APD Deal: Skye Dynamics by Signum Audio - 67% Off

cclarry

Tried the Skye Dynamics demo in the Windows version of FL Studio to see how it would handle a problematic vocal track currently using double compression (2 plugins) just to rein it in to where you can ride the fader to make the subtle adjustments.  Maybe not the fairest test but it is the kind of situation where I would envision I'd most need to use a plugin like this.

First impression - not thrilled.
BTW - I totally acknowledge that all of the issues mentioned below may be on me or my system and that YMMV.

• In Fl Studio (latest Windows release) - once you click on the plugin it steals the keyboard focus and you have to click entirely out of the DAW to get it back.
    This means if the DAW is full screen you end up either having to set up a loop while you work with it or control the transport with your mouse.
    Edit: Found quick fix - there an icon on the plugin wrapper to "Allow the plugin to handle keystrokes before the host does"
    image.png.530cf9b822e5cd1a65b1df4ed8f9456f.png
    Clicking it 'off' fixed this issue.
  • the silence periods - where it automutes are particularly annoying.  I totally understand  why it does this but - it seamed to mute every time I was trying to make a sensitive adjustment, then I'd have to use my mouse to reposition the transport and try again, then again, etc.
  • Working out the interactions between the different layers (expansion, compression, limiting) was a bit opaque. I wasn't seeing what I was hearing. 
  • The compression ration of the limiting layer in not adjustable nor explained. Doesn't sound bad but it would be nice to know.

The manual wasn't of much help.  I'll try testing the plugin again later after I watch the walk through video (instead of skimming it) and see how much of my problems with the demo are self inflicted.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1