewalk\Project Templates."

The same holds true for drum maps. I have ~30. Practically none of the ones in the folder came with a Cakewalk product and none were added or modified by a Cakewalk update.

• Like 1

I’ll add that you can store templates anywhere you want them including backup drives. But only the ones you place in the folder selected will show on the start screen. 

Like scook I’ve used a custom location on my data drive for years now and all my templates are fine.

I had to change my pathway back to the default C drive location for making the tutorials so it would show the default templates for demonstrating opening new projects. I did that 2 years ago and I just copied a few of my custom templates there as well. They are unscathed after numerous updates.
 They really take up zero space so the default is just fine by me these days. I just like having my back ups on other drives as well. 

Edited by JohnnyV

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.  I think I got the setup I need finally. 

I think there can be some confusion between Cakewalk settings, templates, screensets, workspaces, and whatever as to what you're going to see/hear when you first open a new project.  I don't really find it intuitive but I can always do what I need to do somehow.   

My impression is that other think it's great and powerful.   I find there are too many 'surprises' especially with workspace behavior but it could be because I don't really want to spend a lot of time studying this sort of stuff when I could be having fun.    I try to figure out as quickly as possible what I need to do with app interface stuff so I can get on to the creative stuff.