Where Ghosts Go to Die (alternative instrumental)

Larry T.

Greetings all. This is "Where Ghosts Go to Die". Nits and crits welcomed. Cheers🎶🎶🎶🎶

link: https://larryterrano.bandcamp.com/track/where-ghosts-go-to-die

haunted house with moon 1000x446.jpeg

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab

pc: windows 10, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8GB ram, acoustic and electric guitars, focusrite scarlett solo, arturia minilab mkII, arturia analog lab 5 lite, CbB effects

reference speakers: M-Audio BX3

Edited by Larry T.
  • Like 3

On 6/20/2023 at 12:49 AM, FreeEarCandy said:

Awesome! Very cool composition. 

Thanks so much. This is the song where I learned what a synth's Portamento knob does (example: from 00:27 to 00:34). Cheers🎶🎶🎶🎶

Edited by Larry T.
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 7:10 AM, Rikkie said:

Hi Larry, cool sounds, I like it. Just one thing, judging by that last chord I don't believe the ghost have given up the ghost 😉

Rik

Thanks Rik. I do believe you are right....I'll ring Ghostbusters!!!! Cheers🎶🎶🎶🎶

And it's not even Halloween yet!
Larry, I wasn't sure where you were going with this until I noticed the "alternative" instrumental description.
I like the mood exploration of the guitar, well that's how it hit me.  Nice one.
-Bjorn

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Larry T. said:

Portamento knob

That knob really bends things around. Don't think I've ever seen one on any of the synths I have. Does it go by another name or is it something unique that comes with the synth you are using? I really have to start digging deeper into these synths. They look rather complicated and I often avoid getting tied up learning new stuff while I feel inspired in other areas.

21 hours ago, FreeEarCandy said:

That knob really bends things around. Don't think I've ever seen one on any of the synths I have. Does it go by another name or is it something unique that comes with the synth you are using? I really have to start digging deeper into these synths. They look rather complicated and I often avoid getting tied up learning new stuff while I feel inspired in other areas.

I'm new to synth's too, so, don't know if it has another name.

I've watched some YouTube synth How to Play tutorials and found this stuff, which explains controls that every synth has, has helped:

☆Oscillator-creates the sound
☆Filter-cuts unwanted frequencies
☆LFO-effect to add movement
☆ADSR(Amplitude) Envelope-affects the timing

I'm using Analog Lab V Lite by Arturia. I really can't praise the wide spectrum of musical possibilities it offers enough. Here's a screen shot showing the Portamento control (not all of the synths have it, guess it depends on the type of audio it can affect):

Portamento.jpg

Edited by Larry T.

On 6/22/2023 at 1:28 AM, bjornpdx said:

And it's not even Halloween yet!
Larry, I wasn't sure where you were going with this until I noticed the "alternative" instrumental description.
I like the mood exploration of the guitar, well that's how it hit me.  Nice one.
-Bjorn

Thanks Bjorn. Yes, the mood exploration using the guitar chords was the center of this piece. There are augmented, diminished, ninth....any chord that could convey a spooky scenario. In fact, the intro uses one of the Arturia Augmented Strings synths that is playing midi notes that I wrote for SI Strings for the outro but is being played much faster than the outro and with different audio textures and effects.

Edited by Larry T.

On 6/24/2023 at 1:37 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Larry

This is great - a really good composition, very nicely played and a good mix

Excellent

Nigel

Thanks so much Nigel. It's not really a song and it's not really a soundscape....maybe a songscape???? Slowly but seemingly surely my "mixing ears" are getting the hang of it🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 3:33 PM, treesha said:

Somewhere there is a film this should go with ! quite soundtrack-y. Very nice piece with evocative moments, textures and moods.

Thanks treesha. Wanted to do something different. Cheers🎶🎶🎶🎶

On 6/27/2023 at 4:01 PM, David Rossi said:

Nice melodic sparse use of the guitar.  Very impactful.  Definitely a soundtrack looking for a short film feel… 

Thanks David. Agree with you and treesha, the piece would be a nice match with a short film or specific sequence in a longer one. Cheers🎶🎶🎶🎶

On 7/2/2023 at 7:59 AM, Wookiee said:

Interesting idea that even as a ghost the mantel of ultimate death still haunts one.

Very gothic building. 

Yes, I thought that notion would be an interesting idea to explore musically, the title was the first thing I thought of and the music followed🎶🎶🎶🎶