Intel UHD 770 iGPU - okay for DAW?

Colin Nicholls

I'm considering an i7 or i9 CPU with the Intel UHD 770 integrated GPU.

My gut says that for DAW/Audio work (Cakewalk, etc) that UFH770 iGPU should be fine. If anyone out there has insight on this , please share! If I can forego shelling out for a separate graphics card which will make things in the case just that more cramped and more heat of course.

This video review is concentrating on video editing rather than audio but at least it isn't biased towards hi performance gaming.

FWIW - I'm still using a 3rd gen i7 with the integrated graphics, and Cakewalk runs absolutely fine with it.

In fact, the only apps that seem to struggle are NLE's, and that's only during export.  Of course, most modern games are out the question too.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the hardware is in my hot little hands, and the installation bugs (mostly) ironed out, I can confirm that the integrated UHD 770 GPU is not posing a problem. Everything looks great and seems snappy. I realize that's not all down to the video but whatever.

• Like 2

On my i7-3770 system (similar to Mark's), I found that when I had Console or PRV on a second monitor, sometimes when I switched back and forth, I'd get slower redraws. It didn't really affect my use of the software, it just led to a janky feeling, like I was trying to get more out of it than it was really capable of.

When the i7-3770 came out, I suspect that performance wasn't a big thing for Intel with the integrated graphics, more just a way to make systems cheaper for business users. In subsequent generations, Intel have really upped their game on integrated graphics, so I'm not surprised that the UHD770 graphics would be great at 2D applications like video editing.

My current system has no integrated GPU to test against, the CPU was targeted to hardcore workstation users who would have high end nVidia Quadros. But in general, with the trailing edge hardware I tend to use, a secondary discrete GPU makes a big difference. Also I do play some lower-requirements non-AAA games and it's nice to be able to crank the video quality up to ultra.

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2023 at 4:38 PM, Millzy said:

I recently built an i5-13600K system and have been using the onboard graphics (UHD 770) with Cakewalk, no problem.

Do you mind me asking what motherboard you used with that CPU? Planning a similar build