Masayoshi Takanaka

bitflipper

Some old-school fusion for your Sunday listening enjoyment. Great band, great live mix. With his versatility, subtlety, tasteful use of fx and amazing control, this guy's the Japanese Jeff Beck.

These days I always check out the amplification and sound system. This is kind of my ideal stage setup: no amps other than floor wedges, mains in stereo and not cluttered with excessive low bass.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Some old-school fusion for your Sunday listening enjoyment. Great band, great live mix. With his versatility, subtlety, tasteful use of fx and amazing control, this guy's the Japanese Jeff Beck.

These days I always check out the amplification and sound system. This is kind of my ideal stage setup: no amps other than floor wedges, mains in stereo and not cluttered with excessive low bass.

I think that's exactly what my Sunday was needing!  Thanks Dave! 😎👍

5 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

That's one of the guitars Gibson wished they made

I was going to ask if anyone could identify that guitar. All I could make out in the video was "Yamaha" on the headstock. Pretty much everything on that stage was a Yamaha product. I couldn't identify the line array elements, but they're probably Yamaha, too. Wanna bet he's got a sweet endorsement deal? He was obviously a Strat guy in his early days. Except for his surfboard period.

Anybody else notice that his guitar tech was sitting beside him the whole time? At first, I was trying to figure out what instrument he was playing, then got a side shot of him tuning the other guitar and then handing it off. Usually, techs hide backstage and just run out when needed to swap instruments. I'm guessing that guy does way more than just tune guitars. He's probably a hotshot player himself, maybe even a luthier on the side. And still had to submit a resume along with 100 other people to get the gig.

22 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

I was going to ask if anyone could identify that guitar. All I could make out in the video was "Yamaha" on the headstock. Pretty much everything on that stage was a Yamaha product. I couldn't identify the line array elements, but they're probably Yamaha, too. Wanna bet he's got a sweet endorsement deal? He was obviously a Strat guy in his early days. Except for his surfboard period.

Anybody else notice that his guitar tech was sitting beside him the whole time? At first, I was trying to figure out what instrument he was playing, then got a side shot of him tuning the other guitar and then handing it off. Usually, techs hide backstage and just run out when needed to swap instruments. I'm guessing that guy does way more than just tune guitars. He's probably a hotshot player himself, maybe even a luthier on the side. And still had to submit a resume along with 100 other people to get the gig.

I will confirm to you that the guitar you're looking at is a Yamaha SG-3000, more specifically a SG-T, which was a limited run of 200 made as a signature model for Takanaka.

https://www.j-guitar.com/products/detail.php?id=1000803

I'm gonna take a guess based on the back of his amp head he's using a Suhr Badger:

https://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/suhr-badger-30-2006-2016-1766440.jpg

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino

10 hours ago, bitflipper said:

That was nice thanks .🙂

10 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Sure if you got all the bucks it takes for all that expensive gear. When you factor in everything including all the time it takes to route it all up  for the show I get it You get an uncluttered , simple easy to maintain stage .

I knew he sounded too good to not be using an amp ...The proof is right next to his left leg .

crOiVSN.jpg

Kenny

5 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

That was nice thanks .🙂

Sure if you got all the bucks it takes for all that expensive gear. When you factor in everything including all the time it takes to route it all up  for the show I get it You get an uncluttered , simple easy to maintain stage .

I knew he sounded too good to not be using an amp ...The proof is right next to his left leg .

crOiVSN.jpg

Kenny

Hm... That most likely Dual Rectifier head under the possibly Suhr Badger is a bit hard to spot.

10 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

I believe that amp is his personal stage monitor and probably feeding FoH from a line out off the amp. I say that because there is no obvious microphone visible, and there is no cable plugged into the front panel where you'd normally plug in your guitar. In fact, the input jack seems to be covered with tape.

Plus every time he does a tone change it's from his pedalboard. When he switches guitars the tech, sitting next to said pedalboard, has already plugged it in. The Leslie is clearly an amp sim on the floor, possibly the same electronics used for all of his other tones.

But what do I know? I'm just a keyboard player. :D

9 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

I believe that amp is his personal stage monitor and probably feeding FoH from a line out off the amp. I say that because there is no obvious microphone visible, and there is no cable plugged into the front panel where you'd normally plug in your guitar. In fact, the input jack seems to be covered with tape.

Plus every time he does a tone change it's from his pedalboard. When he switches guitars the tech, sitting next to said pedalboard, has already plugged it in. The Leslie is clearly an amp sim on the floor, possibly the same electronics used for all of his other tones.

But what do I know? I'm just a keyboard player.

You can see a cable plugged into the top head. Wild guess here is he's using the Dual Rectifier as a power amp for the Badger.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino