R.I.P. Electronic Musician

aleo

I received an e-mail today informing me and other subscribers that the August issue of the digital version of Electronic Musician magazine will be the last.  The printed form of EM was phased out about a year ago.  I was sad to see it go, especially the printed version.  I had subscribed to it since the late eighties and it had been my one of my favorite magazines--great articles, interviews with musicians and composers, and excellent reviews of both music-making hardware and software.  In its early years, there were often articles on DIY projects; Bob Moog was a contributor and one of the last articles he wrote was "Build the EM Theremin".   As I recall, EM had its roots in an earlier periodical called Polyphony that was published by PAiA Electronics.  If you remember PAiA synthesizer kits you go back a way.  Back in the seventies, DIY projects (some of you may remember Electronotes) and kits were the only way some of us could get started in electronic music.  It was exciting and fun to build your own gear, especially when it actually worked, and EM grew out of that tradition.  For the future, some of EM's writers may be contributing to a thread at the MusicRadar site, but I'm going to miss EM magazine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3